• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single fathers in Infantry trade... experiences, thoughts?

NomadWarriorSoul

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I couldn't find any references via the search tool so I thought I'd ask for other peoples' thoughts and experiences.  I've asked recruiters a plethora of questions, but what I think I need to fill in the blanks now is some insight from serving members not involved in recruitment.

I've been working towards a career in the forces for quite some time now.  Legal obligations have forced me to put this on hold.  Now, I find myself in the position of probably taking full custody of my daughter(1.5 years old) and possibly my ex's son as well (not biologically mine, but you try telling my heart that I'm not his dad... he's 4.5 years old and I'm the only father he's ever known).

I spent my whole life wanting the combat arms trade, but I'm realistically looking at the facts of going through training and being posted.  I made my peace years ago about the idea I wouldn't be home all the time for any children I might have, but this isn't quite the scenario I had in mind at the time either.

I'm more aware than the average person what sort of life the Forces offers, and I understand that there are great family supports in place.  I've made arrangements for the kids to stay with my family during training until I'd be permitted to have them with me.  It's not that I think I'll be single forever... I really have no problems female wise, I'm only single because I've chosen to be, but I feel this has no place in my decision making process.

Has anyone else out there gone through enlistment in similar circumstances?  I'm very interested to hear from anyone who has either gone through enlistment/training as a single father, or anyone out there who's already sworn in and posted who can give me some insight on the challenges of child care while a member of a combat arms trade... more specifically Infantry.

Thank you,

J

Nomad, you should look into the resources the MFRC offers. I know in Ottawa, there are various daycares that they coordinate (I may become one of them after I move up there). I'm sure other bases have similar resources from their MFRC. I'm sure it's doable, but you'll need your family's support a lot.

I'm currently living in Windsor, trying to sell the house, so my 19 month old daughter and I can join my husband in Ottawa, while he's on his GeoTech QL5a course. He CT/OT'd in from the PRes, so I have no experience in parenting through his BMQ/SQ/etc. Being a single parent is not exactly fun, especially when you don't have family or friends nearby who you can trust with the kids (that's my situation). Get your support system in place, and it should be doable.

Back