• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shrunken Boots?

catalyst

Reaction score
So a bit of an embarassing conundrum and am trying to find a solution before going to clothing stores........ Figured someone with  more field experience would have some advice:

I was on a cadet FTX last december in Chilliwack where it poured all weekend..........saturday night as we were around the fire, my feet started to ache and by the end of the night, I was in a lot of pain. I chocked it up not wearing them since September and doing more physical activity than normal on the FTX.  I'm pretty physically active so it wasn't a shock to the system.

The next day I couldn't get my feet in my boots. I tried everythign - icing them, re-lacing them, changing to a thinner sock........finally I managed to squeeze my feet in them without socks, and with liberal application of dishsoap.  When I got back to Victoria I realized that my feet were all bruised and still sore (and quite swollen - I could barely get my oxfords on the next day).

I have never had a problem with my boots - have had them for 2.5 years and although I have issues doing them up to the top (thanks to a genetic issue with my legs, thanks mom!) they fit great and are comfortable.

So after all this rambling:

I know that boots can be moulded to one's feet with hot water or a heat source - but can they actually shrink? and if so, is it possible for them to be stretched back? and any thoughts on how to keep this from happening again?

Did the boots shrink, or did your feet swell?

Wet leather too close to the campfire will cause them to shrink, but I don't think they would have shrunk that much to cause injury. Anyway, if you haven't cooked the leather, you may be able to give them a real good soak until they are saturated, and then try wear them til dry. They MAY stretch back to fit you.

Loachman said:
Did the boots shrink, or did your feet swell?

I'm not sure - the boots fit smaller now.

I'm going to give them a good soak and hope they stretch back to the way they were....I am quite fond of them.

Back