• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should I go to College?

Cammyyy said:
sadly i dont play Afghan Operations....Also I'm not looking at becoming an officer, but a soldier

You do realize that all soldiers become officers if the progress in their field with some skill. You'd just end up being an officer under the NCM stream - unless you're one of those extremely rare (if existent) people who turn down promotions?

Vimy_gunner said:
You do realize that all soldiers become officers if the progress in their field with some skill. You'd just end up being an officer under the NCM stream - unless you're one of those extremely rare (if existent) people who turn down promotions?

Now I know that this comment is going to be very confusing for many, so can you expand you your thought processes in making this statement? 

Vimy_gunner said:
Oh I didnt know that. I thought to be an officer I had to go to RMC, which I cant and have no desire to.

Cammyyy said:
Oh I didnt know that. I thought to be an officer I had to go to RMC, which I cant and have no desire to.

RMC is simple, and not difficult if you push yourself early on. If you think you can't hack it at the charm school, mil life may not be for you. RMC is only the beginning.

oh I know but by can't I mean the majority of my courses are college level, and isnt RMC actually a university?

I just went straight into university from high school. Maybe somebody can explain to me that difference between college courses and university courses. Are college courses just courses at a post-secondary level that don't necessary lead to a degree?

Never taken any university level courses but as I understand it college courses and uni courses are on completely seperate playing fields (not sure if one is more difficult than the other) That being said you can often take university level courses while attending college and transfer those credits over.  My :2c:

RTG :cdn:

readytogo said:
Never taken any university level courses but as I understand it college courses and uni courses are on completely seperate playing fields (not sure if one is more difficult than the other) That being said you can often take university level courses while attending college and transfer those credits over.  My :2c:

RTG :cdn:

It depends actually, most colleges/universities have agreement in place governing how this works.  In some cases a 2 year College Diploma in a specific field can grant you 2 years towards a Baccalaureate Degree in  related field (example, Diploma in Fitness and Lifestyle Management -> 4 Kinesiology degree).  Other times any diploma can count for credit for any degree.  It also depends on your grades, and the course content.  When you get a course outline KEEP IT, without one it is a PAIN to get transfer credit.  There are no real hard and fast rule, like I said each institution is different, and everyone of the will offer something different for transfer credits, which is why it is critical to READ THOROUGHLY the program outlines and course calendars to make sure that yes, you can in fact transfer credit and not start at the bottom again.

pudd13 said:
I just went straight into university from high school. Maybe somebody can explain to me that difference between college courses and university courses. Are college courses just courses at a post-secondary level that don't necessary lead to a degree?
Community Colleges/Technical Colleges, offer programs predominantly 1,2,3 year programs that lead to certificates, diplomas, advanced diplomas (in Ontario anyway).  The programs are usually technical programs, in that they provide a very focused direction to learn a specific skill (or skills in a specific field), and aside from a couple of general education electives, you program's course of study is laid out for you, you have no real choice in the matter.  Most courses are practical in nature, with very little in the way of theory.

University Courses/Programs, are the opposite.  Heavy on the theory, and greater liberty (most cases) to pick and choose the courses you to, in order to complete your degree.

Some Colleges may offer Degrees/Joint Degrees, but these are invariable done in conjunction with a participating university, the idea is to offer the theoretical/critical thinking component of university, with the hands on skills/practical training offered by college.

Here is a link to all the colleges in Ontario that offer the Military Arts and Science Diploma, and in what fashion they offer it.

http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/portal/page/portal/ONTCOL/SearchResult?Ntt=Military&Ntx=mode%20matchallany&Ntk=EnglishAll&QSo.x=1&QSo.y=1&metaTagParam=nil

Back