• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shipped Vehicle

HERCtech

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey...First post
Recently posted and had a vehicle shipped through the military.  Shows up with fairly major scratches to the tune of $500.  Call shipping company, and they promise to sort it out in three weeks.  Three MONTHS later they decide to give us an answer.  Shipping company says they only cover "violent impact", whatever that is.  Anyone go to arbitration or through the chain of command for this sort of thing?  Otherwise I am out of pocket for the $500.
Thanks

Talk to the people who set up the shipping.
I would asume that the vehicle was inspected when you dropped it off - and that you indicated the scratches when you picked it up at destination.  Have them show you where they only cover the violent impact (AKA Dings) and then talk to the people who set you up with the shipper..... claim it!

Thanks for quick reply.
The shipper acknowledges that they did the damage, it was their driver who pointed it out when they dropped it off.  I called today and the conversation was;
Me-"So you did $500 dollars damage to my car and aren't going to do anything about it?"
Them-"That is the arrangement, yes"
Went to F+E traffic, and they suggested small claims court.  Really don't like that option

HERCtech said:
Thanks for quick reply.
The shipper acknowledges that they did the damage, it was their driver who pointed it out when they dropped it off.  I called today and the conversation was;
Me-"So you did $500 dollars damage to my car and aren't going to do anything about it?"
Them-"That is the arrangement, yes"
Went to F+E traffic, and they suggested small claims court.  Really don't like that option

I would think DND would step up and take it to court. Not yourself only.

I hope the military helps.
If you are posted, check into the moving company.  I found out this particular shipper only insures violent impacts.  They could burn your car to the ground or scratch every single panel, and deny your claim because it was not a violent impact.

HERCtech said:
Address this through the CoC as that answer in quite unacceptable. DND contracted the carriers service and as such must address these issues as well. Rather it sounds to me as though both the Carrier and F&E are trying to ignore the issue rather then addressing it.

My suggestion.... file your claim thru your CoC and let THEM take the carrier to small claims court - should they so desire.

Well, only took 6+ moths, but we finally got payment.
We went to base traffic, who sent an e-mail up to NDHQ, who sent many nasty-grams to shipping company.
Remember to go over your vehciles with a fine tooth comb upon arrival.  Take pictures of any damage.  I wanted to track down the shipping service rep, but the military actually did a pretty good job on it's own.  The company actually sent the cheque straight to the body shop.

Thanks for all the advice

I have shipped two vehicles so far in my career, luckily without incident.  Good info to know for future moves.  Also I would like to mention that DND/IRP will not ship vehicles that are more than 10 years old.  It is up to the member to find a carrier and make the arrangement.  IRP will cover the costs, I don't remember if is a core or customized expense, and Base Traffic will give you the name and numbers of the carriers they use.  I had to ship an 18 year old jeep during my last move in 06.  Very easy process. 

RMSCLK,

Is this a new rule? I have never heard of this one. What the heck difference does it make what age the car is? If it is the sole vehicle being shipped, it should come from core, no?

I was lucky; my vehicle arrived undamaged from Germany, but the 300 bucks spent cleaning it was wasted (had to be spotless to pass Customs). It was sitting in the mud with half an inch of dust on it when I picked it up in Ottawa! :rage:

Where does IRP get this stuff from anyway? What a crock ::)

CDN Aviator,

I realize that, I was merely being sarcastic. But I do think it's a ridiculous rule (and typical of the Treasury Board mentality). If runs, has valid registration and plates, and is safe, ship it like any other vehicle and stop splitting hairs...

One of my vehicles is an '89; it's my baby, and certainly not a junker! :)

Not a new rule although it used to be 15 years - don't recall the reason for it anymore, believe it had something to do with contracting from the company. Have to see if my contacts are still good as it has me curious again.

updated:  have checked and according to contact F&E contract still says vehicle over 15 years may be rejected by carrier.

Shipment of vehicles on a move are covered under the CFIRP policy as quoted:

9.3.02 Shipment of vehicle by commercial carrier

CF members must ship their PMV under the HGRS contract when the service is available. Shipping and transportation costs are reimbursed as follows:

Core benefit Primary PMV including motorcycle (when the primary mode of travel to the new location is by commercial carrier.)

Custom benefit Secondary PMV including motorcycle.

Personalized benefit Additional PMVs including motorcycle.

Delivery of vehicle Actual and reasonable expenses, including a maximum of one-day meal expenses, associated with delivery and pick-up of vehicle to the point of shipment.

Surprised to hear that F&E initially fluffed you off - worked in a F&E section briefly and we always jumped on complaints.  Had contacts at every shipping company and they were always quick to help out when we called them.

Crap this scares me somedays. I have 4 cars and want to ship two of them but im worried about them screwing me.

Glad something came out of it.

Just thought I would mention - If you have a motorbike you may be able to get the shipping company to accept it with your F&E and put it on the truck. Doing this would mean you get to ship 2 vehicles (your bike and car) with the car covered under core. Saves you room on your custom and personalized benefits if you have multiple vehicles.

Back