• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shake Hands with the Devil now a movie

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
The ad says it's in theaters 28 Sept.  I hope it plays here, if not, I may purchase the DVD.  Looks good.

Movie website

Considering it's by the producers of Bowling for Columbine, I'll keep my hopes low. I'll still go see it, but I don't expect anything even passable.

Hotel Rowanda was worth watching.
Pure fiction inspired by a true story or whatever.....
Nick Nolte wasn't very convincing as a Canadian though..... ;D

I'm keen to see this movie, if only to see how it compares to the book.

Yes, it's really impressive that you've kept an open mind after so many years.

Freddy G said:
Considering it's by the producers of Bowling for Columbine, I'll keep my hopes low. I'll still go see it, but I don't expect anything even passable.

And I'm sure you'll base your analysis on your keen insights into the Rwandan conflict, and your vast experience in peacekeeping and combat operations?

Kat Stevens said:
And I'm sure you'll base your analysis on your keen insights into the Rwandan conflict, and your vast experience in peacekeeping and combat operations?

So because I don't think the producer of Bowling for Columbine can produce anything worth watching, it means I'm criticizing Dallaire, the mission, and generally what happened in Rwanda?

Seriously, how retardedly biased against me can you be?

Yup, retarded, that's me.  Welcome back to the school yard, poopy pants.

I'm not the one making baseless accusations and demeaning others because of their cinematic opinions.

To imply that I'm biased against you is to assume that your existence is somehow relevant to me.  I assure you, I have no bias to you, retarded or otherwise.

Freddy G said:
Then why do you keep making these useless comments?

Because to some on this site Dallaire is their hero. To say otherwise is to bring down their righteous wrath. ::)
I agree with you, anything by the producers of Bowling for Columbine is deserving of ridicule and scorn. I'll save my 10 bucks thanks.

Dallaire is no hero of mine.  To base an opinion of the as yet unseen merits of a film based on the production company is ludicrous.  Producers are in the biz (that's Hollywood speak) to make money.  Base opinions on factual content, cinematography, writing, or acting, but not on who put up the front money.

Kudos on the film.

Canadian made.  We have almost lost the industry in Canada (and me a job).  

Shake Hands with the Devil Credits

Peter Raymont

Lindalee Tracey

White Pines Pictures

Other than Bowling for Columbine, were any of the other productions associated to the above, as deserving of anyone's ire?

Oops, sorry for weighing with some retardedly long winded facts, I guess my Hero worship is getting the better of me.... ::)

dileas

tess

2 Cdo said:
Because to some on this site Dallaire is their hero. To say otherwise is to bring down their righteous wrath. ::)
I agree with you, anything by the producers of Bowling for Columbine is deserving of ridicule and scorn. I'll save my 10 bucks thanks.

10 bucks?!!! Going rate here is at least 13$. With popcorn, and pop it's a clean 25-30$. I don't know if it's worth it. But I do know that once again our national ethos/identity is being portrayed/celebrated through sufferage (think Beaumont-Hamil, Halifax explosion, treatment of Natives, and anything else that would be worthy of a 'heritage moment' commercial. Hell, even the standout feature at Vimy is the 3500 soldiers who died there (god rest their souls), not the fact that we did something that others failed to accomplish. For once I'd love to see something based on a victory, something uplifting.

That said, I'm not trying to take away from the tragedy of Rwanda or anything

Freddy G said:
... because I don't think the producer of Bowling for Columbine can produce anything worth watching...
  I assume that you are referring to Michael Donovan, as he appears to be the only overlap among the producers of "Shake Hands..." and "Bowling...".

Shake Hands with the Devil (2007)
Produced by
Laszlo Barna....  producer 
Norman Denver ....  line producer 
Michael Donovan ....  producer 
Phil Hunt ....  executive producer 
Martin Katz ....  executive producer 
Jan Peter Meyboom ....  supervising producer 
David Reckziegel ....  executive producer 
Compton Ross ....  executive producer 
Steven Silver ....  executive producer 
Neil Tabatznik ....  executive producer   

Directed by
Roger Spottiswoode 

Bowling for Columbine (2002)
Produced by
Chris Aldred ....  field producer 
Gillian Aldrich ....  field producer 
Charles Bishop ....  producer 
Jim Czarnecki ....  producer 
Michael Donovan ....  producer 
Kurt Engfehr ....  co-producer 
Jeff Gibbs ....  field producer 
Kathleen Glynn ....  producer 
Tia Lessin ....  supervising producer 
Michael Moore ....  producer 
Meghan O'Hara ....  field producer 
Siobhan Oldham ....  line producer 
Charlie Siskel ....  field producer 
Wolfram Tichy ....  executive producer 
Rehya Young ....  coordinating producer 

I must agree with CSA 105 in his opinion that you appear to situate the estimate, (as well as not making a good recce).  In the above quote we are given the opinion that there is nothing that the referenced producer could make that would be worthwhile watching (for your entertainment needs), yet more than once on this means you have heaped praise on Rick Mercer whose success was in some measure due to this producer.  With a little research you would have discovered that Mr. Donovan (beside being a co-founder of Salter Street Films) was also a producer of "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" and "Rick Mercer's Talking to Americans"

Freddy G said:
Just for the record, Rick Mercer is one of the most awesome people ever to be on the CBC.

Just my opinion, but I think linking someones potential future as a leader to what their movie tastes are is starting to get a little ridiculous.  The guy doesn't particularly like the work so far of the movie producer.  Big deal.  That's his opinion. 

dynaglide said:
Just my opinion, but I think linking someones potential future as a leader to what their movie tastes are is starting to get a little ridiculous.  The guy doesn't particularly like the work so far of the movie producer.  Big deal.  That's his opinion. 

Making a judgement without founded background, is not a reason to criticise ones leadership ability?

I will retire to bedlam then.  Here is  hoping you serve with him one day.

dileas

tess

Wonder if they will show how the Belgians were left to fight it out themselves, another victim movie "Dallaire" when in doubt shoot first.

the 48th regulator said:
Making a judgement without founded background, is not a reason to criticise ones leadership ability?

I will retire to bedlam then.  Here is  hoping you serve with him one day.

dileas

tess

Yes, yes, we all know you don't like me. Is your life so empty that you need to inject your bitterness in every single thread I post into?

Back