• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Senior military leader: Canadians 'overly comfortable' as global security shifts

rnkelly

Reaction score
In a year-end interview Commander CJOC was quoted as saying Canadians are “overly comfortable”. Personally I find the comment to be very appropriate. However, I also wonder (similar to the recent CRCN video) if these comments were supported by DM, MND, PMO etc.

In a year-end interview Commander CJOC was quoted as saying Canadians are “overly comfortable”. Personally I find the comment to be very appropriate. However, I also wonder (similar to the recent CRCN video) if these comments were supported by DM, MND, PMO etc.

"Overly comfortable" is an understatement. A lot of them are complacent, fat and have no concern for anyone but themselves.

I also wonder (similar to the recent CRCN video) if these comments were supported by DM, MND, PMO etc.

I'd go two out of three on that list (excluding etc).

PMO is a partisan office.

DM and MND?

How long does it take for a department to capture its minister? The leaks that we have seen proliferating recently from security related departments might suggest that the "establishment" is becoming concerned and making itself known.

I would be shocked if CRCN and CCJOC stepped out of their lane so publicly without consultation from those folks.

Agreed, I don’t think they were reckless and went public without first advising/consulting higher. I just think they may not have been as receptive to feedback as their masters would have preferred/expected. Specifically, describing the Canadian public as “overly confident” and “naive” seems like strong language to me.

On the other hand, I wonder what’s the point of saying this in his position. Does he think the public will take notice. Who would it take to say this to get the public to be less “overly confident” and “naive”? Is there anyone…

In a year-end interview Commander CJOC was quoted as saying Canadians are “overly comfortable”.

Canadians don’t have to look too far, but the threats are already on our soil. The latest marches in Canadian cities are not against Israel or Jews, but they are against western society and culture. We should look at securing our own domestic issues first.

On the other hand, I wonder what’s the point of saying this in his position. Does he think the public will take notice. Who would it take to say this to get the public to be less “overly confident” and “naive”? Is there anyone…
I would say those words are not specifically directed at the Canadian public, but Canadians writ large ... including.... politicians 😉.

See, CCJOC can't directly call out Parliamentarians, the PMO, the Cabinet, or the Opposition; lest he slips in the shower and onto his sword.

Instead, "Canadians" are "overly confident" and "naive." Which "Canadians" are setting our Defence and National Security policies? Not Joe and Mary in Port Aux Basque or Jamrath in Brampton.....

I would say those words are not specifically directed at the Canadian public, but Canadians writ large ... including.... politicians 😉.

See, CCJOC can't directly call out Parliamentarians, the PMO, the Cabinet, or the Opposition; lest he slips in the shower and onto his sword.

Instead, "Canadians" are "overly confident" and "naive." Which "Canadians" are setting our Defence and National Security policies? Not Joe and Mary in Port Aux Basque or Jamrath in Brampton.....

Interesting point you raise, I think you might have something there.

I wonder if it has the desired effect or just pisses off the EXs of the world. For example (but not limited to); I could see some GAC DGs and ADMs being mightily insulted by someone in uniform speaking up. Hope I’m wrong though.

I wonder if it has the desired effect or just pisses off the EXs of the world. For example (but not limited to); I could see some GAC DGs and ADMs being mightily insulted by someone in uniform speaking up. Hope I’m wrong though.

You can fill a warehouse with things GAC fucks up on their own accord, without the CAF so much as breathing in the same room.

It holds them accountable, if anything, to have a dissenting narrative from the "Canada's back, convening, soft power, rules based international order" one they push. Our allies and partners listen to both.

If the GAC DMs, ADMs et al get their face in a knot because an L1 Comd is telling it like it is, vice parroting the party line... do better. If they end up calling for blood becauae "CCJOC made us look bad..." I guarantee you our international partners will call us out for the whitewash.

We live in a modestly democratic, constitutional monarchy; one in which our military serves the Crown and not the government realpolitik. Our job is to defend the Canadian interests of the Crown (and his subjects) against their enemies. That doesn't have a party line to follow.

"Overly comfortable" is an understatement. A lot of them are complacent, fat and have no concern for anyone but themselves.
I totally agree, and then some. I would say Canadians are “dangerously comfortable” with their wishful thinking. It seems we’ve reverted back to the late pre-war years of 1937-38. The schools have done a pretty piss-poor job of instilling in their students the most valuable lessons of history.

You can fill a warehouse with things GAC fucks up on their own accord, without the CAF so much as breathing in the same room.

GAC…home of the awesome Stabilization and Reconstruction Task Force (START), that leaps ahead of all other Canadian Departments with lightening speed and robust consolidated synergistically synchronized pan-governmental coherence, to remediate problems around the world…just ask them, or (picking through GAC’s own-bath water infused word salad) read it for yourself.

Anecdotally, GAC’s (then DFAIT’s) START was what Gen Hillier asked about Canada providing back in 2005, and when the answer was “18-months, we’ll be there!” he realized they were in fact somewhat less than ‘robust and responsive’ and sent the Mil-Civ Strategic Advisory Team (SAT) in instead with about 8-weeks notice to move. GAC regional staff back in the Pearson Bldg on Sussex were openly hostile to anyone involved with the SAT, including the Ambassador at the time (Chris Alexander) and the CIDA Head of Aid. About one of the worst examples of GAC talking themselves up when they have little to back it up and show for it.

I completely agree. Describing the situation as "overly comfortable" doesn't fully capture the extent of the issue. Many individuals seem complacent, overweight, and display a lack of consideration for others.

Back