• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Self-Harm/Suicide Attempts/ And other Serious Mental Health Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this thread http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/112199.0.html if you require further information you need to speak with medical personnel at the recruiting center.

Hatchet Man
Milnet.ca Staff

I've been thinking of joining the the forces via ROTP for a while now, but I've been waiting until the end of the year when I get my high school diploma to apply. I'm twenty years old, and when I was sixteen years old I attempted suicide twice, and have visible scarring on my arms from that same time period. I'm fine now, am a very active person, and am at the top of my class (I attend a dual university / high school program). Would this history give me an automatic DQ? I haven't been able to find relevant information pertaining to Canada on this issue. Any input would be great.

Additional information: I was hospitalized, but was never diagnosed with any mental illnesses.

The best advice someone on here can give you is to speak to a recruiter and/or your local CFRC medical staff. They will be able to give you an accurate and up-to-date answer for your question.

I wish you the best of luck :)

There are multiple threads about mental health and enrolling already, along with advice regarding information of a personal/specific nature that cannot be addressed here.  Read those threads.

Hatchet Man
Army.ca Staff

I merged several topics regarding "serious" mental health issues  (suicidal tendencies/self harm/bi-polar issues etc.) into one as they all have 2 thing in common.

1) your chances of getting in are to put it bluntly are very very remote.
2) That said, for a DEFINATIVE ANSWER, ONLY MEDICAL STAFF AT A RECRUITING CENTRE CAN SAY YEA OR NAY.  As well you WILL have to go through ALL THE PRECEEDING APPLICATION STEPS FIRST.  Full Stop.

You may not like that, and may not want to go through all those steps...tough.

You may think you are "special"  or your issue is really not that serious.  You aren't special, and how serious your problem is (and whether or not to let you join), is for THE CAF to decide.  Not you, your mother or your doctor.

For Further information see this post.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/112199.0

Any further posts, will be removed, because you will not receive an answer different from what I just posted.

Okay so i'm not sure where exactly this thread should go so I put it here. I have been in the recruitment process now for 8 months and was just comming on the end of the process with the back ground check, when I recieved a later stating that I have failed the medical and am deemed unfit for service.

Now that statement I do not agree with, what caused this letter to be sent was a suicide attempt 2 years ago, I am 19 and that was a 1 and only attempt in my life, I feel stupid about it and am past this, Doing much better an believe I am fit and will continue to be. I have dreamed of a career with the Canadian Forces since I was 9 years old, so you can guess how shattering this letter was but there is hope even if just a little bit. Some say that if you have any mental health issues in the past you will be unable to join at all. However in this letter it said 2 things on that the reason was for "Suicidal Ideation in which I was hospitalized for 1-2 days." what that makes me think is that on record they don't have an accual attempt on there but rather suicidal thoughts, this may help me a little bit, and lastly in the letter it stated I may appeal or wait 12 months and be reconsidered.

I talked to the recruiter and captain there and he said that I can work on my medical issues and my file will stay open untill the background check is complete and once complete he will close my file, but did state "Its only a matter of reopening it when you are ready."

So what I would like some advice on and my questions are...

~ Will the fact that it says I may be reconsidered actually mean I'll be reconsidered or will I just get denied again for the same thing? like are they saying this to avoid discouraging me or will they legit reconsider me, and look past this if there are no new or further issues?

~ With that said Should I try and appeal or just wait the 12 months "9 months now".

~ Will I ever be able to join the army with this on my medical record/should I try again and keep fighting it?

Now this is my dream so I won't go easy no matter if it takes me 1 year or 5 years to get in but the question is do I stand a chance?

Thanks for your time guys I would really like some anwsers so that I can do everything possible to make this dream come true.

Did you receive any kind of therapy following the event or were you only hospitalized for a couple of days?

I wish to join the army as soon as i finish my studies.. So far i've done alot of research and i'm ready for all the guarding duties and digging holes to be used as a toilet but what scares me is my medical history... When i was young (12 to 17) i had alot of mental problems that i've overlapped since i'm 19. I'm currently 23 and i'm physically and mentally healthy, suicidal tendancy's and such has been gone for the past 4 years and i throughly enjoy life... But what scares me the most is...If all of my problems been solved 4 years ago and i even have psychologues and industrial psychologues saying i'm able to join the army in my current state... Is my dream still viable? Will the army overlook my problematic past and see that i have no problems anymore?

Edit : I would like to add that i've never done drugs, i have by no means any diseases or handicap that would hinder any physical process.. I'm only scared of the old paperwork.

bookibaloush said:
I'm currently 23 and i'm physically and mentally healthy, suicidal tendancy's and such has been gone for the past 4 years and i throughly enjoy life...

You may find this discussion of interest,

The Recruiting Office > Enrollment Medical > Self-Harm/Suicide Attempts/ And other Serious Mental Health Issues
http://army.ca/forums/threads/69787.0/nowap.html
2 pages.

See also,

Common Enrollment Medical Standards?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/116510.0
OP: "I've read about self-harm on here but it doesn't really give a definite answer so I thought it may be listed on what sort of self-harm would disqualify you"

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

bookibaloush said:
wish to join the army as soon as i finish my studies.. So far i've done alot of research and i'm ready for all the guarding duties and digging holes to be used as a toilet but what scares me is my medical history... When i was young (12 to 17) i had alot of mental problems that i've overlapped since i'm 19. I'm currently 23 and i'm physically and mentally healthy, suicidal tendancy's and such has been gone for the past 4 years and i throughly enjoy life... But what scares me the most is...If all of my problems been solved 4 years ago and i even have psychologues and industrial psychologues saying i'm able to join the army in my current state... Is my dream still viable? Will the army overlook my problematic past and see that i have no problems anymore?

TL:DR no longer have any mental problems, overcomed all of my traumas but scared that my old paperwork will block the way for me and my dream

See also,

My dream is to join the army but my medical history scares me
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/122849/post-1431706.html#msg1431706

bookibaloush said:
I wish to join the army as soon as i finish my studies.. So far i've done alot of research and i'm ready for all the guarding duties and digging holes to be used as a toilet but what scares me is my medical history... When i was young (12 to 17) i had alot of mental problems that i've overlapped since i'm 19. I'm currently 23 and i'm physically and mentally healthy, suicidal tendancy's and such has been gone for the past 4 years and i throughly enjoy life... But what scares me the most is...If all of my problems been solved 4 years ago and i even have psychologues and industrial psychologues saying i'm able to join the army in my current state... Is my dream still viable? Will the army overlook my problematic past and see that i have no problems anymore?

Edit : I would like to add that i've never done drugs, i have by no means any diseases or handicap that would hinder any physical process.. I'm only scared of the old paperwork.

Thank you very much! From what i gathered i'll be given a fair chance of explaning myself and having no addiction problems of any sort with my old medication greatly increases my chances. Thanks you very much it eases my mind.

bookibaloush said:
Thank you very much!

You are welcome. Good luck.  :) The discussions and opinions you read on here are not official. As it says at the bottom of the page, "Unofficial site, not associated with DND."

As a disclaimer, I say again: "As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information."

For reference, perhaps "My dream is to join the army but my medical history scares me." will be merged with "Self-Harm/Suicide Attempts/ And other Serious Mental Health Issues"
http://army.ca/forums/threads/69787.0/nowap.html
2 pages.

Thanks. I contacted a recruiter by e-mail about my case so i can have an official answer :). I dont think going there in person would help my case since i'm not meeting the 24 credits requirement :/

bookibaloush - Welcome to Army.ca.

Did you read the Conduct Guidelines?  Especially this part?
... You will not spam the boards. This is usually described as making the same post over and over, or the same post to multiple forums or threads. Accounts that are believed to be registered by bots or spammers will be immediately banned ...

Please read the rules, follow them, and have some patience - a single post with a single question will get dealt with.

Army.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back