• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking some advice

Foxtrot666

Inactive
Reaction score
I've decided the CAF is where my passion lies. I have a couple of questions, regarding reserves, and Regular forces.

I'm 19, so I should be done high school, but of course, I decided to slack off and now I'm behind. I'd like to graduate high school before I apply for the CAF, but I still want to involve myself right now as much as possible until that's done.
I estimate I could finish my schooling in around a year and a half. I was thinking about joining my local Reserves for now, and then once I graduate, switch to regular forces. Is this a good idea? How long does it generally take to be accepted into the reserves? I read on another thread that joining the reserves if you plan on joining regular forces is a bad idea, is this true?

Are the reserves as tough, in terms of training, as regular forces, and are the instructors as harsh? Honestly, I lack discipline, which is a big reason of why I want to join the forces.

Also, another question. My friend also wishes to join the regular forces. What are the chances we could be assigned to the same platoon/section? If I were to inquire about it, would I even have a chance, or are you just placed wherever you are needed? Honestly, it wouldn't kill me to not be in the same section as him, but it would be nice to share the experiences together.

Thanks!

Foxtrot666

Welcome to the forums. I say finish high school before going reg force. It helps in all aspects of your life.

I can't touch on reserve training as I was reg force then reserve then reg again but the courses are mostly the same just sometimes shorter and done on weekends or during the summer when your not in school.

As for the friends and platoons. If you both go reserve at the same unit you have a likelyhood of being on the same battery and company. If you go reg you can be posted anywhere your trade is.

Welcome to Army.ca, Foxtrot666.

There is much discussion about this here already. Please take the time to explore older threads on this Site and try the Search Function. This saves others' valuable time repeating earlier answers, saves DS the effort of merging threads of repetitive questions and answers, new new people the effort of wading through them, and rewards you by providing answers to other questions before you even think of them.

Thanks for the advice!
I'll do that as well, sorry for the inconvenience.
The welcome is much appreciated.

Foxtrot666

Back