• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Secret RCMP report warns Canadians may revolt once they realize how broke they are" (NatPost/Postmedia)

I think a lot of the newer MP's go to Ottawa with a belief to make the system better, but are quickly demoralized and kept in their place by both the Party and by the bureaucracy ...
For sure.
... "It's not the party that elects you, but your voters here. Will you stand up to the party when you know what they proposes is very bad for your riding?" They look very uncomfortable when asked that.
The canned response from most winning parties tends to be, "the electors voted for you, but it's our fearless leader and our machine that helped get you there." Something like "dance with the one that brung ya" sorta thing.
Well, that's honesty. They could have explicitly stated, Yes I will stand up to the Party. A Liberal/NDP would say that for sure.
Full honesty would have been the same answer - maybe with ".... or get thrown out and not be able to represent your interests as well."

That's what they believed in North and West Van, but the fallout from the closure of the Kits Coast Guard base and the appalling way they handled it, cost them two seats that they might have held unto. The CPC are utterly bad liars, the Libs are excellent liars telling people what they want to hear and doing what they want anyways. Had the two MP gone a backbone, they might have held their seats.

Full honesty would have been the same answer - maybe with ".... or get thrown out and not be able to represent your interests as well."

How well can an MP represent the constituency inside the Party when confronting the Party machine behind closed doors. At least as an independent the member gets to assert their individual parliamentary privileges in public.

The canned response from most winning parties tends to be, "the electors voted for you, but it's our fearless leader and our machine that helped get you there." Something like "dance with the one that brung ya" sorta thing.

A result of us attempting to ape the American leader-centric politics with leadership contests and conventions decided by insta-members. Unlike other Westminster democracies, our leaders tell their caucus that they are there because the party chose them. On other Westminster democracies, the leader has to placate the caucus or they’re out on their arse.

A result of us attempting to ape the American leader-centric politics with leadership contests and conventions decided by insta-members. Unlike other Westminster democracies, our leaders tell their caucus that they are there because the party chose them. On other Westminster democracies, the leader has to placate the caucus or they’re out on their arse.
Like crazy Uncle Boris???

As the Stomach Churns.

An example of the Liberals attempting to stop the Premier of Saskatchewan, who represents 1.2 million, from testifying at today's OGGO - Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates.

Liberals' frantic points of order FAIL to stop Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe's testimony at OGGO

That prick is my MP. Irek is an apt first name. He's on his first term and is one of those pension puppies. I pray every day we have an election before he gets it. He's been doing a massive suckup to the CAW here. It looks like he might be done anyway. I can hope.430103791_731488255831722_2043770696604378373_n.jpg

I didn't fact check this, nor do I know about the Conservatives. I don't think they'll have much trouble being re-elected. However, even if there is a few mistakes, it still shows why we won't have an election until a week after our scheduled one in 25. That's when the pensions come due, a week after the election. So they said our regular scheduled election interferes with Dilwali, so they are moving it to the week that their pensions are vested. How stupid they think we are. That's how much in contempt this red and orange liberal government holds us in. Yeah, it's all about Dilwali. Sure it is.

As the Stomach Churns.

An example of the Liberals attempting to stop the Premier of Saskatchewan, who represents 1.2 million, from testifying at today's OGGO - Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates.

Liberals' frantic points of order FAIL to stop Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe's testimony at OGGO

Ah yes, the utterly infuriating 'Point of Order' tactic we've become all too familiar with...

Like a child who keeps interrupting when their parent and their teacher sit down during parent-teacher interviews, when they're afraid of what the teachers are going to say...

(As someone who was sent to the Principal's Office EVERY SINGLE DAY of Grade 4, I speak from experience...)

It's their 2nd final arrow in the quiver. When all else fails, they'll call for a vote to adjourn the meeting altogether - and shockingly, every Liberal MP and NDP MP will vote to put the matter over until a later day.

"We can't interrupt this enough with never ending Points of Order? Fine then, we just won't have a meeting at all then!" 😤

Giving the chairperson of these meetings the power to push ahead with a meeting would be a huge benefit to the country.

Like if there is one thing we could do quickly & easily as a country that would have a significantly out of proportion benefit that would cost literally nothing, this is it.

A system that allows a guilty party the power to adjourne meetings & constantly interrupt key witnesses from testifying is kind of a joke...if that witness is allowed to testify at all.

(Ahem, RCMP Commissioner prevented from testifying about Trudeau's involvement in something a few months ago because the LPC members onestly lost track of what bullshit it was)

Maybe we need a controlled burn.

The Purge Movie GIF by The Forever Purge

That prick is my MP. Irek is an apt first name. He's on his first term and is one of those pension puppies. I pray every day we have an election before he gets it. He's been doing a massive suckup to the CAW here. It looks like he might be done anyway. I can hope.View attachment 84086

I didn't fact check this, nor do I know about the Conservatives. I don't think they'll have much trouble being re-elected. However, even if there is a few mistakes, it still shows why we won't have an election until a week after our scheduled one in 25. That's when the pensions come due, a week after the election. So they said our regular scheduled election interferes with Dilwali, so they are moving it to the week that their pensions are vested. How stupid they think we are. That's how much in contempt this red and orange liberal government holds us in. Yeah, it's all about Dilwali. Sure it is.
Yup, I checked that one (the dates, not the names) and it checks out. Bumping the election a week will make everyone elected in 2019 vested in the pension. They accrue for pension at 3% per annum, and those elected in 2019 can start drawing when they’re 65. At their salary, that’s a cool $35k a year for six years of service (though coordinated with CPP).

I don’t buy the Diwali excuse either. The fact that the election period is extended to three days, IMO, more than accounts for that. This is blatantly slimy, though legal.

Yup, I checked that one (the dates, not the names) and it checks out. Bumping the election a week will make everyone elected in 2019 vested in the pension. They accrue for pension at 3% per annum, and those elected in 2019 can start drawing when they’re 65. At their salary, that’s a cool $35k a year for six years of service (though coordinated with CPP).

I don’t buy the Diwali excuse either. The fact that the election period is extended to three days, IMO, more than accounts for that. This is blatantly slimy, though legal.
They could have easily had the election before Dilawi too…

All of this points to a full term for the LPC/NDP.

They could have easily had the election before Dilawi too…

All of this points to a full term for the LPC/NDP.

I think that's pretty much a given barring some catastrophe within the alliance of the Libs and NDP.

It also gives the Cons time to self implode. Which they have a track record of doing.

I think that's pretty much a given barring some catastrophe within the alliance of the Libs and NDP.

It also gives the Cons time to self implode. Which they have a track record of doing.
LPC/NDP will be desperately hoping to hold CPC to a minority so as to make them unlikely to be able to rescind any of the flagship policies that have passed or are pending. I think that’s their realistic best case. The conservatives do show skill at shooting themselves in the foot, but I just can’t see them blowing this lead to full defeat absent something truly off the wall.

LPC/NDP will be desperately hoping to hold CPC to a minority so as to make them unlikely to be able to rescind any of the flagship policies that have passed or are pending. I think that’s their realistic best case. The conservatives do show skill at shooting themselves in the foot, but I just can’t see them blowing this lead to full defeat absent something truly off the wall.

Agree, at this moment in time, the best the Lib/NDP can hope for is a weak Con minority. But even that provides trouble to Libs/NDP. Canadians don't like going to the polls to quickly, and tend to punish parties that force that. See Harpers first majority, if I remember correctly.

Having said that I don't count the Cons as safe, ever. They have mouth breathers in their ranks that just cant help but make the party look like idiots at times. And Canadians will stomach a left leaning idiot, but not a right leaning one.

Back to the point of the thread, do we think the a PP lead CPC government will quell this bubbling and seething anger that seems to be now present in Canadian society ?

Back to the point of the thread, do we think the a PP lead CPC government will quell this bubbling and seething anger that seems to be now present in Canadian society ?

No. PP/CPC are still mainstream, and the threats to national security and, to some extent, social cohesion, are already disenchanted to the outside of that. Within the mainstream issues, PP/CPC can’t fix core things like housing affordability.

How well can an MP represent the constituency inside the Party when confronting the Party machine behind closed doors. At least as an independent the member gets to assert their individual parliamentary privileges in public.
In theory, true. In practice, how many initiatives have independent MP's proposed that made it through legislation, Royal Assent & implementation?

I wrestle with this myself. I like to vote for the person who can best articulate & share the reality of my backyard with people in power. Problem is when the best person to explain our situations is not on the winning team, well, reduces the odds of getting much done.

I wrestle with this myself. I like to vote for the person who can best articulate & share the reality of my backyard with people in power. Problem is when the best person to explain our situations is not on the winning team, well, reduces the odds of getting much done.

This is the crux isnt it ? The system is designed with the intent that we vote for our choice locally and this produces a national government. But it has been turned upside down.

In theory, true. In practice, how many initiatives have independent MP's proposed that made it through legislation, Royal Assent & implementation?

That is true. My problem is wrt "getting much done". As I age I have become less of fan of a man with a plan. I see advantages to gridlock and there the individual parliamentarian can excel. "Point of Order, Madam Chair!".

Or they are on the winning side and are told to vote with the team or lose any privileges they may have.

Back