• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training (in english)

Catburglar

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello there, i'm about to start my BOTP at St-Jean next week (MARS officer  :salute: ) and i have a question not yet answered (my recruiting center have no clue about that). Is the second language training for navy officer is in Esquimalt (if so is it at Venture ?) or is it in St-Jean like all other trades ?

Catburglar

Edit : while i'm here, any of you have a good description about the IMD d-level. We have fery few information about that d-level specialization at the NOAB. (i know, i know i faaaaaar from being in urge to choose a d-level, it woulb be nice to gather some info  ;) )

It depends.  You might be posted out here (Esquimalt) if there's a large enough class, or you might stay in St. Jean, I know MARS officers learing both french and english at both locations.

And, before you specialize, get MARS training done.  We have one of the highest failure rates, so get past your training before you start to specialize.  :)  Bonne chance!

T

Second language training is provided at Dockyard at the old Venture building. Basically you go through the main gate to Dockyard and then it is the third left (just past the Fire Hall).

I am MARS and finished my IAP/BOTP in July and was sent out to Esquimalt the very next day....of course Im on  PAT for 6 months but hey at least I am on the west coast

As a MARS officer, I did my French SLT right after BOTC last year. It was down at the dockyard in the old venture building. The engineers in my basic serial were supposed to go to Halifax for their SLT, but due to exigencies of the service they stayed in St. Jean. SLT was an enjoyable time overall, but like most things in life it is what you make of it. I know some people who had a rough time of it, but with the right attitude you come out having enjoyed your time and managed to pick up a surprising amount of French in the process. I ended up with a CBA profile which I was fairly pleased with except I need to work on the oral portion.

As for D-level, I am 4 months from the fleet and I haven't really thought too much about it. I know what they are now, but it is still a long way off. I just want to finish MARS IV and get to the fleet.

Back