• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

II PPCLI said:
look dude i can take criticism like a champ, I'm married and i have been in the infantry going on 11 years. but what gets me is how can you say anything to criticize me when you don't even know me or my physical and mental abilities. you don't have a clue, all you do is jump around this web site throwing your two cents around.

Yes, I can tell by your personal message sent earlier. 11 years in the infantry and you don't know what it takes to become a SAR TECH? I was not criticizing you personally, but you post a resume on this website expecting it to be some miraculous remedy to help you through selection, and I simply told you that 10 k a day is not going to cut it. Battalion daily runs are 10 k, its an expectation. But come out for selection, eat your apples, read your books, and at the end of the day, you can say you tried.

Good2Golf said:
Well, he does know all about the tac hel guys up in Bagotville and how the SAR Tech selection is so much like JTF 2 and CSOR selection...  ;)

Actually, I do and I did not give specifics, I simply made a statement about pt standard and how civi courses don't qualify you anymore then the guy who just graduated battle school
Journeyman said:
Legend is also.....well.... a legend in his own mind when it comes to MP education and RMC selection too.  :nod:

There was a time in my career where I went through the ROTP and MP Officer was one of my preferences. I provided the Intel they needed. I do on the other hand have an issue with Ocdt's ranting about their summer and using terminology like in subordinate's as if they were superior to a private. In reality that might be the case, but that private might have three tours under their belt and while they are being spoon fed the basics, they have gone out an executed their duty.

Don't lecture me on what you think you know.

Legend said:
...Actually, I do and I did not give specifics, I simply made a statement about pt standard and how civi courses don't qualify you anymore then the guy who just graduated battle school...

Apparently you do not. 

While SAR Techs, Assaulters and Operators must all meet demanding physical standards, this in no way means that selection is the same, or even similar between SAR Techs and CANSOF.

You were the one who drew fire upon yourself for deliberately trying to belittle the efforts that a member here had noted he was making in order to better qualify him for SAR Tech selection process.

Legend said:
Anyone half decent in the combat arms can run 10 Km. You can get your open water and advanced in 2 days via civi side. I was not aware 2 PPCLI had a para unit?

Comments meant to diminish the value of what he had achieved, and for what purpose?  So that you could build yourself up to be the definitive authority on SAR Tech selection and preparation by recommending that he.....put 20lbs in a ruck and run 20km?  Seriously?  That will really prepare him better than working on his existing fitness and scuba and para ops familiarization?  ???

Then it gets better when you discount the advice of an ex-SAR Tech trying to help a prospective new applicant.  :facepalm:

Seriously, before you get any further out of your lane, do a mirror check and see if you honestly think you should be taking the 'definitive authority'...
Legend said:
Best advice
tone here that you have been so far...you're only impressing yourself.

Food for thought.

Regards
G2G

:salute:

Belittle? this is Army.ca right? Is the army in the business of holding hands and changing diapers now?

Bet the messes in KAF are nice eh? You guys kill me.

Perhaps, I should simplify my statement so individuals can read the whole thing and not take 3 words and spiel for an hour

"If 10 km is your bench mark, stay home"

webmaster superiority. Glad to see the future has the best looking after them for their initial introduction into the CF. Then when they hit basic and ask why no one is defending me from the instructors, maybe you can be there to mentor them.

cheers

So belittling is okay for you only, then?

Hmmm...that's strange - you seemed to have a problem when other people belittle others...

Legend said:
This is an ROTP 2011-2012 thread. This is not "lets have a debate on what distinguishes a NCM/NCO from an Officer." If any of you were past your Ocdt stage you would understand that NCM's do more then follow in your foot steps. Regardless whether you are a Junior or Senior Officer, NCM's execute your gameplan. Experienced and highly respected Officers listen to what their team has to say in every aspect of the battlefield and job. You maintain communications with higher, outline battle strategy, and the NCM's, which you seem to belittle, do your dirty work...

Related to the topic -- out of interest, have you ever been a SAR Tech, or worked closely with them?  ???

Legend said:
This is my last post on this forum. This is not a matter of ideology. This is a matter of conduct within the CF and how it reflects its members.

You promised this two months ago.....

Wow, fun, have to get back here more often, have been sliding lately. Glad to see Legend has filled in during my absence. If you are really doing what you say you are, then you will do fine once you get on course. The hard part is getting on course. As I've said before the best selection tool is the remuster process. You have to be unwaveringly determined to see your application through, and come up with creative ways to circumvent administrative bottlenecks. I used Tim horton's donuts and coffees, spread liberally to every admin assistant who had to pass my file to decision makers. You cannot just wait and expect other people to care about your aims anywhere nearly as much as you do, and a couple may actually not want you to transfer, because if you are good enough for us, then you are a shining star to them. Good luck and don't listen to guys who haven't been there, or at least somewhere near there. PM me if you have specific questions, after you have gone thru all 16 pages of this thread, most have already been answered.

Good luck

thats shitty cause we all know whats going to happen next the trade is going to be closed to everyone.

II PPCLI said:
thats shitty cause we all know whats going to happen next the trade is going to be closed to everyone.

Tell us how you know this.

cause thats just what happens look at the infantry for example i know a few dudes in the camrons and the rifles that cant join us in shilo cause the we are over bourn even though we are really hurting for people.

They won't close the trade completely - standard upwards movement and attrition will always have a class.  But this trade only takes in 12 members per year - a very competitive pool indeed.

II PPCLI said:
cause thats just what happens look at the infantry for example i know a few dudes in the camrons and the rifles that cant join us in shilo cause the we are over bourn even though we are really hurting for people.

Try to think longer term. Infantry is the flavor of the month. Infantry won't be overborne for long.

Jim Seggie said:
Try to think longer term. Infantry is the flavor of the month. Infantry won't be overborne for long.

:nod:

[slight tangent to thread]

It only seems underborne at some units because of the taskings that have developed over time during the higher manning.  From last I heard recently, the branch is ~1300 overborne, about ~1100-1200 Infmn and ~100 Inf O...while it worked during the last 5-6 years, it will likely be allowed to self-adjust through regular attrition and management of intake.

[/slight tangent to thread]

Regards
G2G

Just back from the school, Direct Entry and Component Transfer suspended. Will have to join up to get in for now... more to follow, big (huge?) changes on horizon....

kj_gully said:
changes on horizon....
ST's are getting trained on refueling and de-snagging techniques - saves a position on the new FWSAR - eliminates the FE.

So I just spoke with a local recruiter here in NS and she informed me that in the 2 1/2 years she's been recruiting she has yet to see any openings in the SAR Tech trade and they have not put through any applications. I thought that there was annual selection?

With de and component transfer being suspended I guess the only way in is to join CF in another trade and hope in 4 years time that component transfer is back? Any other ways? Not that I am against joining another trade initially, I only worry that age may be an issue as I am already 25. I'm assuming it would take a year or more to get into a trade, then 4 years and I'll be at least 30 before available to transfer. How much of an issue would that be?

You guys are saying Component transfer, but do you actually mean Occupational Transfer?

CT = reg to res or res to reg.
OT = changing trades.

Just toss in my 2 cents, guy I am working with has just passed the fitness tests and is set to start the courses in the next coming months, so i'm not sure that OT is closed/suspended.

Unless Gully comes on and out rightly denies what I am about to say - I think you can safely assume that the ST trade is still open for OT.  They only bring on about a small amount per year (one class only), closing OT would eliminate the fresh meat for the Squadrons.

Back