• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russell Williams charged in 2 x murders, confinement, sexual assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Military in 'shock' over colonel's arrest: Natynczyk
Last Updated: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 | 5:07 PM ET
CBC News

The Canadian military is in a "state of shock" after the head of CFB Trenton was charged with murder and two violent home invasions, Canada's chief of defence staff says.

Gen. Walter Natynczyk spoke to the media Wednesday afternoon after he and Lt.-Gen André Deschamps, chief of air staff for the Canadian Forces, addressed the troops at CFB Trenton in eastern Ontario, where Col. Russell Williams was base commander.

Williams, 46, of Tweed, Ont., was arrested Sunday in Ottawa. He has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Jessica Lloyd, 27, and Cpl. Marie-France Comeau, 38.

Williams is also facing charges in two sexual assaults that happened in Tweed in September.

Natynczyk said it felt like a "body blow" when he heard that a senior officer had been charged with murder.

"We've put additional rigour over the past five years into the selection of our leadership.... it's a sacred trust,” he said.

He added that some military personnel based at CFB Trenton are reluctant to go out into the community in their uniforms right now, but he has told them they can be proud to wear them.

"We can't go back, we go forward. And we are proud, proud to wear our uniform," he said.

Natynczyk himself went to a local Tim Hortons on Wednesday in his uniform to make that point.

He said his thoughts went out to the community and the family and friends of Lloyd and Comeau.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay was not available for comment Wednesday, but a spokesman said the minister’s thoughts are with the families of the victims, adding that the Canadian Forces are co-operating fully with the investigation.

ArmyVern said:
As I stated earlier - I've yet to see anyone state or imply that any crime occured BECAUSE he was military or even to associate the crimes "with the military".

You must have missed the comments section on CBC's site before they were closed. Not many, but there was a few who directly blamed the military and it's training for his actions.

That other video link was dead. Here's the video of the CDS' press conference at 8 Wing.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/ID=1410151296

I can't believe what I'm reading out there. 

It's not much, and I'm only one person, but if you're in the CF, know that I'm not alone in  thinking it's not fair painting ANY group for the actions of one or two members.  I know as a group, you're decent, hard working folks, helping keep Canada safe and help others who need help.  Thanks for the hard work and sacrifice, and try not to take counsel from the idiots who don't know any better.  :salute:

Reproduced in accordance with the Fair Dealing provision (29) of the Copyright Act.

Police study links to other unsolved crimes

OPP receive calls from across Canada

Canwest News ServiceFebruary 11, 2010 6:14 AM

The Ontario Provincial Police said Wednesday they have been receiving calls from across Canada since Col. Russell Williams' arrest, and are continuing to investigate other cases for links.

"We have had calls from different (police) services; we've also had calls from families of victims whose crimes have gone unsolved. It is a wide majority of locations," said Sgt. Kristine Rae.

Toronto cold case investigators are investigating whether Williams may be connected to two unsolved killings, according to one of the victims' brothers.

- Erin Gilmour and Susan Tice

In 1983, Erin Gilmour and Susan Tice were sexually assaulted and killed within four months of each another in downtown Toronto. DNA evidence revealed that both women had been killed by the same man.

Gilmour's brother, Sean McCowan, told Global News he called Det.-Sgt. Steve Ryan of the Toronto Police Cold Case Squad on Tuesday.

"(Ryan) just mentioned that the colonel is a person of interest and they're going to take a look at it," McCowan said.

Williams graduated with a degree in economics and political science from the University of Toronto in 1987.

Police in Halifax are also reviewing three cold cases, according to media reports.

Williams was posted to the Shearwater base near Halifax from 1992 to 1994. During that time, police report three unsolved homicides.

- Andrea King, 18

On Jan. 1, 1992, Andrea King, 18, flew to Halifax, N.S., from New Westminister, B.C., to find work. She called her sister from the Halifax airport and said she intended to stay at a hostel. She was to phone her family the next day, but was not heard from again. Despite a year-long missing person investigation being conducted in Halifax and New Westminister, B.C., no trace of King was found and police were unable to positively identify anyone who had contact with her after her arrival in Nova Scotia.

On Dec. 22, 1992, her skeletal remains were found in a wooded area in Lower Sackville, N.S. The cause of death was determined to be a homicide.

- Shelley Denise Connors, 17

Shelley Connors went missing from her Halifax home on May 29, 1993, and was reported missing by her mother the following day. Her body was discovered in a wooded area of Spryfield, N.S., on June 1, 1993, partially covered with leaves and branches. The Nova Scotia government is offering a $150,000 reward in the case.

- Kimber Leanne Lucas, 25

Kimber Leanne Lucas was last seen on Nov. 23, 1994, early on the day of her death. Lucas was known on the Halifax streets as a heavy drug user and was seven months pregnant. Her body was discovered behind a building on North Street near Agricola Street. The Nova Scotia government is offering a $150,000 reward in the case.

Williams was posted to Ottawa and CFB Trenton around the time that Kathleen MacVicar, 19, was slain at Trenton in 2001.

- Kathleen MacVicar, 19

Kathleen MacVicar was seen for the last time leaving on foot from a friend's residence. Two days later, on June 15, 2001, her body was discovered on Canadian Forces Base Trenton. MacVicar had been raped and stabbed.

The OPP clarified Wednesday that Williams has not been ruled out as a suspect in the death of MacVicar, a native of Nova Scotia, despite an assertion from MacVicar's mother that she was told Williams has been ruled out.

On Wednesday, police told Canwest News Service they have not explored whether there is a connection because they have not examined the cold case files.

In 1990, Williams had his first posting at the central flight school in Portage la Prairie, Man., near Winnipeg.

- Glenda Morrisseau, 19

Glenda Morrisseau, a student at R.B. Russell School, was last seen on July 17, 1991, at 2:30 a.m. in Winnipeg hitchhiking. She was reported missing by her sister several days later when she did not return home.

After nearly a month of searching, Morrisseau's partially naked and battered body was discovered on Aug. 7, 1991, in a St. Boniface industrial area, about five kilometres from where she was last seen. The cause of death was not easily determinable, but there was considerable damage to her face including fractured cheekbones, a broken jaw and a fractured eye socket. As such she may have died as a result of massive trauma to the head inflicted by a large blunt object.

It is believed that Morrisseau was killed on or about July 17, 1991, shortly after she was last seen.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen[/color]

To view official Police Reports, please click victims' names.

dileas

tess

Police due diligence, in checking cold cases, is to be expected.

Media reporting of each and every one, regardless of how remote the possibility, will just provide more fuel to those pre-disposed to see this tragedy as the inevitable result of military brainwashing. You know the ruling out of a slaying isn't going to get near the same headline as a possible one. 

The mouth-breathers will see a continuing list of potentially-connected victims, and think "darn Cletus, them there military fellas kill a lot of women."

::)

Journeyman said:
Police due diligence, in checking cold cases, is to be expected.

Media reporting of each and every one, regardless of how remote the possibility, will just provide more fuel to those pre-disposed to see this tragedy as the inevitable result of military brainwashing. You know the ruling out of a slaying isn't going to get near the same headline as a possible one. 

The mouth-breathers will see a continuing list of potentially-connected victims, and think "darn Cletus, them there military fellas kill a lot of women."

::)

So if he is guilty, as "Reported" by his confession, the Military would actually be another of his victims.

Burying our heads in the sand, hoping that this is all a dream, will not stop Cletus making his mind up.  You painting the majority of Canadian citizens as lemmings, falling off the cliff of Media reports, is not fair either.

dileas

tess

This morning's Ottawa Citizen is reporting additional  international attention has to this story is being covered by:

Germany's [ur=http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/2010/02/09/militaer-skandal-kanada/star-offizier-wegen-mordes-angeklagt.htmll]Bild newspaper[/url], and

Australia's Courier Mail newpaper.

This follows on the heels of the UK, France and USA reporting on the story as mentioned in an earlier post.

the 48th regulator said:
Burying our heads in the sand, hoping that this is all a dream, will not stop Cletus making his mind up.  You painting the majority of Canadian citizens as lemmings, falling off the cliff of Media reports, is not fair either.
I guess we travel in different circles.

I suspect a large percentage of people form their opinions based on scanning headlines, hearing radio sound-bytes, and what they hear at Timmies. I do not believe that a majority of people think too deeply, considering second- and third-order effects, about current events -- including this one.

So I'm not saying all Canadians fit the tin-hat stereotype (as seen regularly in comments at CBC-online). I am saying that sensationalist reporting sells media; repeatedly headlining "potential CF serial killer links," while subsequently delegating "nope, no link" to page 28, will have a negative effect on your average Canadian's opinion.

I won't even get into you comparing the CF's "victimhood" with what these women's families are going through -- we both know you know better.

Journeyman said:
Media reporting of each and every one, regardless of how remote the possibility, will just provide more fuel to those pre-disposed to see this tragedy as the inevitable result of military brainwashing.

With any luck, a distinction between a murdering sociopath and a military member will not be that hard to draw.  None of the other serial killers/rapists in Canada has been a career military member. 
And yes, we all know nothing has been proven in court yet.  "Alleged crimes" blah blah blah. 
How soon until his DNA test comes back?  That will either completely clear the colonel or the case will be a slam dunk. 

zipperhead_cop said:
With any luck, a distinction between a murdering sociopath and a military member will not be that hard to draw.  None of the other serial killers/rapists in Canada has been a career military member.

To look at it from the other side as well, None of the other many thousands of CF miltary personnel have turned out to be serial killers yet either.  :nod:

I can pretty much guarantee if he were doctor, lawyer or plumber, his profession would not be an issue.

Big Silverback said:
I can pretty much guarantee if he were doctor, lawyer or plumber, his profession would not be an issue.

I disagree with this. Harold Shipman, a British doctor had his profession mentioned in almost every news story, and how it allowed him access to a steady supply of victims. I'd suggest a criminal lawyers profession would be equally covered in part due to a ready access of criminal knowledge and contacts.  Lastly, I believe a plumber's profession would be mentioned because most of the general public let these kinds of tradespeople inside their homes without a second thought.

F.I.R.S.T. said:
I disagree with this. Harold Shipman, a British doctor had his profession mentioned in almost every news story, and how it allowed him access to a steady supply of victims. I'd suggest a criminal lawyers profession would be equally covered in part due to a ready access of criminal knowledge and contacts.  Lastly, I believe a plumber's profession would be mentioned because most of the general public let these kinds of tradespeople inside their homes without a second thought.

On those points, yes, but some members of the general public see it differently. They automatically associate the military with the murder and its all because we are "brainwashed".

In my opinion, today's CBC.ca's headline is attempting to stir up sensational negative reactions to the military.

Anti-military backlash feared in Trenton
Troops express concerns to Gen. Walter Natynczyk

Last Updated: Thursday, February 11, 2010 | 10:55 AM ET

Murder and sexual assault charges against the former commander of CFB Trenton have sparked worries of an anti-military backlash in the area.

Col. Russell Williams is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of two eastern Ontario women. He is also charged in two sexual assaults on two other women.

Callers to a radio show in Belleville said Wednesday that someone spat on a soldier from CFB Trenton, and another soldier was roughed up.

Some troops raised their concerns with the country's top soldier, Gen. Walter Natynczyk, on Wednesday when he came to the base, going so far as to ask if they should avoid wearing their uniforms in public.

"And I told all those airmen I'm going to Tim Hortons with my uniform. And sure enough, someone from Trenton came up and said I put this into perspective. 'You guys are great,' [they said]. And I just said thanks," said Natynczyk.

More at link

Also, this is one of the few MSM stories that is allowing reader comments.

I don't live in Trenton, but having been there, I don't think the local population is going to go "anti-military".

There are going to be idiots out there though.

I grew up as a child of civilians in the shadow of CFB Trenton.  If nothing else, the people of the Belleville to Brighton area are as shocked as any military member in Astra Ontario.  My friends and family who still live there are absolutely dumbfounded.  Not one iota of anti-military sentiment from any of them.  Instead, understandably, total shock.

Big Silverback said:

That is hogwash.

His Occupation, more so his position, is relevent.

It is the public's fascination with the he Macabre.  We have multiple shows based on Forensics.  Dexter, a series about a serial Killer, has been a crowd favourite.  Bernardo drew just as much, if not more, media hype when the news first broke out.

Does the fact that he served add to the the feeding frenzy?  Of course it does.  Here we have a person, accused of being a predator of humans, who holds a very senior position in the Military.  He is able to travel, without suspicion, and very easily.  Can have a very private, and clandestine lifestyle, due to his position, if he chooses.  And has a way to hide his other self, much easier than the plumber.

Jekyll and Hyde, people have two completely different lives, another fascination for people.

Short of a few "opinion" pieces, I would say that the media, and citizens', love affair with the military image has not taken a major hit.

dileas

tess

I was on base in Kingston on Monday when the news was still breaking and among those in uniform, the shock was palpable. I hadn't seen anything like it.

In the days since, as my job involves dealing with people across the country and many of whom know I cover the military, I have heard a similar outpouring from people with no military connections and who live in places with no military footprint – and mostly women now that I think about it. They brought up the breach of (implied) trust by someone with that level of authority and position, and I think it is absolutely relevant to the case, in the way it would not have been if it were a master corporal, say. You can't even take away the uniform and make comparisons to those not in uniform because there is none.

A base commander wields a lot more authority over those under his command than any civilian counterpart, say my mayor or my MPP has over me, and is about the closest we have in this society to a seigneur. It would be a big story if it were a mayor; it is a bigger story because it is a high-ranking military officer. Any idiot can be elected mayor. There are no psych tests, personnel reports or 20 years of documented background considered. It's shocking because the military does not allow this to happen and would have denied promotion or outright released/charged someone with a history or even a strong suspicion of such conduct. The question will remain, what happened?

That said, I haven't heard anyone extrapolating his conduct to the armed forces as a whole, but the issue is how anyone in this POSITION was able to do what he is accused of. Stressing the last bit, but we're talking optics, not legalities here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back