• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russell Williams charged in 2 x murders, confinement, sexual assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Seggie said:
Here's something I found in the Winnipeg Free Press. It seems Col (ret'd) Drapeau thinks we should all take criminal profiling classes:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/horrendous-week-puts-forces-hiring-under-scrutiny-104555844.html

Here's the most reassuring part:

"The suggestion that any organization could identify a clever psychopath using any type of routine interview or assessments is just not plausible," Okros argued.

Jim Seggie said:
It seems Col (ret'd) Drapeau thinks we should all take criminal profiling classes
But at least the article does point out that Scott Taylor's lapdog Drapeau doesn't have a clue what he's talking about:

"The suggestion that any organization could identify a clever psychopath using any type of routine interview or assessments is just not plausible."

Respectfully, I'll agree he's right on the VAC issue, he's wrong on the criminal profiling issue, and he's wrong on the Capt Semrau issue.

"psychological testing"?................frig, even my slowest inmates dance all around that crap.

Drapeau, please stick to subjects you actually know something a,  "what?".....well yes, I guess this would be considered media whore-mongering,...OK Michel, never mind then.

Occam said:
Is there a difference between prisons?

Yes, there is and its just not the difference between minimum, medium or maximum. Joyceville and Bath institutions are both medium, but both of them are completely different. The same for Kingston Pen and Millhaven.  For example, in Bath the inmates are not locked-up during the day,while in Joyceville they are. The prisons also have different functions. Besides the obvious.  ;D

In an article posted by the Global Mail on Friday, Apr. 09, 2010, it was reported that Colonel Russell Williams was "intending to thwart the justice system by starving himself to death in his Napanee jail cell, prosecutors believe." It was also reported that "there’s a lot that he doesn’t want to come out at trial or through a guilty plea,” a source close to the investigation said. “This would be his way of trying to make sure of that.”

"It has been reported that Williams would bring a camera on a tripod and in some cases, filmed himself raping and possibly even killing his victims."
Colonel Russell Williams article link

"If the hidden history of Russell Williams, which has sent the Canadian military into bewilderment, and the implications involving sexual assault, murder, rape and filming his victims turns out to be true, this is a huge unprecedented total breakdown of military security protocol in the Canadian Air Force."
                  (Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

57Chevy said:
"If the hidden history of Russell Williams, which has sent the Canadian military into bewilderment, and the implications involving sexual assault, murder, rape and filming his victims turns out to be true, this is a huge unprecedented total breakdown of military security protocol in the Canadian Air Force."

Say what??

Here's the whole paragraph:

Camp Mirage is Canada's forward operating base for the movement of Canadian forces and also coordinates the movement of forces and logistics in to Iraq where Canadian and other military personnel from the United States and Britain are being murdered. If the hidden history of Russell Williams, which has sent the Canadian military into bewilderment, and the implications involving sexual assault, murder, rape and filming his victims turns out to be true, this is a huge unprecedented total breakdown of military security protocol in the Canadian Air Force. This reflects a systemic breakdown in security when the fact military personal are being shipped back in body bags and coffins from Iraq and Afghanistan the Canadians taking a huge brunt of the deaths in Afghanistan.

::)

Now, I'm trying to figure out the connection between the case against Williams and Camp Mirage.  Color me stumped.  ???

Grimaldus said:
I think it's great our taxes will go towards paying him to sit in prison for a life sentence.

I'd be comfortable with that as long as the first part of his life sentence was 2 years less a day in CF Detention Barracks Edmonton before he was kicked out and sent to Kingston Pen.

Why?  Why make the CF responsible for one more day than they already have  to the care and feeding of this guy?

Is his rank not reduced to that of Private during the stay? We can finally stop hearing "Top Officer" as he'll only be Pte(Ret'd) Russell Williams.

PuckChaser said:
Is his rank not reduced to that of Private during the stay? We can finally stop hearing "Top Officer" as he'll only be Pte(Ret'd) Russell Williams.

Once the matters at hand are dealt with in their current cvilian jurisdictional court, the CF will act accordingly based upon the outcome of those criminal matters. As far as I am aware, there is no Williams matter before the Military Justice system.

Although, you know and I know that he is no longer (working as) a "Top Officer" - he is entitled to his day in court, is innocent until proven guilty (or pleads guilty & is sentenced) and will wear the rank (if not do the job) until such time. Like it or not, that is part of living in a democracy.

Oh, and even if he were ever reduced in rank to Pte, the headlines would still read "Former Top Officer". And, they wouldn't be lying. Distasteful as it is, such is the way of selling media.

PuckChaser said:
I'd be comfortable with that as long as the first part of his life sentence was 2 years less a day in CF Detention Barracks Edmonton before he was kicked out and sent to Kingston Pen.

As ArmyVern pointed out, there are no military disciplinary actions pending against him; even if there were, officers cannot be sentenced to detention.

George Wallace said:
WRONG.  Officers have served time in Detention Barracks.

Sorry, I was reading from http://www.forces.gc.ca/jag/publications/defence/CSDME-CDMMOI-eng.pdf and didn't read far enough.  What's the difference between imprisonment and detention, as it says that officers cannot be sentenced to detention (but I assume they can be sentenced to imprisonment)?

I think detention usually means less than 14 days in local custody, and must be released as soon as reasonable. I speak more in terms of pre-trial custody, rather than post trial.

milnews.ca said:
I'm guessing this'll come up during the sentencing coverage/discussion/debate.

Hard to say.  Going for the DO status is something you have to set out at the beginning and let the defence know you are seeking.  Those almost always make a splash and make for info-tainment, since once you bring it up you get to throw Bernardo (his college chum) and all the rest. 

I also don't understand why so many of the charges have been binned.  All those residential break in's.  They all carry potential life sentences too.  It feels like they are going light on him, and I don't get why.  I hope I'm wrong. 

And on the Army side, could they strip his Commission?  Or is 2Lt the lowest he'll get knocked down to?

Grimaldus said:
I think it's great our taxes will go towards paying him to sit in prison for a life sentence.
Our taxes are going towards punishing him and keeping the public safe from him.

zipperhead_cop said:
I also don't understand why so many of the charges have been binned.  All those residential break in's.  They all carry potential life sentences too.  It feels like they are going light on him, and I don't get why.  I hope I'm wrong.

Life sentence for B & E?? Its possible that they are only going after the big ones (murder and sexual assault) and are dismissing the minor ones to save time. Also, remember that it doesn't matter how many crimes he is convicted of, they are all served concurrently.

Retired AF Guy said:
Life sentence for B & E??

From The Code:

348. (1) Every one who
(a) breaks and enters a place with intent to commit an indictable offence therein,
(b) breaks and enters a place and commits an indictable offence therein, or
(c) breaks out of a place after
(i) committing an indictable offence therein, or

(ii) entering the place with intent to commit an indictable offence therein,

is guilty
(d) if the offence is committed in relation to a dwelling-house, of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life,

Once upon a time, somebody thought that a home was a sacred place and shouldn't be violated by criminals.  These days?  Not so much...

zipperhead_cop said:
From The Code:

Once upon a time, somebody thought that a home was a sacred place and shouldn't be violated by criminals.  These days?  Not so much...

Learn something new everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back