• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RUMINT of Canada wanting more C-17's

Last C17 orders being completed. For quite awhile the USAF has sought to end the program but it is an aircraft in demand unless a new aircraft is designed. Ukraine builds big transports maybe we could do a deal to replace the C5. 

https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/last-of-the-globemasters-the-usafs-final-orders-05283/

C-390 project seems off the rails.  Prospective orders in play since 2010 and only 4 prototypes made to date.  Not a good option until throughput increased, -390 was in initial bid for FWSAR but never made it to bid.

Spencer100 said:
...the tooling is gone...
Have heard that about a few aircraft production lines; F-22 comes to mind. Is whatever actual kit is in question not amenable to mothballing, or is there some other practical factor at work? Or is it just manufacturers not wanting to hang onto equipment that isn't making them money?

quadrapiper said:
Have heard that about a few aircraft production lines; F-22 comes to mind. Is whatever actual kit is in question not amenable to mothballing, or is there some other practical factor at work? Or is it just manufacturers not wanting to hang onto equipment that isn't making them money?

I believe that it’s all about supply and demand.

Since the major effort in Central Asia ended a few years ago (demand), there’s no need for more big logistics airframes (supply).

daftandbarmy said:

Since the major effort in Central Asia ended a few years ago (demand), there’s no need for more big logistics airframes (supply).
Makes sense as far as the production line closing down; was wondering if there was a technical reason for not stowing unique elements of the production line (molds? frames? jigs?) against future need.

daftandbarmy said:

We are in many way s busier now than then...because we are spread out all over the world.  We need more now than then.

To add to that, any operation we undertake will be strategic in nature, just due to our geography.  I agree with PPCLIGuy, the strategic fleet is more in demand now than it was during Afghanistan, as we are now providing aircraft all over the world instead of focusing our efforts on one region/hub. 

PPCLI Guy said:
We are in many way s busier now than then...because we are spread out all over the world.  We need more now than then.

Given that we cant get more C-17's should we invest in more Hercs?

dapaterson said:
Replace (and expand) the Polaris fleet first (with a larger multipurpose civil aircraft).

FTFY

The C17 and the Herc are necessary for "the end of days scenarios" where runways aren't available. They should be husbanded for those occasions.

For the routine business of flying from Trenton, Winnipeg or Edmonton to Cologne or Dubai, where the skies are open enough that military flights are competing with civil flights for landing spots, then cheaper civil aircraft seem like a better bet. 

Kind of like hiring a civilian ship to supply the Navy.

This is interesting. Apparently there is still interest in procuring more C17s. I wonder what it would take to reopen that line?

Congress also needs to approve the restart, not sure how easy that might be
I would think with Boeings issues with the civi planes on going. Opening up the C17 line would be a good boost to profits and company image.

Canada should buy at least 10 of these.

My thoughts are Canadian Airforce should approach West Jet, Air Canada and who ever is left, work on a pilot training program. Have worker training agreement. That way we get pilots, they get well trained pilots who can go have some fun doing tatical flying once in a while.

Open the line, each current country operating them orders 5 more (minimum). As they are received, the oldest go into refurbishment if still needed or are stored at the US desert plane graveyard. The US hosts the storage and mothballing/preservation of airframes billing the countries that cannot fly all at once. This gives NATO a surge capacity in airlift.

Does Kuwait really use the two frames they have, or are they just flying Garages for the Royal Family's exoctic Car collection?
We just bought 5 Civilian Airframes from them so......

Congress funded the program to X# airframes to begin with, as Boeing didn’t want to front the cost of tooling a plant that was for a limited number of aircraft. Now it’s all coming back to bite them.

Back