• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Canadian Air Force headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general

Humphrey Bogart said:
The Central African Republic is a tinder pot too.  The media has played up the fact that it's relatively benign atm but that can change in a heart beat. 

The South African Army fought pitched battles in 2013 against Seleka rebels in who wanted them out of the country, losing 13 soldiers and 27 wounded in the process.

It was so bad at one point the South African Parachute Battalion in CAR was almost overrun.  The South African Government had Gripens and Air Force jets on standby to conduct a fighting withdrawal out of the country; however, an agreement was reached before it was required.

Luckily, there's a good movie about operating in Africa that we could learn a lot from... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kchkfqXxa0k

Ahh yeas, one of my all time favorites...if you liked that, then The Siege at Jadotville is a good watch.  Almost as much back stabbing as The Wild Geese ;D

I can't be the only one worried about sending our soldiers into such a messed up place with bright blue targets on their heads

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

JacobPayne17 said:
I can't be the only one worried about sending our soldiers into such a messed up place with bright blue targets on their heads

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

We all should be worried.

It seems too much "Situate the estimate"...
By that I mean the whole "Canada Back and we are going to do UN peaceKeeping!"
"Where?"
"NO idea, but we are back, lets find a suitable UN mission off the shelf and go!"

daftandbarmy said:
'Greatest impact with the lowest level of risk'.

Now there's a bold mission statement for you .... meh :)

Doable, 300 B52s dropping blankets and MREs from 20,000 on every population centre once a day.  ohhh.... and winter coats!!!!

Lightguns said:
Doable, 300 B52s dropping blankets and MREs from 20,000 on every population centre once a day.  ohhh.... and winter coats!!!!

Have a care!  You wouldn't want to suffocate the darlings.

Chris Pook said:
Have a care!  You wouldn't want to suffocate the darlings.

If you air drop large quantities out the back of a Herc on pallets you may be able to 'kill two birds with one MSP', as the loadies used to say:)

China to take big role at UN HQ running peacekeeping ops (major presence in Mali, South Sudan)? What does Canadian gov’t think?

Peacekeeping with Chinese Characteristics?
https://theglobalobservatory.org/2016/10/china-peacekeeping-dpko-south-sudan-mali/

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
China to take big role at UN HQ running peacekeeping ops (major presence in Mali, South Sudan)? What does Canadian gov’t think?

Mark
Ottawa

Finally, we'll get to sing a cheerful Peacekeeping song during brigade level calisthenics together every morning :)

daftandbarmy said:
If you air drop large quantities out the back of a Herc on pallets you may be able to 'kill two birds with one MSP', as the loadies used to say:)
In his science fiction series Peace Company, Roland J Green postulates peace keeping with Starships. 
The troops even have a phrase for it ,DFF or Death by Flying Fruit .                           
The Ship not only provides transport but fire and logistic support  resupply being provide by either landing craft or  dropping supplies from the high orbitals . 
Picture a I tonne resupply container  dropped from 300 plus klicks with near pinpoint accuracy and then having the  braking rockets and parachutes fail .

MarkOttawa said:

Mark
Ottawa

Given the current Prime Minister's openly expressed preference for the type of government China has, I'm sure he'll be just fine with this. And I'm sure anyone deployed with the Chinese on this sort of mision will discover they have dozens of new "friends" in the Chinese force willing to be with you 24/7, and extremely interested in everything you do, where you surf on the 'net and all your issued and non issued kit.....

Thucydides: "You might very well say that, I couldn't possibly comment".

Ontario:
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/?s=china++ontario

Plus media in Canada:
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/2016/06/21/mark-collins-the-dragon-vs-the-press-covert-canada-overt-hong-kong/

Mark
Ottawa

Thucydides said:
Given the current Prime Minister's openly expressed preference for the type of government China has,

If only that were what he'd actually said, right?

JMT, you are correct. Here is the exact quote from 2013:

The Liberal leader was asked which nation he admired most. He responded: "There's a level of admiration I actually have for China. Their basic dictatorship is actually allowing them to turn their economy around on a dime."

Admiration is so much better than preference.

Yes, that is sarcasm.

SeaKingTacco said:
JMT, you are correct. Here is the exact quote from 2013:

The Liberal leader was asked which nation he admired most. He responded: "There's a level of admiration I actually have for China. Their basic dictatorship is actually allowing them to turn their economy around on a dime."

Admiration is so much better than preference.

Yes, that is sarcasm.
And here's where that quote came from:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/justin-trudeau-s-foolish-china-remarks-spark-anger-1.2421351

It was a poorly placed remark, to be sure (though he's not wrong - they can certainly get things done).

jmt18325 said:
It was a poorly placed remark, to be sure (though he's not wrong - they can certainly get things done).

Yup, they can harvest more human organs per year than the rest of the world combined and at the lowest cost........ Communist Dictatorships keeping expenses down since 1917!

Jmt, you just can't admit that Trudeau jr. can be stupid at times, can you?

Well, here is an example of the results you get with a Chinese type of dictatorship running an economy by "turning on a dime" and, to quote you, "get things done".

https://www.laowaicareer.com/blog/empty-chinese-cities/

Back