• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Canadian Air Force headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general

What's the minimum Trudeau can get away with for UN peacekeeping?  Bets? Location(s)?

Military planners back at drawing board as peacekeeping summit looms

Officials at National Defence have dusted off their briefing books and are back looking at where they could send Canadian peacekeepers as the clock ticks down to a major UN summit on the subject next month in Vancouver.

The flurry of activity ends months of idling as military planners waited for some signs of interest from the Trudeau government, which first promised up to 600 troops and 150 police for peacekeeping last year.

National Defence conducted a number of fact-finding missions and drew up options on possible missions following that commitment in August 2016, but the Liberals refused to pull the trigger.

Instead, the whole idea was put on the back burner for months amid concerns about the potential risks of modern peacekeeping missions, and as the government turned to dealing with the Trump administration.

In the meantime, National Defence's proposals collected dust as they sat largely untouched with the Prime Minister's Office and Global Affairs Canada.

Sources tell The Canadian Press that defence officials are now back at it and that the Liberals hope to make a decision before the Nov. 14-15 peacekeeping summit in Vancouver, though it's not certain they will.

The government has previously said it will not be rushed into a mission, but the UN expected last year when it agreed to let Canada host the meeting that Canadian troops would already be on the ground.

The summit, to be hosted by Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan, is only supposed to be open to officials from countries that have made concrete pledges to peacekeeping missions.

Defence officials are still looking at possible roles for Canada in Africa, but have also reportedly expanded their search to include the new mission in Haiti, where Canadian peacekeepers previously served.

The UN has prepared a list of requirements in advance of the Vancouver summit, which includes three missions with "critical" shortages of specialized troops and equipment: Mali, South Sudan and Haiti.

The UN is specifically looking for an intelligence unit, bomb-disposal company and transport helicopters for Mali; a special forces unit and transport company for South Sudan; and helicopters for Haiti
[emphasis added].

But it also needs more medical personnel, engineers, female peacekeepers, francophone troops and police officers across the board -- all of which Canada has in supply...

A UN official expressed frustration Friday at the government's apparent foot-dragging, noting that the needs of the world's hotspots have not changed significantly since the Liberals first promised to do more peacekeeping.

"Mali is still Mali, and South Sudan is still South Sudan," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to diplomatic sensitivities. "You have all the information. There isn't much left for discussion."..

French Ambassador Kareen Rispal, whose country has a large counter-insurgency mission in Mali, came out in French-language media this week saying she hopes Canada will still support the UN there.

That may still be the case, but sources warn Canada's footprint is likely to be smaller than anticipated wherever the government ultimately decides to go [emphasis added]...
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/military-planners-back-at-drawing-board-as-peacekeeping-summit-looms-1.3633127

Quelle flipping surprise.

As for Haiti, note UN military mission ending, being replaced by mainly police one (RCMP? With RCAF choppers?):

UN ending 13-year military peacekeeping mission in Haiti

A U.N. peacekeeping mission in Haiti that has helped maintain order through 13 years of political turmoil and catastrophe is coming to an end as the last of the blue-helmeted soldiers from around the world leave despite concerns that the police and justice system are still not adequate to ensure security in the country.

The U.N. lowered its flag at its headquarters in Port-au-Prince during a ceremony Thursday that was attended by President Jovenel Moise, who thanked the organization for helping to provide stability. After a gradual winding down, there are now about 100 international soldiers in the country and they will leave within days. The mission will officially end on Oct. 15.

Immediately afterward, the U.N. will start a new mission made up of about 1,300 international civilian police officers, along with 350 civilians who will help the country reform a deeply troubled justice system. Various agencies and programs of the international body, such as the Food and Agricultural Organization, will also still be working in the country...
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/ending-13-year-military-peacekeeping-mission-haiti-50302816

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
What's the minimum Trudeau can get away with for UN peacekeeping?  Bets? Location(s)?

Basic training for African soldiers all the way up to training their HQs how to operate.

I think our leadership has, thank f**k, convinced the PM that his big commitment of "peacekeepers" to Africa was a mistake and they are all just trying to figure out the most gentle way out of it.

On a completely different note, I find the contrast between my political beliefs and my profession quite amazing. Politically I am vehemently opposed to a lot of this foreign policy, professionally I was praying for it. I guess I'll keep my wits about me and stick with being grateful that this is not going to transpire.

I have no desire to embarrass the Liberals into sending our people into harms way for nada, so I won't be pushing them. I will point out their idea was always fairyland stuff and a indication of how out of touch they were and then advise them not to commit to anything half-assed.

We could always try a blue helmet mission between Iraq and Kurds so as to keep their combat efforts focused on our mutual enemy ... of course, even the force in blue headdress will need liberal ROEs for when that mutual enemy does pop his head up.
:geek:

ballz said:
Politically I am vehemently opposed to a lot of this foreign policy, professionally I was praying for it.

It tends to be that way until you bury a friend or a subordinate....

MCG said:
We could always try a blue helmet mission between Iraq and Kurds so as to keep their combat efforts focused on our mutual enemy ... of course, even the force in blue headdress will need liberal ROEs for when that mutual enemy does pop his head up.
:geek:

Well, the first step to triggering such a blue beret mission seems to be UN membership for the newly independent nation; Croatia and Bosnia both became UN members in 1992, coinciding with stand-up of UNPROFOR. And since new members need the approval of the security council, such membership could be vetoed by any of the permanent 5. So watch for both US and Russian recognition of Kurdistan -- I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Some alternative propositions:

Catalonia
Basque Country
Vlaams/Wallonia
Armagh
Hadrian's Wall
Offa's Dyke
Bavaria

Juncker says Catalan split would lead to splintering EU
Reuters Staff

LUXEMBOURG (Reuters) - European Commission President Jean Claude Juncker said on Friday he did not want Catalonia to become independent, because that would encourage other regions to do the same, making the European Union ungovernable.

“If we allow Catalonia -- and it is not our business -- to separate, others will do the same. I do not want that,” Jean Claude Juncker said in a speech at Luxembourg University.

“I wouldn’t like a European Union in 15 years that consists of some 98 states,” he continued. “It’s already relatively difficult with 28 and with 27 not easier, but with 98 it would simply be impossible.”

The EU’s statistics agency Eurostat lists the bloc as consisting of 98 major regions...

The Kurdistan vote mirrors that of the Catalans.  The reaction of the Iraqis mirrors that of Spain.

12,000 years of failed empires and the "centralists" still don't get it.

The "liberal democracies"  (ca 1945 - definitions variable) may have defeated Hitler and the Nazis, and caused the demise of Mussolini... but they did nothing to affect the supporters of Mussolini, Franco, Salazar, Petain, Tojo, the Habsburgs and the institutions that supported them.

Indeed, part of the problem associated with defining "liberalism" and "democracy" is the result of a concerted effort on the part of those that despised both concepts, on realizing that their only route to power was to declare themselves liberal democrats, was to redefine the terms to suit their needs.

Democracy was not about "the masses", who could be ignored, but about "the real people", who shared the right values and followed qualified leaders.

Liberalism was not about "toleration" and "latitudinarianism", which permitted individual belief, but about "truth", "justice" and conforming to the "right" beliefs.

Your conscience is not your own but the community's.  And there is always somebody available to tell you the "right" thing to do.

(Sorry for the cross-country ramble - but the opening was too good)

:cheers:

Chris Pook said:
Some alternative propositions:

Catalonia
Basque Country
Vlaams/Wallonia
Armagh
Hadrian's Wall
Offa's Dyke
Bavaria

The Kurdistan vote mirrors that of the Catalans.  The reaction of the Iraqis mirrors that of Spain.

12,000 years of failed empires and the "centralists" still don't get it.

The "liberal democracies"  (ca 1945 - definitions variable) may have defeated Hitler and the Nazis, and caused the demise of Mussolini... but they did nothing to affect the supporters of Mussolini, Franco, Salazar, Petain, Tojo, the Habsburgs and the institutions that supported them.

Indeed, part of the problem associated with defining "liberalism" and "democracy" is the result of a concerted effort on the part of those that despised both concepts, on realizing that their only route to power was to declare themselves liberal democrats, was to redefine the terms to suit their needs.

Democracy was not about "the masses", who could be ignored, but about "the real people", who shared the right values and followed qualified leaders.

Liberalism was not about "toleration" and "latitudinarianism", which permitted individual belief, but about "truth", "justice" and conforming to the "right" beliefs.

Your conscience is not your own but the community's.  And there is always somebody available to tell you the "right" thing to do.

(Sorry for the cross-country ramble - but the opening was too good)

:cheers:

Here's a hint: if you have to include the word 'United' or 'Union' in the name of your country/ transnational organization, you're probably not. :)

A similar rule to including the word "Democratic" in the name of your country or organization?

daftandbarmy said:
Here's a hint: if you have to include the word 'United' or 'Union' in the name of your country/ transnational organization, you're probably not. :)

That's a good discussion sparking comment;  how about our southerly neighbors?  :D

Colin P said:
I always refer to them as 51 countries traveling in the same general direction.

And the single, geo-physical, reason they are going in the same direction? Plate tectonics....  ;)

daftandbarmy said:
And the single, geo-physical, reason they are going in the same direction? Plate tectonics....  ;)

...except Hawaii...

Niger is probably the latest wake up call for the Liberal brain trust. If anyone is going to go in there to do anything positive you would need to be ready, willing and able to bring out the big stick right away. Of course sending a mechanized battlegroup with air support isn't the message the Liberals want to send....

An official tweet on a capability that might be welcome in Mali by MINUSMA:
https://twitter.com/CFOperations/status/922557801507049472

CAF Operations‏Verified account @CFOperations

Door gunners with the #OpIMPACT Tactical Aviation Detachment keep watch from a Griffon helicopter

DM2VNtQW4AEHNHu.jpg

DM2VNs1W0AE75J6.jpg

4:18 PM - 23 Oct 2017

July 2016:

Canadian UN Peacekeeping in Mali? RCAF Helicopters?
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/mark-collins-canadian-un-peacekeeping-in-mali-rcaf-helicopters/

Pity they might actually end up killing people, eh Justin?

Mark
Ottawa

Thucydides said:
Niger is probably the latest wake up call for the Liberal brain trust. If anyone is going to go in there to do anything positive you would need to be ready, willing and able to bring out the big stick right away. Of course sending a mechanized battlegroup with air support isn't the message the Liberals want to send....

But then there's that pesky "African problems should be solved by Africans" issue...

ModlrMike said:
But then there's that pesky "African problems should be solved by Africans" issue...

Are we still discussing this? Can no one in government make a decision?

Back