• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP Situation This Year

P

PreppyPepsi

Hello.

I‘m currently in University and I‘m considering applying to ROTP for next year. Are they opening up more spots this year due to the influx of high school graduates in Ontario this year (i.e Double Cohort)?

As well, since I‘m an arts student (International affairs major); would that be a disadvantage since I hear ROTP requirements are heavy on the maths and sciences.

By the way, I‘m currently in the reserves as an NCM and does that in any way affect my chances at ROTP?

Thanks in Advance!

Hello,

I‘m an ROTP Officer Cadet right now. I don‘t think that more spots are opening up due to the double cohort (it‘s a federal program) but ROTP has really expanded in the last few years, especially on the civilian university side. This summer it seemed like there were almost as many civilian university candidates as RMC candidates.

Being an arts student is fine; it limits the occupations (obviously :) ). If RMC is your choice, it can be a limiting factor; it doesn‘t really matter for civilian university ROTP. Since your allready in university, it‘s likely that they would select you to stay there; even if you chose RMC. That‘s a completely uniformed opinion based on others I‘ve heard from.

As long as you‘ve done well in the Reserves, it should be an asset. On my IAP (first phase of BOTC) this summer, a good portion of the candidates were former Reserve NCMs, and the experience really helped them over people straight off civvie street.

It‘s a great program, ROTP, on both sides of the coin (civvie/RMC). Good luck w/ your decision, it‘s always good to apply soon (depending on your recruiting centre, you could have a lot of fun with paperwork, and there are deadlines).

Back