• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP Prerequisites

Nietz

Inactive
Reaction score
  Currently I'm 16 years old(will be 17 within 2 weeks) and have recently done my CFAT, according to my after test interview I qualified for all positions within the Canadian forces etc. and scored well within the commissioned ranks. I have my interview and medical at the end of the month and plan on discussing the ROTP with my interviewer but I was just wondering what exactly weighs on my eligibility. Currently I'm taking the following classes:

Adv. English 11
Adv. French 11
Adv. Math 12
Adv. Physics 11

Last term I had:

Adv. Chem 11
Adv. Bio 11
Gym
Adv. Math 11

All together they tally up to give me an average of about 85, nothing special I know but I need to start applying myself. I plan on taking similar classes next year including pre-calc and calculus as I am planning on going into medicine in the future. Actually that's the first reason I applied to the reserves as I think that the med-tech position(what I'm going for) will give me some experience in the field as well as look wonderful on med-school applications. The thing is that I've recently become interested in practicing military medicine and if I'm going to do that I might as well take the ROTP if possible.

So what goes towards ROTP consideration? Things like community involvement, sports clubs, academics, life interests, etc.?

I will not pretend to be the best person to answer this question, but I was recently accepted into ROTP this year so I can tell you what I used to build a strong case for myself.  From what I learned, they look highly on:
Academics
Athletics
Bilingualism (So the fact that you are taking french helps)
Clubs
Community Involvement (ex: Volunteer Work)
Employment History
Hobbies and Instruments
They are basically trying to find the most well rounded individuals that they can find.  It's good that you figured this out so far in advance, so my advice to you would be to make sure you keep a balanced life.  Yes, grades are important, but do not give up on teams and clubs to spend more time studying.  Also, make sure to apply early! I've seen a lot of good candidates not get accepted because they just missed the deadline.

As well to what Trimm stated above, being involved with cadets or scouts will help you a lot as well. Basically anything where you help a position of power or where you demonstrate your leadership skills will all help make your file more competitive.

Not EXACTLY sure of this, but being a minority (ie Asian, African, Aboriginal) can slightly help with your chances.

Cheers,
Jason

Trimm said:
I will not pretend to be the best person to answer this question, but I was recently accepted into ROTP this year so I can tell you what I used to build a strong case for myself.  From what I learned, they look highly on:
Academics
Athletics
Bilingualism (So the fact that you are taking french helps)
Clubs
Community Involvement (ex: Volunteer Work)
Employment History
Hobbies and Instruments
They are basically trying to find the most well rounded individuals that they can find.  It's good that you figured this out so far in advance, so my advice to you would be to make sure you keep a balanced life.  Yes, grades are important, but do not give up on teams and clubs to spend more time studying.  Also, make sure to apply early! I've seen a lot of good candidates not get accepted because they just missed the deadline.

Trimm, RMC (Kingston)? and what profession/degree you get into? Hopefully I'll see you there mid august for the intro week. :)

Back