• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
krkbl said:
congrats to everyone who got accepted. Just out of curiosity, for what term do you have to serve in the military for? I'm going into computer science in Civi U and i was selected for Land Engineering grouping. I was told that I would have to serve for 13 years (inlcuding 4 years of university) that would leave me 9 years more after the university. This seemed a little too long. Not that I mind serving in the military for a long time but just wondering how many years you guys were told that you have to serve?

Keep in mind that you don't have to serve all 13 years of a 13 year variable intermediate engagement.  You can be released from the CF, either at your request or the CF's.  Some restrictions may apply and I'll summarize them below.

You will incur obligatory service for your subsidized education.  Generally for ROTP this will be 5 years, though it can be less if you complete your degree with less than 30 months of subsidized education.  The rate at which obligatory service is incurred is 2 months per 1 month of subsidized education up to a maximum of 60 months.  During your period of obligatory service a release from the military is generally not approved, however, if it is you will be required to pay back an amount of money calculated based on how much obligatory service you have left and how much it cost to put you through your subsidized education. 

Another thing that can happen during your VIE, and the only officer trades this applies to are Pilot and ACSO, is a restricted release.  This period of time is 7 years for Pilot and 4 years for ACSO.  This period of time will run down concurrently with obligatory service.  Again, a voluntary release (or occupation transfer) during your restricted release is not generally approved, though AFAIK, if it is approved there is no financial penalty.

Before signing a 13 year VIE, I'd suggest reading this as a start:
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/05-05-eng.asp#ins-03-03-17

Also, when you read the paperwork along with your TOS when you are at the recruiting center to sign them at the enrollment ceremony, ask every question that you have so that you fully understand what you are signing.

I just called my recruiting centre to see if there was any news...turns out my file was closed or something. They said they tried to contact me in the fall for an interview, I'm not sure what happened because they had no trouble getting in touch with me in the summer for Aircrew Selection...same phone number.

I guess this means I missed the selection board even though I submitted my application last January or February...how frustrating is that.

The moral is to call the recruiting centre to check up I guess.

Ouch... Sorry to hear that. Especially given how far a long you were.

I just recieved a phone call from CFRC Halifax at 1430 and I've been accepted to the RMCC for an arts degree with a land ops MOSID to be determined next May at an interview.  This is exactly what I was hoping for :)  I'll see the rest of the RMC first years in August.

Wow... That's really creepy ACEC... I was called at 1430 on Monday and was accepted to RMCC for an arts degree in Land Ops with an MOSID to be determined before the second year of subsidized university.
Really makes you think.

But wow, we are doing pretty good in this topic overall.

By the way, I recieved my carbon-copy ROTP acceptence letter. It's weird how everything that was changed from the carbon-copy is bolded. Ah well, you'll understand when you see it  ;D.

I went to CFRC Halifax to try and get my file transferred over to try and make the second board. The recruiter told me I probably wouldn't be in time for it, and I should apply again next year.

It turns out ROTP doesn't accept people for their last year of university anyway. Somehow this wasn't pointed out to me.

DEO it is...at least I got Aircrew Selection out of the way. Congrats to those who were selected.

krkbl said:
congrats to everyone who got accepted. Just out of curiosity, for what term do you have to serve in the military for? I'm going into computer science in Civi U and i was selected for Land Engineering grouping. I was told that I would have to serve for 13 years (inlcuding 4 years of university) that would leave me 9 years more after the university. This seemed a little too long. Not that I mind serving in the military for a long time but just wondering how many years you guys were told that you have to serve?

Throughout my application process I was told that land operations, my occupational grouping, was accompanied with a 9 year contract, 4 of those years being university.  When I received my phone call, I was told that mine was a 13 year contract.  I'm not sure, but I think you might be wondering the same thing I am.  Does anyone know if there has there been a change to the initial contract with regards to obligatory service for non-pilot trades?

Not sure ACEC, but if i remember correctly the contract we signed clearly says for every month of subsidized education you require 2 months of service.

As far as I know, the obligatory service due to ROTP and the VIE ("contract") are two completely separate things.  13 years is essentially the amount of time that the CF is required to employ you.  The obligatory service is the amount of time you must spend in the CF to make up for them paying for your tuition.  The obligatory service period will usually end well before the 13 years, and you can release at this point if you wish, however you can also stay until the 13 years is up, and you can release at this point or the CF will give you a new contract (unless they don't want you anymore ;))

EDIT: See prima6's post on the last page, http://forums.air-force.ca/forums/threads/79084/post-820899.html#msg820899

VERY key part about the contract: five years is your obligatory service for the free education, but you are still signing a 13 year contract. This means even if you have finished your obligatory service, you still agreed to serve for the full thirteen and, if the CF sees fit, they can keep you until your contract ends.  Now, from what I've heard, they often don't but they still can.

(At least this is the explanation I've heard, but then again I don't write the contracts)

Thanks for the replies dice and scott, that is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. 

I just found out that I got into RMC for Business Administration in air ops (Pilot).

This is weird because just last week I got a letter telling me I was accepted for Civi U.  Everybody says that I should go to RMC but I just don't know?

Everybody says that I should go to RMC but I just don't know?

Personally I wouldn't even have to think twice about it, I'd definitely go for it. Free university and a salary to go with it, doesn't get much better than that. Plus you can get out before second year duty free if you think it's not for you.

Congrats on the offer

jmhfighterpilot said:
I just found out that I got into RMC for Business Administration in air ops (Pilot).

This is weird because just last week I got a letter telling me I was accepted for Civi U.   Everybody says that I should go to RMC but I just don't know?

How did you get to find out that you were selected for RMC after getting selected for civi u? did u get a call?

Got selected for pilot, ROTP going to St.Jean next year

quick question though, is everyone else whose doing grade 12 this year not required to submit you grade 12 marks? Do they just do it based on you grade 11 marks?

I was told I needed to bring in my Diploma, not my marks per se.  I suppose that should be any other candidates instructions as well.

Got selected for pilot, ROTP going to St.Jean next year

Congrats !

But do you mean Air Ops?  Just making sure because you shouldn't be learning your specific MOC until after 1st year of school.

Ya, I'm guessing thats what I meant. They called me a few weeks after I passed ACS (March 23-28) and told me I was in. I asked for what job and they said i was down as pilot, I'm guessing now it's just down as Air Ops.
so this means they base it on grade 11 marks if you haven't yet completed grade 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back