• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rossetta Stone Language Training

PPCLI MCpl

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone here has ever used any of their products.  I'm considering purchasing the Level 1 Pashto CD-ROM.  If anyone has any comments or reviews it would be most appreciated.

PPCLI Mcpl, Never tried Rossetta Stone but have you seen these yet from OEF...language survival kits that have a collection of mp3s as well as a guidebook. There's one for Pashto among others. I've used the Modern Standard Arabic one and it's not too bad although there were quite a few errors in the guide, improper spellings/words in arabic script so I'm not sure if the pashto one will be the same.

http://oef.monterey.army.mil/downloadlsk.html#P

good luck, let me know how you make out as I'm curious about their products as well!
cheers.

I have used a Rosetta Stone CD-Rom for when I was learning Dutch.  It was too basic for the most part concentrating on learning some vocabulary, but not much in terms of sentences.  If you are using it while in a course you will find it too simple within a very short period of time...like three or four classes.

However, it was somewhat helpful for me for listening how to pronounce things.  If you have a Mic on your computer there is an exercise where a recorded word is spoken and you repeat it in the microphone and you can check to see how close it is. (On the software I had anyway)

Bottom line is that it is not bad, but don't rely on it as a major source for learning the language.

Shukran Yukon,

I was fortunate during my study of MSA to have a Palestinian and an Egyptian in my battalion to guide me along.  I'm hoping to draw upon my basic knowledge of Arabic script to assist me with Pashto.  

Pieman,

Thanks for your input.  I noticed on their website that I can subscribe to the program on-line for a one month period, which would cost substantially less than purchasing the complete program.  Would you recommend this as an alternative?

Cheers.

Thanks for your input.  I noticed on their website that I can subscribe to the program on-line for a one month period, which would cost substantially less than purchasing the complete program.  Would you recommend this as an alternative?
Not sure to be honest. I should add that I bought my CD off them about three years ago, so the program might have evolved and be a bit different now. They certainly did not have that offer back then.

I guess it boils down to how long you think the CD will be useful to you. Also, for the month long subscription period, how often are you going to find time to sit down and work with the program? If you don't get full use of it, then you may not really save anything.

Back