• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC Officer Sues to Avoid Saluting, Toasting Queen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read the thread and the news items - he is an Associate Professor at RMC and a member of PPCLI.

Well... I guess it is high time for the Commandant of RMC to put on his pants, put his hat on and go have a face to face with the "gent".

Dr. Mac Giolla Chainnigh conducts research which investigates the circumstellar morphology in symbiotic star systems. Symbiotic stars are binary systems in which one component, the "cool component", is a late-type star (e.g. a red giant), and the other component, the "hot component", is a compact object, typically a white dwarf.  Current work at RMC involves both observations and theoretical analysis of symbiotic stars.

Ah, so his field of study is appropriate, for in his world, he's the centre of the solar system and everything revolves around him.

BTW Elf - that's way too much astronomy terminology for an HSO.....

This officer and "Gentleman" should resign his commission as soon as possible. He is not leading by example, and doing this for political reasons. The military is no place for politics and as such, his Commnding Officer should "counsel" this officer to cease and desist.
I will tell you one thing: if a MCpl or any NCM were to do this, he' d be segregated from the others and released. Any comments?

OldSolduer said:
This officer and "Gentleman" should resign his commission as soon as possible. He is not leading by example, and doing this for political reasons. The military is no place for politics and as such, his Commnding Officer should "counsel" this officer to cease and desist.
I will tell you one thing: if a MCpl or any NCM were to do this, he' d be segregated from the others and released. Any comments?

It's what all of us wants, and wishes that he'll do.... and soon.

I keep saying that he should be forcibly separated from the Force. He is the poisonous fruit in the tree, and we must cut him off before his contagion can spread amongst others. This is a chance for the CF to change the doctrine and training methods employed at RMC once and for all. Lets take this chance and utilize it to it's full potential.

His history and heritage are important enough for him to legally change his name to something 99.99% of Canadians can't even pronounce.  On top of that he has become the champion of a dying language and figures the Canadian government should contribute funds to his pet project (Irish at home in Canada).  I also note the article states he speaks with a soft Ontario accent so I strongly suspect that Canada's reaffirmation of who our Head of State is is much, much less distant history than his ancestors emigration to Canada.  Yet the traditions and heritage of the Canadian Forces and Canada aren't worthy of his time because, it appears, his ancestors were conquered centuries ago and he can't get over that fact, notwithstanding his "nation" has been sovereign since 1921.  Good thing most of us don't abide by that train of thought or we'd be a nation of anarchists...oh, wait a minute, we're getting closer and closer to that every day.

For those so inclined, if someone were to lay a complaint to the NIS regarding his statements, they would be compelled to investigate.  A word of warning though, if charges were to be laid it would simply extend his 5 minutes.  I'm inclined to just let him fade away and in 2 months days, nobody outside the military will even remember who he is. 

Ref paying for his education, I'm personally gobsmacked that the CF saw fit to fund a PhD in this field and continues to pay him to research it.  My understanding was post-Grad was supposed to have some sort of military nexus/benefit to the CF?

Ref his career, perhaps a posting back to a Bn is in order so he can become reacquainted with his roots?

In regards to the blanket party, as a fairly senior NCM (30+ years)  a "blanket party" would have worked 15 or more years ago. It will not work in today's climate of "political correctness" for the following reasons:
1. Within a few days from now, a high profile lawyer will take on his case, if he has not done so already. They will cry about the rights a freedoms and how this "Officer's" case is an affront to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms;
2. If he is physically assaulted, the person(s) who carried out the assault WILL be subjected to the Code of Service Discipline. An assault is an assault, reasons notwithstanding. The civil rights crowd would have a field day with this, as will the media, crying about how his right to safety was violated; and
3. If he is removed from his position at RMC, he will sue and use the media to his advantage on how the CF is "discriminating" against him. He will apply for and may get an injunction preventing the CF from removing him.

LIke I said, ablanket party would have worked years ago....but not today.

1. Within a few days from now, a high profile lawyer will take on his case, if he has not done so already. They will cry about the rights a freedoms and how this "Officer's" case is an affront to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms;

He has already made a Charter of Rights and Freedoms case about this (allbeit without the high profile lawyer) in the courts and lost

But no I do agree a "blanket party" I really don't think would be a serious suggestion.

Teflon said:
He has already made a Charter of Rights and Freedoms case about this (allbeit without the high profile lawyer) in the courts and lost

But no I do agree a "blanket party" I really don't think would be a serious suggestion.

It's a wonderful thought - but noone with any kind of common sense would actually try it - just adds fuel to the flames.

Hopefully this will die down and he'll be disgracefully removed from the forces - especially if he pulls some stunt at the next mess dinner or something...

Cat said:
Hopefully this will die down and he'll be disgracefully removed from the forces - especially if he pulls some stunt at the next mess dinner or something...

Oooh, I would soooo love to be there!  I certainly wouldn't put up with that cr@p.

The guy may be smart and a good prof, but he's certainly not a good officer.  If it was a matter of keeping him on as teaching staff, then fine, offer him a contract after he's released/takes his release/whatever.

Personally I think the S**tbubble should be properly disciplined.  My wife is Irish and came to Canada in 1989 and has been to many Mess dinners and other military functions, while she is not a fan of the British she does realize our history and traditions and has never made a deal about it.  This is a nother case of come dickhead trying to be more Irish than the Irish themselves.  Look at the States and their St Patrick's Day, no respectable Irishman would be caught drinking green beer, hard to make Guinness green.

IMO, when you sign on the dotted line, offering your life to the CF, all individual rights, and all political and religious beliefs should be suspended for the duration of your career if it interferes with your job and the fulfillment of your duties. it all started going downhill when the Cf started allowing natives to start growing their hair and Muslims to wear turbans and grow facial hair, as they no longer meet the uniformity that is required in a disciplined military, and in some cases, affecting safety. On ship, every member must be capable of donning a Chemox and fight fires, or to be able to wear a gas mask in a NBC attack in a war zone, excessive facial hair and the Turban prohibits this and therefor because of religious rights, that person cannot be safely employed in an operational theatre or on ships, hurting the CF on a whole. If you are unwilling to meet these basic standards for look and deportment, and pledge allegiance to the Head of State of Canada (the Queen), as a member of commonwealth countries military, then you should not be employed by the CF.

Frostnipped Elf said:
If you read the thread and the news items - he is an Associate Professor at RMC and a member of PPCLI.

Not to mention my Astronomy teacher.... ::)

Bigrex said:
IMO, when you sign on the dotted line, offering your life to the CF, all individual rights, and all political and religious beliefs should be suspended for the duration of your career if it interferes with your job and the fulfillment of your duties. it all started going downhill when the Cf started allowing natives to start growing their hair and Muslims to wear turbans and grow facial hair, as they no longer meet the uniformity that is required in a disciplined military, and in some cases, affecting safety. On ship, every member must be capable of donning a Chemox and fight fires, or to be able to wear a gas mask in a NBC attack in a war zone, excessive facial hair and the Turban prohibits this and therefor because of religious rights, that person cannot be safely employed in an operational theatre or on ships, hurting the CF on a whole. If you are unwilling to meet these basic standards for look and deportment, and pledge allegiance to the Head of State of Canada (the Queen), as a member of commonwealth countries military, then you should not be employed by the CF.

Interesting that someone in the senior service would bring up beards in this context...  Religious allowances are acceptable to the Queen, and as such, my brothers and sisters at arms should be encouraged to carry on as such.  Nothing about a Turban, nor a beard precludes anyone from being able to do their job and service to the Queen.  Further, it is on dress regs as being acceptable, so my suggestion is accept it and move on.  Your perceived lack of uniformity does not preclude the members from the NDA, CoSD or QR&O's.

Further, friends and subordinates of mine, to whom you infer, are loyal subjects to the Queen, and take their Oaths very very seriously.  Being a Muslim and wearing a beard is not indicative of ability to do one's job... Nor is it a subject of discussion here as I understand it.

Bigrex said:

Hmmm I think you carried that a weee bit too far there mate.

Are professors at RMC tenured, to remain there until death or senility, or are they still subject to being posted every few years?

On the radio this morning I heard he petitioned for this. As far as I know it is against regs for a CF member to petition (QR&0 19.10). It may have been a bad choice of words by the CBC, but if not I'm wondering why he is not being charged.

To put a positive note on this...

Isn't it a wonderful reflection of our country that a man, a commissioned officer, can exercise his rights so fully and so contrary to what we all believe. When I see stories like this, I become even prouder of our system the I already was.

I am a monarchist, and actually a member of the monarchist league of Canada, but I respect this man's right to speak his mind.

That said, he lost the case today, so it's time for him to shut up, toe the line, or release. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back