• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rifles for Rangers

TCBF said:
- What you do is send a helicopter full of RCMP/canada Customs/Immigration Agents and document them and arrest them.  ANY lack of cooperation results in escalation. 

Having worked with the above organizations, I think I would take the Rangers.  ;)

Hell they won't arrest First Nations placing illegal blockades in the middle of Ontario.

Colin P said:
... Hell they won't arrest First Nations placing illegal blockades in the middle of Ontario.

- That is a purely internal matter.  Aliens tresspassing in our Arctic is diplomatic put up or shut up time.

TCBF said:
- That is a purely internal matter.  Aliens tresspassing in our Arctic is diplomatic put up or shut up time.

That might happen with Harper, but Dion would send a strongly worded whine to the UN about how unfair it is.

Colin P said:
That might happen with Harper, but Dion would send a strongly worded whine to the UN about how unfair it is.

- We all know what neutral Sweden does to unidentified submersed contacts in her waters.  Sweden would back us up.

:D

40below said:
They'll use it for bears, IIRC, but a .303 is a bit more gun than you need for the average hunting trip up there. Maybe OK for caribou, but not ducks and the like, and while undeniably effective against seals, it would make a the pelt pretty much unusable for use as clothing.

How would a .303 round make a pelt unusable?You realise you so shoot them in the head right?No you don't usually hunt ducks with 303's (I use a 12 guage,or a 4/10) however as Geo mentioned free ammo is the big seller.And yes you can blow the head off foul with a 303.

Geo IIRC you spent a few years in the North as well?

Ex-Dragoon said:
What about something like new build M1 Garands? Its a proven weapon with a powerful cartridge.

I was originally thinking about new-build Springfield M1A's because of their popularity and you know you'd be able to get parts FOREVER, but was unsure of how well direct impingement works in the arctic? 

I also looked up Norway and Sweden to see what they're doing.  Norway just bought the HK416/HK417 which I thought was interesting (assuming they probably tested the hell out of their alternatives before making those selections).

One option I would explore would be the HK SL8 (5.56mm) or SL9 (7.62mm) both of which use the G36's key internals and policitally-important, don't have a pistol grip.

Matthew.    :salute:

Cdn Blackshirt said:
...I also looked up Norway and Sweden to see what they're doing.  Norway just bought the HK416/HK417...

- Denmark has an equivalent to Rangers in Greenland.  They use bolt action .30-06s

TCBF said:
- Denmark has an equivalent to Rangers in Greenland.  They use bolt action .30-06s

30 odd 6 is a nice rifle,however IIRC the ammo was quite expensive a few years back.I remember my father had one and got rid of it for that reason.

X-mo-1979 said:
30 odd 6 is a nice rifle,however IIRC the ammo was quite expensive a few years back.I remember my father had one and got rid of it for that reason.

- .30 - 06 is the most popular sporting cartridge in North America (second is .270 win., third is 7mm Rem. Mag.).  It has more bullet varieties commonly available than any other cartridge.  It will take all game in North America. You can hanload it for polar bears or groundhogs.

FYI - 30-06 and .303 are rather old cartridges the 7.62x51mm NATO / .308 Win round with the modern propellants gives the same range and energy...

Infidel-6 said:
FYI - 30-06 and .303 are rather old cartridges the 7.62x51mm NATO / .308 Win round with the modern propellants gives the same range and energy...

- I would put the .303 in the same catagory as .30-30, .45-70, 7.62X54R, etc.  a good cartridge if you are handloading for a specific rifle with a strong action, but the SAAMI specs assume worst case - surplus/old actions - and their specs suffer consequently. 

- The .308 Win will equal the .30-06 for most applications, but .30-06 has more versatility (up to 250 grain bullets: no doubt due to a longer necked cartridge case and a faster rifling twist - 1 in 10 - vice 1 in 12 for most .308s).  For our purposes (Rangers), I can't see a big disadvantage to going to a bolt .308.  If we wanted a 1 in 10 twist to better stabilize heavier bullets, I am sure we could get it.  It would come in a shorter rifle, to boot.

X-mo-1979 said:
Geo IIRC you spent a few years in the North as well?
Ayup.... '77 thru to '85
All over the eastern Arctic, Northern Ontario, Northern Quebec, Newfoundland & Labrador + NB, NS & PEI - lots of fun with lots of intersting people.

At the time I was working with the HBC (Horny boy's club) Northern stores....
Worked as an Accountant/Auditor = "Hi, I'm from head office & I'm here to help you" >:D
Was well paid for the time - but, after 8 years of the stuff, got tired of living outa a suitcase/Duffel bag
Get snowed in and you'd have to wait up to a week till the next plane came thru :p

Lotta fun....
Picture being in a twin otter flyind in a white out... Inuit seated across from me - puked his heart out, filled up 3 Airsick bags after which his buddy went to the pilot to get a few more.....
When the plane landed... he exited ASAP in the white out and wouldn't get back in.... FUN!

Back