• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rifle group sizes?

Petamocto said:
Afraid so.

Sadly, we hate the name so much because it's a PITA just to say instead of "CAP", we are now calling it "Bamacle" as in rhymes with debacle.

Context: When we walk around and see numpty-looking candidates in the J7 hallway, we always look for the Course O/WO and ask "Are you in charge of this Bamacle?" (BMOQ-L).
:salute: haha Very good choice of wording indeed.

Technoviking said:
Quick question: for our current threat, are those near misses consistent?  (eg: not just the odd shot, but a continual stream).  And if they don't "put their heads down", then that's fine, no?  As in some of the bullets will actually strike flesh?

No because the enemy has learned to fire and maneuver thru ineffective fire to flank.

KevinB said:
No because the enemy has learned to fire and maneuver thru ineffective fire to flank.
Interesting point, thanks.  I guess it keeps coming back to training (eg: teach people how to shoot effectively)

Question:  as part of our initial weapons training we first did a week of snapping in.....does the CF do this?

I found it made getting the sight picture instinctive using iron sights, plus a week of B.R.A.S.S. got the novices doing it in their sleep.....

KevinB said:

I would also counter with our tactics occasionally being adapted to making ourselves fixed in place to form a firebase and waiting for the fast air / UAV to do the killing for us.

Question

Do they still teach the doubletap firing method  ?

My personal favorite  ;D

LFWA recently ran a 2-week gun camp/ tryout for our CFSAC team.

Now, I've never considered myself a poor shot, but my marksmanship increased exponentially in that 2-week period. I learned so very much, and a lot of it was little things that never really get covered in the standard SA ranges/classes.

We spent whole classes learning how to properly adjust the C79 scope, and then did a walkback, sighting in and adjusting at the 100m-500M. We spent an entire afternoon shooting only from the 500. I never thought I'd be able to hit that kind of grouping from that range with a C7. Because we just don't do it.

Snap shooting, shooting on the move, barricade shooting, etc.

Granted, a lot of what we did (about 1/3rd to half) was competition/olympic style matches, while the rest was standard ranges and firing positions, to CQB/gunfighter style shooting.

All in all, it was probably the best learning environment I've had when it came to SA.

Lot's of:  "We're going to show you small things, if it works for you great, if it doesn't, try something new." and very little "Don't rest your mag on the ground! Because that's how we were taught"

There were a lot of basic principles that were better explained, and it also helped that we had enough rounds to try different things to find what worked for individuals.

I had the opportunity the other day to try out the SATS/FATS that was down in front of the Cartier square drill hall.

I was, honestly, very disappointed.

The weapons skills/drills are effectively the same, however, it is a simulation, and noteably so.

First problem.  Zeroing.  The staff were unable to properly zero the rifles to the targets.  I was able to shoot really pretty little groups, but we were unable to properly adjust the weapons to hit the targetry.

Second problem.  Recoil.  The recoil impulse started before the shot was actually released.  I've fired "a few" rounds through the C-7 FOW, and the recoil, while similar in magnitude, was wrong in timing.

I was not a positive experience for me.....but, on the plus side, I went back to the range the next day and placed 4th in stage II for the QM, so it didn't throw me off my game too badly.

YMMV, but I do not think the FATS is good value for our money.  Personal opinion is that we'd be better off using live ammo on a real range.

It is good to see Beadwindow's comments about the gun-camp above. 

NS

NavyShooter said:
It is good to see Beadwindow's comments about the gun-camp above. 

NS

Hey NS, congrats on 4th in Match 2. I didn't make it that far, but as a tyro, I was happy with my end-result.

For our gun camp, we did have some excellent coaches and experience.

As far as SATS/FATS, I'm of the personal opinion that it's a good system for a new shooter to introduce into some basics, but feel that it is more detrimental to more advanced shootes.

As an aside, who won the Queen's Medal?

Also agreed that CFSAC and the team training therefore is an excellent tool to improve marksmanship forces wide.  I only wish that the CF used the oportunity to develop more shooters and techniques. 

SteveB said:
As an aside, who won the Queen's Medal?

Also agreed that CFSAC and the team training therefore is an excellent tool to improve marksmanship forces wide.  I only wish that the CF used the oportunity to develop more shooters and techniques.

Cpl Dave Ferguson from LFAA for the Res Side, and Pte Tim Hiscock, from 1 RCR.

BW7,

Many thanks, 4th in stage 2 was a pleasing result, moving me up to 7th in Reg Force at the end of stage 2.

This year, they scrapped the Elite 50, and went with the "Combined Fire Aggregate" award, recognizing excellence in Combat Pistol, plus Stage 1, and Stage 2.

I slipped into 3rd place in the Combined Fire Aggregate.  :)  I was quite pleased with that finish.

Did you end up getting ahold of one of the little match aide-memoires that were distributed?  I'm looking for feedback on them.

I think some of the folks didn't understand the wind chart on the back, I'm wondering if I should find a simpler one.

NS

NavyShooter said:
Did you end up getting ahold of one of the little match aide-memoires that were distributed?  I'm looking for feedback on them.

I think some of the folks didn't understand the wind chart on the back, I'm wondering if I should find a simpler one.

NS

I did use one of the aid-memoires, gave me a quick ref to try to add up some of my scores, also a way to study my matches ahead of time.  Wind chart actually made sense to me once I thought about it, and I used it for some of my dope adjustments.

I was actually really happy with Match 3 and 4, liked that situational and barricade shooting was incorporated.

Beadwindow 7 said:
I did use one of the aid-memoires, gave me a quick ref to try to add up some of my scores, also a way to study my matches ahead of time.  Wind chart actually made sense to me once I thought about it, and I used it for some of my dope adjustments.

I was actually really happy with Match 3 and 4, liked that situational and barricade shooting was incorporated.

Then I'm pleased, and will call that little project a success. 

The barrier shoot cost me a bunch of points.  I was going to kneel against it, but decided to do a sitting behind cover (without having practiced the sitting much at all this year) and pooched my way into an 18 on that phase in M4.  I didn't do much better in Stage 2. 

I need to practice that some more...

NS

NavyShooter said:
The barrier shoot cost me a bunch of points.  I was going to kneel against it, but decided to do a sitting behind cover (without having practiced the sitting much at all this year) and pooched my way into an 18 on that phase in M4.  I didn't do much better in Stage 2. 

I need to practice that some more...

NS

We were fortunate enough to practice this some at our gun camp, and I found something that I like, similar to this,
bcm-match-barricade.jpg

however I ring my index finger over the top of the handguard to control recoil. I also stand into an almost low crouch. Worked well enough for me.

If I shoot again next year, I'm gonna try to use my H-Bar C8. Service Weapon and all

Back