• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rick Mercer Fights Back!

E.R. Campbell said:
I don't know Rick Mercer and I don't know much about him. But he's in business, and his business involves staying in the public eye with timely and somewhat controversial rants. He's good at his business and this rant, in my opinion, is just business.
Agree to a certain extent that it's all "show biz" at one level, but ....
pbi said:
I disagree. Rick Mercer has a long track record of association with, and support for, the CAF. This is not just "flavour of the month" for him. If a person of his stature is willing to stand up for vets, good on him. We should encourage him.
.... he has been an honorary colonel, and has provided coverage of the things the CF does, so I'm not willing to dismiss this as JUST Harper Bashing.

As I said, it's just my opinion.  It was free, and worth every penny  :nod:

I remember sometime during or right after the Ice Storm, he ranted (on THH 22 Mins) about how CF members were paid litteraly a few dollars an hour to do what they did and supported pay hikes.  He also visited the troops in afghanistan in 2003.

He may be anti-Harper and yes some stuff he's said is a bit out there at times but he's been nothing but pro-troops as far as I can see.

He also slammed Mel Lastman of Toronto for "...screaming like a little girl for the Army..." to dig out Toronto after a bit of snow came down.  He did this while acting as MC for the Halifax Comedy Festival one year.

MM

Crantor said:
He also visited the troops in afghanistan in 2003.
He also called us "Peacekeepers"

He's a self-serving showman.

So, as a "self-serving showman", how did he undeservedly profit from his visit on Dominion Day in 2011? He, too, is entitled to make a living doing something. I cannot understand your problem with him.

What has he ever done to you?

Loachman said:
So, as a "self-serving showman", how did he undeservedly profit from his visit on Dominion Day in 2011? He, too, is entitled to make a living doing something. I cannot understand your problem with him.

What has he ever done to you?
I have no beef with RIck Mercer.  I enjoy his humour, and his visit to the troops is done as a public service, not as a self-serving showman.  He's like Don Cherry in that regard - they visit the troops because they want to, not because they need to.

Technoviking said:
He also called us "Peacekeepers"

He's a self-serving showman.

He's hardly the only person to ever make the mistake of calling us peacekeepers.*  In all fairness, there are a lot of other folks out there who really should know better, but who have made the same mistake.  Sometimes, people have to use the terms that others understand (or think they do), even it they're not strictly correct.

Yes, of course he's a showman.  That's what he does for a living.  However, he has also used his high profile to bring attention to issues that would sometimes otherwise be ignored.  Love him or hate him, everybody talks about him and everybody thinks about what he says.  That in itself is in the public interest.

*Peacekeeping is an operation, not an occupation.

I'm sorry for having an opinion about someone, something I don't need to justify to you or anyone.  We all have someone we don't like.  I don't like Rick Mercer. 

Big fucking deal.

Technoviking said:
I'm sorry for having an opinion about someone, something I don't need to justify to you or anyone.  We all have someone we don't like.  I don't like Rick Mercer. 

Big fucking deal.
  I see the uber-sensitivity training is coming along nicely.    :stirpot:

;D

Back