• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RHLI

the burkalator said:
just wondering if u guys still ahve the victoria cross from padre Foot from WW2 he was my great uncle and i wouldnt mind knowing if the regiment still has it or what happened to it.

cheers,

Pte. Burke
C coy
Hast&Per

Victoria Cross
He was 38 years old when, as padre of the RHLI, when (during the Dieppe Raid) he performed the following deed for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross:

On 19 August 1942 at Dieppe, France, Captain Foote coolly and calmly during the eight hours of the battle walked about collecting the wounded, saving many lives by his gallant efforts and inspiring those around him by his example. At the end of this gruelling time he climbed from the landing craft that was to have taken him to safety and deliberately walked into the German position in order to be taken prisoner so that he could be a help to those men who would be in captivity until May 5, 1945.

His VC award was gazetted after the Second World War in 1946. Prior to his death, John Foote donated his medals to the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry where it is held at the RHLI Heritage Museum at the John W Foote VC Armoury.

Source Wikipedia

I'm a cadet in the 62nd RHLI cadet corps, lol, and a guy in RHLI now, named PTE, or CPL SUGGET, is there, he used to be in my corps, hes my good friend,,

Back