• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Restricted Rifle siezed unless transfered

Sigger

Inactive
Reaction score
Hopefully someone will have a suggestion.

I have a friend who purchased a Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout before the restricted law passed and now has 30 days to sell it or transfer it (until he can obtain his restricted license).

Are there any options he may look into? We cant find anyone with a restricted who is willing to hold it for him.

Thank you.

Sigger said:

I have a friend who purchased a Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout before the restricted law passed and now has 30 days to sell it or transfer it (until he can obtain his restricted license).

Are there any options he may look into? We cant find anyone with a restricted who is willing to hold it for him.

Thank you.

He can request the local police hold it for him until he has the appropriate licence. They may or may not agree to that, but if they do he has to get his course/licence ASAP.

Ask around locally at clubs, surely someone will accept it as a transfer until he gets the license for it.

They just made bull-pup design on large caliber restricted. It will take too long to get the restricted license.

He asked the RCMP/OPP/City 5-0. No No and No.

We will check at some clubs. Good call.

Sigger said:
They just made bull-pup design on large caliber restricted. It will take too long to get the restricted license.

He asked the RCMP/OPP/City 5-0. No No and No.

We will check at some clubs. Good call.

Hell, I'll do it if no one local will - he'll have to mail it to me but I'll send it back once he's licensed.

You might as well tell him to get a membership at the club (this will establish a bit of trust at the very least), and when he does, explain to this executive what's going on and ask the executive if they know anybody that might want to temporarily accept it as their own.

He will have to get a membership at a club to and be done his probationary period (if the range has one) before he will be able to transfer it back into his name anyway.

The range here was very good to me when I bought my restricted rifle and couldn't even get it transferred into my name to take it home from store because I was not a range member. They waived the 90 day probationary period for me(because I am RSO-qualified with the CF) and delivered the membership card to my door the same day.

Thanks Redeye. I will mention that. I appreciate it.
ballz, great, will do.

Thanks gents

Sigger said:

um I don't think so, I know they would like to. The Tavor and RFB are non-restricted.

Sigger said:

Thank you.

I'm trying to figure out what this supposed 'Restricted law' is. How about some enlightenment?

recceguy said:
I'm trying to figure out what this supposed 'Restricted law' is. How about some enlightenment?

I was wondering the same thing, Bill C-68 was passed in 1995, and I havn't heard of any new orders in council recently restricting other firearms.

If all else fails ask for people on this website if they can hold onto it.  I live up in Ottawa but if your buddy is really stuck I'm pretty sure you can probably find some volunteers here.

He can go to a gun store and they can accept it under consignment, he might have to pay a small service charge.

recceguy said:

I was wondering myself. This is the definition of a Restricted Fireams from the RCMP site :

Definition of a Restricted Firearm

According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:
A handgun that is not a prohibited firearm;
A semi-automatic, centre-fire firearm with a barrel length less than 470 mm that is not a prohibited firearm;
A firearm that can fire after being reduced, by folding, telescoping or otherwise, to an overall length of less than 660 mm; and
Any firearm prescribed under the Criminal Code regulations to be restricted (including some long guns).

The Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout is bolt-action not semi-auto. depending on variant it has a barrel length between 22 and 26 inches; so its over the 18.5 inch limit, and its overall length is greater than 26 inches (660 mm). I also checked the RCMP pages listing Restricted and Prohibited firearms and couldn't find it. Apart from its military look I can't think of any reason why it should be restricted.

The .338 variant is fed from a five round box magazine, and uses a 26" (660 mm) match fluted, free floated barrel. While the barrel is standard with a muzzle brake, it can be removed to allow access to a threaded muzzle for the attachmentofa suppressor.       
. - wikipedia

Perhaps once the barrel is removed it is shorter than 660 mm.

I have never seen any (un-modified) variant of the Desert Arms Tactical SRS in Canada that wasn't classified as non-restricted. There are several threads on the SRS on a well-known Canadian firearm forum that I have been following for some time.  Each dealer that I have seen that is importing this firearm into Canada has it marked as non-restricted as well.  I'm curious if there was modifications done to this particular firearm, or if perhaps there has been an error with the registration.  Not saying that it is beyond the realm of possibility for the RCMP CFC lab techs to re-evaluate a firearms status - anyone familiar with the Chinese T-97 affair that is ongoing right now will appreciate that fact.

SeaDog said:
I have never seen any (un-modified) variant of the Desert Arms Tactical SRS in Canada that wasn't classified as non-restricted. There are several threads on the SRS on a well-known Canadian firearm forum that I have been following for some time.  Each dealer that I have seen that is importing this firearm into Canada has it marked as non-restricted as well.  I'm curious if there was modifications done to this particular firearm, or if perhaps there has been an error with the registration.  Not saying that it is beyond the realm of possibility for the RCMP CFC lab techs to re-evaluate a firearms status - anyone familiar with the Chinese T-97 affair that is ongoing right now will appreciate that fact.

Absolutely. It's supposed to take an Order in Council in order to add a firearm to the prohib list, but the RCMP have just been deciding for themselves what they consider too scary looking to own and adding it of their own accord.

Couldn't agree more, Recceguy. With regards to firearms in this country, far too many civil servants and bureaucrats are stepping outside their mandates to in order to attempt to enforce non-existent laws. i.e. by using their bureaucratic authority to create policy and enforcing it like law - despite it being well outside their scope of powers.  I will be following this thread with a fair amount of interest to see why this bolt-action is being considered restricted.

"Well known firearm forum", trying to think, it's on the tip of my tongue, I can almost recall it's name.. ;)

I just checked the Firearms Reference Table (FRT) and all models of the  Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout is classified as non-restricted. I think there may be more to this story.

Back