• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Response's To "Ruxted On The Media's Handling Of Cpl. Boneca's Death"

Ghost and HL I totally agree with that statement. My son is in the sandbox right now and he dislikes and does not trust the media that is there at all. They have approached him on many occasions to try and get statements from him, from days after his accident till just the other day. And being the military person he is and knowing to respect others he was kind in his reply and just said the only statement I will give you is on how I don't believe that I should have to protect you reporters while I'm outside the wire, if you want more then that go elsewhere.

Why should the men and women have to look after these reporters while they are there? Do they have nothing else to think about besides the well being of them? All of us know they have enough on their minds with watching out for themselves and their brothers at arms.

I seem to recall talk about reporters, upon hearing of a slain Edmonton soldiers death, canvasing the street he lived on in the early lightless hours of the morning.  Apparently they found out what street he was on but not his address so they took to going door to door.

It wasn't just talk - it happened.

As others have noted, an important point to mull over is this: a soldier can be expected to be in different emotional and mental states during various phases of the cycle - pre-deployment, initial arrival in theatre, mid-tour, "short", and post-deployment.  None of these taken in isolation is a correct and complete reflection of the individual except as he might have been at that particular time and in those particular circumstances.  We don't need studies to tell us this; it's common sense and something we have been able to observe for generations and read about in the memoirs of those who have served in battle.

What has gone wrong here is that this one snapshot stands alone as the public testament to a soldier who can no longer represent himself.  Those who have contributed to and created this narrow portrait now have a duty to correct it by learning more, and telling us more, about the life and beliefs and ambitions of Cpl Anthony Boneca.

This is turning into THE SECOND NATIONAL DISGRACE IN AS MANY WEEKS.  That should be headline news.  It is a disgrace the way that the 'girlfriend' and her father are making a Political Statement of this and the way that the Press are running with it.

I support Tony in his assertion that the media has given positive coverage of the military and that we didn't accuse them of bias then.  

I suppose that the media must have determined by their usual means that "when someone says (was saying) something that is different, or that goes (went) against the flow, it makes (made ) news automatically."  By that definition apparently the media at large and corporately determined that support for the Forces was newsworthy, unusual, unexpected, surprising. It must have stood out.

Why did the media (again corporately) find support for the Forces surprising?

I also accept the assertion that no editor has told her/his reporters to go out and attack the military, that the only requirement is to find difference - presumably to make their paper stand out and sell more copies.  I also accept the assertion that "The media, as institutions, have a natural liberal tendency in democracies."  which would seem to put them in some dissonance with the authoritarian, hierarchical culture of the military.  They must find much about the military remarkable and noteworthy.  

Is it too far to stretch to ask whether this very lack of understanding results in more questioning which in turn just strike the persons being interviewed as ill-informed, naive or just plain ignorant? After all "They don't have the benefit of 20 years experience in the police, fire department or the military.  They are not trained and experienced lawyers or engineers or anything else.  They ask questions, and they get answers."  

One of the peculiarities of talking to lawyers, engineers, soldiers and, dare I say, media types, is that they all share a common jargon, short hand that comes from shared experience, common education and common understanding from which all internal discussions flow.  The outsider, not being privy to the jargon or the common understanding, inevitably has a choice of taking time to at least learn the jargon of the trade in question or risk being perceived less than favourably.  It seems that "time" is a commodity not available to reporters.  That must contribute to the observation that "They of course sometimes get it wrong...."

I accept that "Most reporters in Canada are young people trying to do a good job." and like most young people in that situation that means impressing their boss in order to keep their pay-check or potentially advance up the greasy pole.  Presumably the fault in producing poorly researched, inaccurate, hastily judged pieces lies with the more experienced editors trying to get "newsworthy" stories on the page.  Or perhaps it lies with the publishers that demand the editor create a presentation that is marketable.  Or perhaps it lies with the market and its desire for news. One might have thought though there was a difference between facts as news and rumour as news.

In any event, regardless of who is victim here: publisher, editor, reporter - possibly even the person being interviewed, I have to feel sorry for the press (at large and corporately).  It must be tremendously trying to go to work each day wanting to do a good job, to get a pay raise and promotion and know that you will never be given the opportunity to get the story right.

I suppose  of course the press could hire more soldiers, engineers, lawyers, etc to write about their fields - but perhaps they wouldn't ask so many questions and would be blind to the working assumptions of their colleagues.  

Fortunately the press is apparently free of such internal challenges.

military granny said:
Ghost and HL I totally agree with that statement. My son is in the sandbox right now and he dislikes and does not trust the media that is there at all. They have approached him on many occasions to try and get statements from him, from days after his accident till just the other day. And being the military person he is and knowing to respect others he was kind in his reply and just said the only statement I will give you is on how I don't believe that I should have to protect you reporters while I'm outside the wire, if you want more then that go elsewhere.

Why should the men and women have to look after these reporters while they are there? Do they have nothing else to think about besides the well being of them? All of us know they have enough on their minds with watching out for themselves and their brothers at arms.

Well, the time and trouble it takes to look after reporters in theatre has paid off in major dividends, in huge amounts of positive, factually-accurate coverage from one end of Canada to the other, and around the world.
Reporters bond naturally with soldiers, once they get over the initial wariness.  The great war correnspodents of history have always obtained the common touch by essentially bonding with the soldiers.  They become part of the section or troop after a very short time.  Read some of Christie Blatchford's, or Matthew Fisher's, reporting.

If we told them to go away, they would simply be out there, with a locally hired translater etc, and they would be trying to get their stories from other sources.  Then we'd complain that "they don't tell our side."  They have been telling our side for years now, and we only accuse them of bias when they report something we don't like...in fact the practice of embedding reporters with the troops gives them a bias, a bias in favour of the guys and gals in whose hands their lives rest, day after day.

President Lyndon Baines Johnson once said, when asked why he did not fire a troublesome press secretary: "I'd rather have him inside the tent, pissing out, than outside the tent, pissing in."

By the way, journalists in theatre are a good source of information.  They give as good as they get, and often provide info that helps solve problems and even saves lives.  On many of our past missions, the journalists were in theatre long before our troops arrived, and they knew who was who in the zoo, where the checkpoints and the mined areas were etc.  After working in theatre together, soldiers and reporters often return with a new, if grudging, respect for one another.

Kirkhill said:
I support Tony in his assertion that the media has given positive coverage of the military and that we didn't accuse them of bias then.  

I suppose that the media must have determined by their usual means that "when someone says (was saying) something that is different, or that goes (went) against the flow, it makes (made ) news automatically."  By that definition apparently the media at large and corporately determined that support for the Forces was newsworthy, unusual, unexpected, surprising. It must have stood out.

Why did the media (again corporately) find support for the Forces surprising?

I also accept the assertion that no editor has told her/his reporters to go out and attack the military, that the only requirement is to find difference - presumably to make their paper stand out and sell more copies.  i also accept the assertion that "The media, as institutions, have a natural liberal tendency in democracies."  which would seem to put them in some dissonance with the authoritarian, hierarchical culture of the military.  They must find much about the military remarkable and noteworthy.  

Is it too far to stretch to ask whether this very lack of understanding results in more questioning which in turn just strike the persons being interviewed as ill-informed, naive or just plain ignorant? After all "They don't have the benefit of 20 years experience in the police, fire department or the military.  They are not trained and experienced lawyers or engineers or anything else.  They ask questions, and they get answers."  

One of the peculiarities of talking to lawyers, engineers, soldiers and, dare I say, media types, is that they all share a common jargon, short hand that comes from shared experience, common education and common understanding from which all internal discussions flow.  The outsider, not being privy to the jargon or the common understanding, inevitably has a choice of taking time to at least learn the jargon of the trade in question or risk being perceived less than favourably.  It seems that "time" is a commodity not available to reporters.  That must contribute to the observation that "They of course sometimes get it wrong...."

I accept that "Most reporters in Canada are young people trying to do a good job." and like most young people in that situation that means impressing their boss in order to keep their pay-check or potentially advance up the greasy pole.  Presumably the fault in producing poorly researched, inaccurate, hastily judged pieces lies with the more experienced editors trying to get "newsworthy" stories on the page.  Or perhaps it lies with the publishers that demand the editor create a presentation that is marketable.  Or perhaps it lies with the market and its desire for news. One might have thought though there was a difference between facts as news and rumour as news.

In any event, regardless of who is victim here: publisher, editor, reporter - possibly even the person being interviewed, I have to feel sorry for the press (at large and corporately).  It must be tremendously trying to go to work each day wanting to do a good job, to get a pay raise and promotion and know that you will never be given the opportunity to get the story right.

I suppose  of course the press could hire more soldiers, engineers, lawyers, etc to write about their fields - but perhaps they wouldn't ask so many questions and would be blind to the working assumptions of their colleagues.  

Fortunately the press is apparently free of such internal challenges.

Has it, indeed, been confirmed that the partner released the e-mails?  I've looked over a ton of stuff this morning, and I can't see that sentence.

Canadian soldier remembered as an 'angel of a person'
Canadian Press -   Globe & Mail  11 July 2006
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060709.wslainsoldier0709/BNStory/Front/Politics/?cid=al_gam_nletter_thehill

Toronto — A Canadian killed in Afghanistan is remembered by family and friends as a outgoing, intelligent soldier who loved his girlfriend and was devoted to his work in the military.

Cpl. Anthony Boneca, 21, a reservist from the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment in Thunder Bay, Ont., died of injuries received in a firefight west of Kandahar City on Saturday, three weeks before he was to return to Canada.

Quote from article:
Mr. Boneca had been able to enjoy a brief break from his harsh duties in Afghanistan — he and his girlfriend recently travelled to Italy and Greece on a two-week leave, Ryan said.

He sent an e-mail to friends last week, saying the pair had the time of their lives on the trip.

“Wish I didn't have to go back to work. It's so hot here now you can barely handle it,” he wrote.

“I know you're all watching the news and know what's going on here, but don't worry, I'll be OK.”

More on link...but not much....Note: if you go to the link...read the comments...they sure closed them quickly.

If you're having a bad day, don't read the comments attached to this latest story...

I think there is a shared responsibility between the press and this young woman and her family. The media didnt have to run the story but the girlfriend didnt have to run to them to tell it. I think it's sad that they are dragging this young man's memory through the mud. I know things are said overseas out of frustration that are not necesarily what a person really thinks. My husband has vented to me on numerous occasions, but that doesnt mean he doesnt believe in what he is doing. He just needed someone who really cared to listen to him.
 I think it's ridiculous that she is claiming they didnt know how rough this tour could be. They didnt hide it from us. They told us straight out that there would be casualties, and anyone with half a brain could turn on the news and see the situation wasnt the best over there. My husband has been to Kabul and he has said that Khandahar is a totally different story, but he is in the infantry, this is his job. He adapts to it and does what is needed of him. And in the end he is proud of his contribution, as we all are.
 The media needs to showing all sides of this story and not just the ranting of a few people who are consumed in grief and loss. These people do not represent the feelings of most families in this situation and it's sad that this is what people are going to see. Shame on all parties involved.

Whats done is done now and its very unfortunate that it ended up this way in the media.

Although Cpl Boneca exibited all of the quasi normal behavior of a soldier who was in the final stages of his deployment, I seriously doubt that his family and those who cared about him understood that his reaching out and negativity of what he was involved in during the final stages of deployment are normal for allot of soldiers. The most important thing is that he was there to stack the door and sweep the building, regardless of his personal views on the deployment.

I don't think anyone has come up with a perfect solution for getting through those last couple of weeks of deployment, but most of us, myself included, have said allot of not so well intentioned things due to the stress of being so close to "quitting time". We have all seen the guys who spoke of putting in remusters and releases etc only to be revitilized after some time off after the deployment. Some need more time that others, but most come back ready to do the job. The CF must have spent a ton of money studying this and killing us with pre, during, and post deployment surveys.    

The media should definately bare some shame for tarnishing what I believe was Cpl Boneca's finest hour, but what they have reported, spun or not, was his words relayed through his family members who he kept in touch with by phone and e-mail. Unfortunately, if the last words to his family regarding the deployment were not positive ones, these are most likely what his grieving family will be clinging to.

The biggest lesson we as soldiers need to take away from this is how we project ourselves and our experiences to the members of our families waiting on the homefront.

As this theatre continues to develop and we are asked to work even further outside of our comfort zones, we need to really think about what we pass along to our family members, and what is best sorted out through discussion amongst peers in theatre. A few well placed words can be the difference between pride and despair to those who don't see the same light we do.

Out to me.

In the end, even if (and I stress IF) he hated and feared where he was and what he was doing, he had the courage to keep at it.
Talk to veterans of any of Canada's previous wars - most of them despise combat and what it does to people.
When the dust settles from all this, I think it will be summed up by what Thucydides said over 2,000 years ago:

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.

armybuck041 said:
The biggest lesson we as soldiers need to take away from this is how we project ourselves and our experiences to the members of our families waiting on the homefront.
As this theatre continues to develop and we are asked to work even further outside of our comfort zones, we need to really think about what we pass along to our family members, and what is best sorted out through discussion amongst peers in theatre. A few well placed words can be the difference between pride and despair to those who don't see the same light we do.

Out to me.

+100

So armybuck your saying we shouldn't talk to our families about whats troubling us overseas? clarify?

I think he means that a remark your buddies would understand as normal army bitching, could be misinterpreted by family/friends not in the military as something different / more serious than it is, and you should keep this in mind when talking to them.

There are some very good comments here. But, I'm afraid, the audience is pretty much "in house."

I would suggest that those of you who have been there, done that, contact the media. Particularly Reservists who can comment on their experiences and training. Certainly, it would provide a balanced perspective.

COBRA-6 said:
I think he means that a remark your buddies would understand as normal army bitching, could be misinterpreted by family/friends not in the military as something different / more serious than it is, and you should keep this in mind when talking to them.

Exactly....

Everyone here has their own ways of dealing with things, but some of the things that trouble us over there are way above the comprehension of those we talk to here at home.

Here is another angle. My wife who lives here in the military community of Petawawa has a much different take on things than my family who is sitting in Kelowna BC, knowing only what they see on TV and any little tidbits I tell them over the phone. I sorta have to adjust the content to who i'm talking to, even though they are all my loved ones. Just MO.

Reading this post makes me wonder if the girlfriend or his family read information about the cycle of deployments. I think that if they read any information this would not have occurred like it has now. I also seem to think they did not attend any pre deployment sessions. I received important information from all of these sessions.

In my case, my husband has vented on me and has said lots of stuff. Yes he wants to come home very bad too. We had this discussion this morning. But as previous posts have mentioned this is because the tour is winding down and everyone feels  this way.

However I did ask my husband hypothetically if I can get you home right now would you want me too? His response was this." Honey, I love you and the kids more then anything and I am sorry that I have missed so many firsts with our son. But based on what my section has been through in the last couple of days, I couldn't ever think of leaving them. We stand together and we will fight together until the tour is done. Then we will all  come home together. I may say lots of stuff and vent to you but you keep me sain and my kids remind me why we are here doing what we are doing."

"we need to really think about what we pass along to our family members, and what is best sorted out through discussion amongst peers in theatre. A few well placed words can be the difference between pride and despair to those who don't see the same light we do."

I disagree with this statement. I feel the families need to be educated on the cycle of deployment. I am very glad that my husband has confided in me. Some of the stuff has freaked me out however I realize that he needs to do this so he can continue on his mission with his mind focused on the task. It also helps me to understand what he is going through so I am not in the dark when he comes home and has different behavior.

I also feel that we as spouses were prepared for this tour. We were told of the mission and of the expectancies of causalities

Just my 2 cents.

Back