• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists Job Protection Superthread

Yawn,
THis has been discussed before.
I see employers surreptitiously asking job candidates if they are reservists...... candidates that will not be invited back for a second interview - unless the employer is realy and truly desparate.

This is the first draft of the bill - it can be revised and improved before passage.

Note also that it was introduced in the Senate (Senator Hugh Segal is the sponsor); therefore it cannot include any financial incentives - only the House of Commons may initiate spending bills.

So, were a member of Parliament to adapt this, and add in some sort of carrot for employers, then introduce it as a "new" bill into the House, it might be a whole lot more palatable.

They've got to remember one thing... Small business owners understand one thing very clearly.... money.

They understand that to let someone go off on deployment, it's gonna cost them something to train a replacement.
Give em a tax credit, a first crack at a gov't contract, exempt EI and CPP contributions for the replacement worker.... THAT is something they will understand.

Dec 03, 2007 10:18 AM
Rob Ferguson
Queen's Park Bureau
Military reservists called up for duty in Ontario will have their civilian jobs protected, and military families transferred to Ontario will enjoy immediate OHIP coverage under new legislation promised today by Premier Dalton McGuinty.
The law, if passed, would help about 8,500 military families who have had to wait 90 days to become eligible for OHIP, often paying their own medical bills.

"They and their families shouldn't have to wait," McGuinty said.

Reservists called up for a tour of duty at home or abroad will be guaranteed under the legislation that their civilian jobs will be waiting when they return.

"Ontarians who put their lives on the line to serve our country should never have to worry that their civilian jobs back home are on the line."
http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/282042

dangerboy said:
Reservists called up for a tour of duty at home or abroad will be guaranteed under the legislation that their civilian jobs will be waiting when they return.

I thought that this was always the case, its just a matter of what happens when they aren't "called up", but rather, volunteer.

Ontario joins the fray.

http://www.premier.gov.on.ca/news/Product.asp?ProductID=1814&Lang=EN

News Releases
For Immediate Release
December 3, 2007

ONTARIANS STANDING WITH MILITARY FAMILIES
McGuinty Government Introduces Legislation That Would Ensure Faster Access To OHIP Coverage, Job Protection For Reservists
TORONTO — The McGuinty government is standing with those who serve in the military and the reserves by introducing legislation that would, if passed, provide immediate access to OHIP for eligible military families and protect the jobs of reservists who are called up to duty.

"When asked to make sacrifices on our behalf, our men and women in uniform do not hesitate, so when it comes to accessing government services, they and their families shouldn't have to wait," said Premier Dalton McGuinty.

"Compared to what they do for us, these are modest measures, but it is our hope that they will make military families' lives a little easier, and provide our soldiers with some peace of mind."

The legislation, if passed, would also remove the 90-day waiting period for services insured under OHIP for military families. Military families transferred to Ontario from other provinces or from overseas are sometimes required to pay physician fees up front during the waiting period. The new policy is expected to benefit approximately 8,500 military family members each year.

"People who serve our country should not have to face an additional burden of paying fees up front for publicly funded heath care for their families. This legislation, if passed, would ensure that military families have immediate access to coverage for the full range of provincially funded health care services," said Deputy Premier and Minister of Health and Long-Term Care George Smitherman.

The proposed legislation would also ensure that military reservists have job protection while on a tour of duty either at home or abroad. There are about 12,000 reservists from Ontario, with several hundred serving abroad at any one time.

"Job-protected leave for reservists would acknowledge the service and sacrifice these citizens render their country and community. Ontarians who put their lives on the line to serve our country should never have to worry that their civilian jobs back home are on the line," said Labour Minister Brad Duguid.

Premier McGuinty met with military families today to outline the changes and thank them for their service and sacrifices.

"Canadian Forces members and reservists do a tough job, often in difficult conditions. They stand ready to protect us — we have to make sure our province stands with them," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's my question as well... does this protect those that volunteer? And what constitutes service which would be protected? Volunteering to go on a course or teach a course for the summer or just for deployments?

.... methinks it's just another way for provincial politicians to make promisses that have little if any meaning.

Troops who are transfered to Ontario CONTINUE to be covered by their old province's medicare plan for 1st 90 days...  so McGuinty promisses won't cost him anything.

WRT volunteering VS being called up.... ayup, you noticed the wording too?

That's my question as well... does this protect those that volunteer? And what constitutes service which would be protected? Volunteering to go on a course or teach a course for the summer or just for deployments?

According to the published backgrounder, the proposed new law also covers Reservists who volunteer for deployments.

The interesting thing about this piece, compared to other provinces and the proposed amendments to Canada Labour Code (so far) is that it includes pre-and post deployment periods with no time limits.

Haggis.... seen.... If I was an employer, I would prolly think a lot more BEFORE hiring a reservist.

geo said:
Haggis.... seen.... If I was an employer, I would prolly think a lot more BEFORE hiring a reservist.

Yup, that will be an unfortunate side effect.  I have already mentioned in another thread, how I believe I was denied a job simply because I was a reservist.

Bingo!

Employers already have to contend with, upon hiring young women - he can expect to give em a 1 yr maternity leave at some point in time... If he hires a reservist, he can expect to give em a 1 1/2 year deployment leave at some point in time.....

Without providing some form of financial advantage, legislating reservist job protection is, from my persopective, a waste of time.

I believe the law of unintended consequences will take over and we'll see a change in the employment landscape.

My experience has been over the years, employers:

A) Don't understand what we do, what kind of training we receive, unless they served themselves;
B) Don't understand what kind of commitment level we have(they think we head overseas on a moments notice);
C) Don't know we do in fact get paid,
D) Don't know how to utilize the Leadership/Initiative/Professionalism that comes from being in the Reserves.

The key question a potential employer is going to have is "how will this affect me?"  Nobody thinks past 90 days anymore, and thinking that Johnny Bloggins is going to go on "Tour, whatever that means" means they will have to find a suitable replacement, train them, in the knowledge that when Johnny Bloggins comes back they have to rehire them and figure out what to do with the person they brought on as a replacement.  This causes their synapses to fry because they have to problem solve on top of their normal duties.  Most managers aren't good enough to deal with this kind of problem, and most organizations not flexible enough to cope.

When interviewing, the potential employer will want to know up front if you are going away or thinking about it.  The answer yes probably won't work in your favour. Can they ask that? Yes.  Can you prove that's why they didn't hire you? Unless you get it in writing, no.

**edited to reflect my sausage fingers**

2 scenarios.....
Fella comes into the office after the weekend with a leg in a cast from a skiing accident... Boss is 1st one in line to wish you well & sign your cast.

Fella comes into the office after a weekend ex with a leg in a cast from a training accident... Boss is 1st one in line to tell same said fella that he has certain decisions to make if he is interested in working for his company... IE - Quit the reserves or Quit the company.

"Fella comes into the office after a weekend ex with a leg in a cast from a training accident... Boss is 1st one in line to tell same said fella that he has certain decisions to make if he is interested in working for his company... IE - Quit the reserves or Quit the company."

Has this actually happened?,  :mad:

EDIT: I missed the scenario part

geo said:
Employers already have to contend with, upon hiring young women - he can expect to give em a 1 yr maternity leave at some point in time...

Maybe not, her hubby might take half of it..... ;)

Now I have a question, does this mean if you go on course like for the summer your job will still be protected when you get back? Or does it actually mean Operational Theaters.

slowmode said:
Now I have a question, does this mean if you go on course like for the summer your job will still be protected when you get back? Or does it actually mean Operational Theaters.

As I understand it just Operational Theaters.

slowmode said:

Domestic and international operational missions.  For time off for courses you're still on your own.  However, I beleive this new law has just made it much harder for Reservists to get time off for courses since employers now know that they MUST get time off for deployments.

"Be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it."

Good intention, improper execution.

I would much rather see forms of tax credits and the likes for companies that hire reservist or allow reservist to go on deployment.

Back