• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservist Part 1 Going from Full-time class B to Class A and Public Servant

MeInGatineau

Inactive
Reaction score
My spouse just when from Full-time class B (contributing to part 1 of pension plan) to class A. Now because she started a new full time job as a public servant.  After calling the Canadian Pension Centre, she was told that she can only contribute to one pension plan at time. Since she is a full-time public servant, it is more advantageous to contribute to the public service plan. She told the pension expert that she would like to stop contributing to the CAF pension and start contributing to the public service pension plan. 

They told her that’s not possible and that she would need to release to do so???? 

She doesn't what to release only stop contributing to the pension so she can start contributing to the new plan.

Has any one encountered the same issue or have any suggestions?

I currently pay into both plans.

She will still contribute to the reserve plan and cannot opt out.

Someone is giving her false info. 

The only way to stop is to release.

There are additional issues. While in both plans, each elapsed year counts as two years of pensionable service.  Years in CFSA part I on other than full time service ultimately reduce the pension benefits you will receive.

Remius said:
I currently pay into both plans.

She will still contribute to the reserve plan and cannot opt out.

Someone is giving her false info.
I paid in to both plans as well however since the migration of the CAF pension to PWGSC pension service the system prevents employee from having 2 active careers in the pension system unless you had it before the migration.

ML Sent from OnePlus3T o TapTalk

It is the Acts and associated regulations that decide,  not the software.

And there is no automatic stopping if pension contributions once you reach 35 years combined; you need to stay on top of that and request manual intervention, otherwise they will continue to deduct full pension deductions instead of the 1%.

Back