• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves or Regulars Assistance

canada94

Inactive
Reaction score
As of recent I put myself on a little ride, my recruiter at my reserve Regiment told me I needed 16 high school credits when I was sure it was 15, I then called my local CFRC which then told me it was 15. In between this time I had started to think about the Regular forces potentially after I finish High School (next school year); The reason I'm saying all this stuff is because both my parents are RCMP Officers, and I one day plan on becoming an RCMP Officer. With all the co-circular stuff I do, coaching, Volunteer work, working itself; my parents believe with Reservist time before I apply around 19-20 I could potentially get into the RCMP. Which I would love, but on the other hand I would love the regular forces and see many opportunities within it, I just know of contracts and their length time's varying.

Basically all I'm asking of you the reader is personal opinion, I feel I needed to start this thread because I find my story unique, should I do Res or Reg?

Thank you,

Mike

Personally I would say finish HS then go reg force. Better money and full time work - if you go reserves then realistically you'll have to find a civilian job as well. Wish I had thought of it when I was a senior.

MMSS said:
Personally I would say finish HS then go reg force. Better money and full time work - if you go reserves then realistically you'll have to find a civilian job as well. Wish I had thought of it when I was a senior.

That is true, I have to weigh out the fact that just because my parents "think" I can get a job in the RCMP after spending time in the Reserves doesn't mean I "will". With the regular's I will have one.

Thanks

canada94 said:
That is true, I have to weigh out the fact that just because my parents "think" I can get a job in the RCMP after spending time in the Reserves doesn't mean I "will". With the regular's I will have one.

Thanks

No problem. I would add that there's no reason you couldn't still apply to the RCMP after a few years if that's what you really want to do.

canada94 said:

Thanks
It all depends. Just because you join regular force does not guarantee you a job with the RCMP afterward. It will definitely look good for your application, but it isn't going to make anything guaranteed.

You could look into Military Police, as it's directly related to the RCMP; however, it's not something you'll get to do immediately after high school as it requires a one (or two...?) year diploma in some law enforcement-related studies.

What I would do if I was in your shoes, is join the reserves maybe while you're in high school. Keep doing your volunteer work and keep participating in sports. This way, you continue to be a strong applicant for the RCMP without putting all of your eggs in the basket of military service. If your application doesn't succeed, you could step it up and join reg force or go to university for a police studies diploma and take it that direction.

Just my opinion, of course.

Your opinion is highly appreciated! :) Because that is my whole other line of thought.. Your right with the Reserves and Volunteer work, etc it would help me obtain an occupation in the RCMP and still keep the option of a "CT" (I think thats what it would be called?) to the Regular forces. As you said about the regular forces not guaranteeing me a job in the RCMP is also very true.

Mike

I don't think that there is a 'right' or 'wrong' answer to your question - there are pros and cons to joining each of the reserves or reg forces.

MMSS said:
I don't think that there is a 'right' or 'wrong' answer to your question - there are pros and cons to joining each of the reserves or reg forces.

Very true, I find that the more opinions I obtain the easier it is for me to make a definitive decision. Both of you made very good points and thank you very much! As of now I am talking it over with my parents on what I should do, because I am under 18 i need their signature anyways ;) Even though they'll sign for whatever makes me happy, their input obviously matters.

Mike

Have you thought of staying in school after HS and getting a post-secondary diploma i.e. college or university?  You would still have the option of applying to the RCMP or CF when you finish, and this would open more employment options for you.

CombatDoc said:
Have you thought of staying in school after HS and getting a post-secondary diploma i.e. college or university?  You would still have the option of applying to the RCMP or CF when you finish, and this would open more employment options for you.

Do both? Working summers as a reservist paid for my college completely, and I had a lot of spare cash left over to start my life after school with.

I posted this in another thread, it's revelant

If you plan on completing high school (which you should do) I suggest you find out if your local reserve units offer a 'co-op' program, since you're in Ontario. That way, you can do your BMQ while earning high school credits. Also, you can probably go straight to your trades courses full time during the summer

Just my :2c:

Both very relevant I get very high grades as of now, and I probably could go to college or university, but personally I just don't want to :\ I know I should and I'm still leaving it an option but I would personally rather not, and as for the CO-OP I would if I could, but with the recent cuts Reserve CO-OP in my region is completely full.

Mike

Back