• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves in Toronto (North York)

Reaction score
I've submitted my application for the reserves and I have my fitness test booked. I have a few questions I can't see to find solid answers for and the recruiter said he was basically unwilling to answer any questions until after I've completed the fitness test.

Questions:
  1. I've told the recruiter I'm interested in the following positions: Human Resources Administrator, Material Management Technician, Armoured Officer based on a list they sent me. I'm very interested in being an officer, only want to join if that's an option. I'm interested Infantry and Artillery Officer as well, but on the list I was sent, it did not include North York as a location even though online I see those positions at the North York location on their website. Should I let the recruiter know the day of the fitness test that I'm interested in those occupations and perhaps switch occupations I listed or would they have just not been hiring that based on the list he provided?
  2. Is training done entirely in Toronto/GTA if I'm in the reserves or would I have to leave at some point to further away?
  3. I work full-time and have a fairly generous amount of paid time off, would I need to take PTO to come complete training, say a week, two, or more, or can it all be done on evenings and weekends?
  4. What is the usual timeline for training in the reserves - from basic, through to officer training?
  5. I see the pay is 'daily'. What is considered a 'day'? I see training listed a Thurday nights 7-10pm, for example. Is this a day or 1/3 day or what?
  6. Any other advice or things I should know?
About me:
  • Male, 34 years old
  • 3 bachelor degrees, 2 master's degrees and a few diplomas/certificates. My educational background in mostly in HR and Adult Education.
  • Work full-time 8-4pm and I'd want to maintain this employment as a priority.
  • Experience teaching at a college, so I'm comfortable with public speaking, facilitating, leading, etc.
  • Physically fit and no health issues.

Thanks!

1. You can only apply for officer or NCM on your application - not both. So you will have to decide whether you want HRA and MMT, or whether you want officer. If officer wasn't listed as an option, even if the unit obviously has officers, it's possible that they are full of officers, and can't accommodate anymore. In which case you will need to decide whether to wait until it opens or chose another occupation.
2. BMQ/BMOQ will be done at an armoury near you if part time during the "school year", or at a bigger base if full time during the summer. Your trade training will be full time during the summer at whatever base handles your trade training (HRA and MMT are done in Borden for example, and armoured is Gagetown I think?)
3. There will need to be some time taken during the summer for trade training. How much will depend on the trade and how long the training is. Most reserve training is broken down into modules to accommodate students and full time employment.
4. This is highly dependant on how much time YOU can commit. 2 years usually is a minimum for the earliest functioning point.
5. Anything up to 6 hours is a half day's pay. anything from 6 to 24 hours is a full day's pay. A parade night is a half day pay. A training weekend is usually 2.5 days pay.

1. You can only apply for officer or NCM on your application - not both. So you will have to decide whether you want HRA and MMT, or whether you want officer. If officer wasn't listed as an option, even if the unit obviously has officers, it's possible that they are full of officers, and can't accommodate anymore. In which case you will need to decide whether to wait until it opens or chose another occupation.
2. BMQ/BMOQ will be done at an armoury near you if part time during the "school year", or at a bigger base if full time during the summer. Your trade training will be full time during the summer at whatever base handles your trade training (HRA and MMT are done in Borden for example, and armoured is Gagetown I think?)
3. There will need to be some time taken during the summer for trade training. How much will depend on the trade and how long the training is. Most reserve training is broken down into modules to accommodate students and full time employment.
4. This is highly dependant on how much time YOU can commit. 2 years usually is a minimum for the earliest functioning point.
5. Anything up to 6 hours is a half day's pay. anything from 6 to 24 hours is a full day's pay. A parade night is a half day pay. A training weekend is usually 2.5 days pay.
Thanks so much for the reply.

1. So it sounds like they just have armoured officer available there, which is fine, I'm good with that occupation.
2. Thanks for the info.
3. So would taking 2-3 weeks during the summer be realistic?
4. So 2-3 years sounds about right.
5. Thanks for the info.

Back