• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves civies?

Fresh from my basic:

Reservists, unlike Reg Force, fall under the CSD (Code of Service Discipline) when they;
-are wearing a CF uniform
-on a military installation eg: ship, aircraft, vehicle
-are on certain types of leave
-are discussing matters pertaining to employment with the CF

But as a general rule of thumb, I personally like to conduct myself in a manner that puts a good face to the CF, whether or not I‘m actually working. Cause even though I‘m a civvy when I‘m not in green, I still think it‘s important to have a quasi-soldier mentality.

:sniper: To "Soldier of Fortune" (oh, good grief!):

Members of the Reserve Force are considered civilians while pursuing their civilian lives. They are considered CF members when subject to the Code of Service Discipline.

What this means is that a soldier could (for instance) be charged for being insubordinate while subject to the Code of Service Discipline (see below for the actual circumstances of when the Code applies to Res pers), but could not be charged if he, say, was insubordinate over the phone from his private residence and not currently being paid as a soldier.

It is a grey area in some instances, because the issue of Reserve service liability, Code of Service Discipline applicability, and insurance coverage for Res pers are at times at odds with one another.

For instance: A Res soldier in uniform walking from his residence to his place of duty is subject to the Code of Service Discipline. However; he is not yet ON duty and so it may be argued (especially by the Vet‘s Affairs bean-counters) that, should he get run over, he is not eligible for insurance coverage. There have been several such cases in the last few years where injured Res troops have had to fight their way through the courts to get a settlement. Thoroughly disgusting, admittedly, but a sad fact of bureaucracy.

To Pte F: If that‘s what you were taught in basic trg, your instructors were almost correct. Sadly, a simple perusal of Queen‘s Regulations and Orders would have given them the correct material to pass on. The fol ref should clear it up for you:
http://www.dnd.ca/admfincs/subjects/qr_o/vol2/ch102_e.asp#102.01

Saxon, that was an excellent post. Your comments about being subject to the code of service discipline while driving to/from a parade night while not being deemed "on duty" are also right on the money. There have been several soldiers over the years that have been coming home from a parade night and are killed by a drunk driver and do not receive dime. There is an bit of wisdom that states if you are having a heart attack, stroke, etc it is better to drive to work and make the call for the ambulance from work vice calling an ambulance from home.

Keep up the good posts.

:D

Just a short note for junior and senior leaders to look after an important admin item that often gets overlooked.

Each CF member whether full-time or part-time should have an approved physical fitness plan that covers the soldier while he is doing fitness training.

There have been several cases where soldiers were injured while cycling or running to and from work or on off duty periods and have lost access to benefits. What every leader must insure is that each soldier has a fitness plan approved by a fitness trainer that is acceptable to the CF. In my unit we use the same civvy individual that is contracted to do our recruit fitness testing.

The member simply submits their plan for approval through the chain of command to the orderly room who get the required trainer‘s approval and then you are covered for accidental injury while training for fitness levels to reach our Battle Task Standards.

This takes care of your soldiers needs and will save a lot of heartache and frustration if you actually get injured.

As an aside note I have found the veterans affairs people to have done a 360 degree paradigm shift. Going from attempting to pinch pennies from CF members to going out of their way to insure you get personal service and the benefits you are entitled to. Pension assistance forms are available through the Legion, MFRC‘s and most major VET offices in nearly all major cities. I have had the pleasure to meet several of the vet counsellors and I highly reccomend them-professional,confidential and ready to bring resources to help soldiers and their faimilies.

Esprit D‘Initiative

Sorry to say but even us Reg force are not covered will driving to work, riding a bike. Its just like any civie job GM does not pay if you get killed. for you Res you too.
Sgt J. CD,CDS comm

Back