• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves and Trades School

safeboy43

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about joining the reserves. I'm 17 and planning on graduating high school in January. In September, I plan to move on to a trades school to study for an electrical ticket. I really want to serve my country by joining the reserves. The closest reserve unit to me is the Westies B-Coy.

For an electrical ticket at BCIT, I will have to take one course for 10 weeks (extremely condensed because it has 8 units for 10 weeks), and then go and work for 9 months to gain apprentice experience on the job. This process will repeat for four years until completion.

I was wondering if anybody had done something similar so they were able to make parade nights and training exercises on some weekends. If not, would I be able to get some general advice on this?

Any help would be appreciated. :)
Thanks!

Twitch said:
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about joining the reserves. I'm 17 and planning on graduating high school in January. In September, I plan to move on to a trades school to study for an electrical ticket. I really want to serve my country by joining the reserves. The closest reserve unit to me is the Westies B-Coy.

For an electrical ticket at BCIT, I will have to take one course for 10 weeks (extremely condensed because it has 8 units for 10 weeks), and then go and work for 9 months to gain apprentice experience on the job. This process will repeat for four years until completion.

I was wondering if anybody had done something similar so they were able to make parade nights and training exercises on some weekends. If not, would I be able to get some general advice on this?

Any help would be appreciated. :)
Thanks!

When you go and talk to the recruiter at the unit make you discuss the fact that you will be going to school and what your availability will be and they will let you know if it is acceptable or not.  Many reservists go to school and work and have made arrangements with their reserve units to parade when they can.

I also think there is an accomodation of some sort to parade at the location you are in, i.e. not your home unit, for parade nights you are not at home (short term).  You can also be attached to another unit for the duration you are away and train with them (long term).  I can't remember the exact regulations for either but unless its changed alot, they are there.

My old reserve unit, we used to get folks in from various units, as the Atlantic Police Academy was a few hundred meters away.  While I was there, we had Jnr NCOs, Snr NCOs and Officers train with our Sqn and Tp from as far away as the GGFGs to 1 R NFLD R.

Eye In The Sky said:
I also think there is an accomodation of some sort to parade at the location you are in, i.e. not your home unit, for parade nights you are not at home (short term).  You can also be attached to another unit for the duration you are away and train with them (long term).  I can't remember the exact regulations for either but unless its changed alot, they are there.

My old reserve unit, we used to get folks in from various units, as the Atlantic Police Academy was a few hundred meters away.  While I was there, we had Jnr NCOs, Snr NCOs and Officers train with our Sqn and Tp from as far away as the GGFGs to 1 R NFLD R.

I see. I might mention that to the recruiter at the unit if he does not suggest it.

Thanks to both of you!

Back