• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Officers!

Mr. Ted

Inactive
Reaction score
In my neverending decision making process to re-enter the reserves(hopefully as an officer) I would like to ask a few questions of those officers who have recently moved through the recruiting process and training to become 2nd L.T.s.

Curious if you could describe the experience of BOT, CAP(R) and Infantry trg at the officer level.

As well, upon completion of trg and returning to your unit, your experiences there, interaction with your platoon warrant, the other members of your platoon, exercises, responsibility, nerves, success, failures....anything that may shed light on what to expect for someone entering the Militia as an officer, and a junior one at that.

Anything would be great. The question is somewhat vague intentionally as I would love to hear anything and everything you may have to say.
If you feel like writing a lenthier reply, feel free to shoot me an email.

Thanks in advance,

Mr. Ted

Times have changed since I did my Phase courses. I thought that my ROUTP was longer and harder than the RESO phases that replaced it. We all tend to feel that our course was harder and longer than any others that followed, and perhaps they were.

I feel that the Phase Crses being run at the Cbt Arms School are the route that one should take. They are longer and cover the subjects that matter in much more detail. I never had much time for those who took the ‘quickie‘ courses, although that may have been their only options civilian job wise. As a Student, the Gagetown route for Cbt Arms (or Borden for non-Cbt Arms) is the route that will give you the most rounded training.

Your Phase I should be pure unadultrated 7734. It will be comparable to Basic and a CLC Crse that the NCMs would have to take, all rolled into one. Mostly physical and mental stress. Your Phase II and III should be something similar to the Snr NCM Crses in theory and practice (less the instructing of Drill and classes). All Phases will require dedication and will involve copious quantities of Chicken S ** t.

This is a dated opinion and very brief in what to expect.

GW

Hmmm, thanks for the response. It is my understanding that RESO as we knew it is no longer with us. I assume that BOT is being run over weekends for a period of about 5 months, then CAP(R), which is probably 3 weeks full time and, I assume, the officer‘s version of SQ, then a full up infantry course.

I‘m afraid I‘ve been out too long to know how long these courses run, the washout rates, the difficulty level, intensity etc.

I am no longer a student but a 31 yr old "professional" who can‘t stop thinking about getting back in uniform. Drives me nuts. Need to smell CLP again and can‘t think of anything better than to have a C7 in one hand, a radio in the other and a bar or two on the epaulettes.

Infantry is the only thing I‘m interested in, 4RCR is right here in town, but man, it can be hard to get good consistent info from the recruiters around here about militia officer trg. I guess the other problem is one of constant flux - every year it‘s a new acronym, new standards(or lack thereof) and a new location for the courses.

I understand there is a home study component for BOT as well. Curious if by the final phase of officer trg you‘re qualified to run an infantry platoon both mounted and dismounted as a 2nd L.T.

Anyone who may know, please contribute. If things work out over the next couple of years(including getting a vicious scar repaired) I may be able to make the leap. Since leaving the Mo‘, I‘ve gotten an honours degree and have spent alot of time teaching. I love teaching adults and feel I would be a good leader. I also look good in face paint, he he he.

Anyone who has info, please let me know your thought.

And Mr. Wallace, pls define Chicken ****. You got me thinkin‘.

Moderators, should this be in another category?

Mr. Ted

Now Mr Ted....before you mentally pass all your officer training and start commanding troops, you‘ll have to be reaccepted back into the Reservers and then pass an Officer Selection Board selection process and interviews at whatever Unit you should join. Those, don‘t forget, will be your first hurdles.

GW

Good points, good points. How hard does it tend to be to get reaccepted? I‘ve read on this forum and the former DND site of quite a few former NCMs who have returned after 10 years and gone comissioned. I know the procedure is a lengthy one but curious how outright difficult it is to get accepted.

As well, I‘m afraid I‘m ignorant of what the officer interviews entail at the unit. I assume several senior officers sit down and grill you on your drive and ambition to serve, your dedication to the unit, etc. Anyone know who can fill me in?

I wonder how many junior officer positions open up yearly. May be hard to get within spitting distance of a Basic Officer Trg Course after all.

I appreciate the input received and if others can contribute, please do so.

Mr. Ted

Recently, officers take BMQ with the troops and then have a shortened course, just for them, to qualify BOTP. The CAP(R) is 6 weeks but I believe that it is broken down into 3, 2 week blocks.

Wow, BMQ alongside the troops? Wonder what that does to the old adage, "Familiarity Breeds Contempt". Don‘t know if I like the sound of that but budgets being what they are these days...

So CAP(R) is 6 weeks in length? I like the sound of that. Sounds like better trg than I thought. If the course is broken up into 3 2 weeks blocks, and then infantry after that, how long is the initial officer trg period? Sounds like it may be stretched out over a 2 year period.

Anyone know about the final infantry phase or stage or course or qual or whatever acronym being used these days? Would love to hear from someone who‘s done it recently.

Thanks again for all info.

Ted

Mr. Ted. I'm somewhat older than you, however I have been successful at rejoining the Reserves after a 22-year absence. I was an NCM the first go round with 3 yrs experience in Cbt Arms â “ Infantry. I then got the school, job and family stages of my like established. I decided that I needed more challenge than an engineering career entailed and started through the recruiting process. The only thing I can tell you about it is, be patience, but diligent. It's not perfect, it takes time, but in the end it does work. 4RCR is a good regiment. I'm certain there are positions open for officer applicants. The O boards can be interesting, in that a group of your peers examine your knowledge of Canadian history, military, current events, etc and gain a feel as to your character and reasons for wanting to join. Don't get too bent around the axle over this, it's more of a get to know you and what you may bring to the regiment as a potential leader.

As for training, you'll begin with BMOQ (Basic Military Officer Qualification) in London, Ont. on weekends. This comprises drill, dress, C7 weapons handling and testing, CF history, Military law, SHARP training etc.... Followed by 1 week Leadership in LFCA TC Meaford or CFB Petawawa depending on where it is offered. This is basically to get you familiar with executing battle procedure in a small party task role, something you'll use your whole career, particularly in Cbt Arms. Then it's off to CFB Gagetown for CAP (R) â “ Common Army Phase â “ Reserve â “ 7 weeks. On this course you'll learn about the section roles, tasks and attacks, the C9 LMG, comms with the TICS 522 set, Defensive positions etc. Keeping in mind that in typically Army training doctrine, each new course or role builds upon the last. The last course that you will take, prior to being promoted to Lt after time in rank as 2Lt will be RPC- Reserve platoon Commanders Crs. Again at the Infantry School in CFB Gagetown. This course is an absolute â Å“bag driveâ ?- prepare to push yourself body, mind and spirit to the brink of collapse and then some. 8 weeks of platoon tactics both offensive and defensive. You'll also learn about, qualify and effectively deploy platoon weapons such as C6 GPMG, M203 Grenade Launcher, 84 mm SRAAW â “ Carl Gustaff, 60 mm Mortars and if you're lucky, you'll get to detonate a Claymore mine.

The instruction is outstanding. The Infantry School is the best place to learn. This despite the fact the Warrant Officer's on the DS will tear you a new anal sphincter each time you mess up. You'll learn darn quick. This may be the earlier reference to chicken ****. Of course you‘ll be constantly tested by the time-honoured method of Confirmation Of Combat Knowledge.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Wow, that was exactly what I was looking for. That was excellent, detailed info from someone who has recently gone through alot of what I am trying to understand. It sounds like the courses are comprehensive, demanding and difficult. If I went back, I wouldn‘t want it any other way.

When I went through three courses as an NCM, I‘m afraid it wasn‘t terribly demanding and I didn‘t stay in long, being a nervous 17 yr old, but for that reason I need to get in again and do a nice long hitch, preferably as an officer.

Don‘t suppose you are in London are you? Would love to find out more about your experiences and anything else you can tell me about unit responsibilities, the ups and downs of life as a comissioned member(paperwork, I‘m guessing?), the sensation of command after being well trained, how courses compare to "back in the day" etc.

Feel free to add more if you are able. Your note was very helpful. Or anyone else as well.

Ted

Back