• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Force Application

brandon_g said:
is your basic at st.jean or borden? im going borden april 1...maybe i'll cya there

The thread is titled Reserve Force Application.

Guy. E said:
when and where are you going for basic?

Well my unit is going through a transformation from air defence to artillery so they are not able to do any BMQ courses until summer. My recruiter said that my summer BMQ would probably be in Meaford, Ontario or Petawawa. thanks Usman_Syed.

An aside to what has been posted thus far...
I am a Registered Nurse with a BScN from Dalhousie University with a varied background including Emergency Medicine and Mental Health.
I started my pursuit of membership the first of last June and I must say that persistance has certainly helped me along.  I have met with many roadblocks and have persisted to acquire what I desire most and that is to become a DEO NO with 33 Field Ambulance in Halifax, NS.  I jumped through all of the hoops as they presented themselves and continued to e-mail and call the recruiter for updates.  I even drove and hour to an Airshow to sign necessary paperwork for the recruiter.  Whatever it takes...that is what you have to do if you really want something...anything in life.  The pursuit of goals is not always an easy one but the rewards are tremendous when you achieve the goals you set for yourself.
I am not a spring chicken...although I am not that old either, lol.  :p  My advise is to be persistant and stick to your resolve.  I could cite all of the hurtles that I have had to jump to get to this point...but everyone's will be different  :D
I had my OSB this past Tuesday night and I am causiously optomistic that I will soon be a proud member of the CF.  My grandfathers both served in WWII and I believe that what I have been through to become a member is a far cry from their sacrifices.
I very much look forward to the honor of serving as my grandfathers did. :cdn:

Allright, heres my full and total story of my application. Ive told little parts of it in posts but since im getting sworn in on Tuesday i can tell the whole thing because its practically over!

ok well it starts off back in March of 05, i was a 16 year old boy with a dream. a dream to be a reservist in the Canadian Forces. So i got my fourms and right when i thought i could make the summer BMQ/ SQ they said that i wouldnt have my school Transcript in time! well then i thought, i have enough motivation to plug through the summer and get it all done in the fall. so i go into the armory during the summer where i meet a major who takes my papers and sends me on my way with a friendly smile and saying that i will be hearing from them(they ended up losing my files so i had to get them redone and all of my refrences again!!!) well now, so i get it all done again and wait and wait and finally recruiting kicks in and a Seargent takes charge of the Recruit platoon or whatever they called it. so i get a ride with a bunch of other enrollees and end up being very nervous. i ended up failing my apptitude test by 1 freaking question!!!! i was so mad!!!! well that was back on Nov 11 05, so i studied my math(thank god for Army.ca because it helped me sooooo much with practice for that problem solving portion of the test) anyways so i waited the 3 months untill i could retake the test. Finally when i retook it on Feb.7 06 i passed everything! and i did my medical, CFAT, Physical (and the rest ) all on the same day! so i was in a happy mood. Well then so i waited, and waited, went to a pretty interesting open house at the armory(got to talk to an ex Airborne who told me about somolia) so i called the armory one nite asking if my file had been sent yet(obviously it hadnt or else i would have been called) the recruiter said that she would call CFRC Ottawa and see if my file was ready to be sent over and that she would call me the next day. So i wait and i wait and then two weeks later call back and ask if they have heared anyting. well, i get a new recruiter this time who tells me that the corpral at CFRC was away when they called and that when he/she gets the message then they will call the armory back.So then i wait 3 more grueling weeks and finally get a call. The recruiter who i had originally talked to said that she had come down with a Sinus Infection and that she had been away sick and oh she has my file here and i am scheduled to be sworn in the next week!!! all that she needed to know was if i want to be sworn in with or without the bible.

oh man was that a long story, and thank heavens its finally over! best of luck to all of you applying and hope that your recruiting process is a heck of a lot less stressfull than mine was!

cheers! :cheers:

I submitted my application for the reserves back in September '05. In October I wrote the CFAT and wasnt happy AT ALL with the outcome. I have been out of highschool for nearly 8 years and math was never my best subject. As most of you know, if you're not keen on your math, you probably won't do good on that test. So I refused the 2 trades offered to me and rewrote my CFAT again in February. I did much better on my test this time (still didn't get the trade I wanted  ::) ) but it was definitely an improvement. So now, I face the hard decision of what trade I would like to pursue. I have qualified for Mobile Equipment Operator, Cook, Steward, Lineman, Boatswain, Military Police, Medical Assistant, Artillery, Infantry and Fire Fighter.

So far I have narrowed it down to Military Police.... I am 125 lbs and 5'1". I just sat back and laughed when I found out what I was qualified for. The trade I had originally applied for was RMS CLK. So after my test, he pulled me aside and read over the trades to me and I had to ask him "You are telling me I qualified to drive big tanks, carry big guns and carry big men, but I did not qualify for a desk job?". He just smiled and nodded.  :)  I smiled back, discussed what happens from here and left. Well, since I can remember I have wanted to become a cop. So naturally, without thinking, I choose MP. Med Assistant also jumped out at me a few times.

I went home and contacted 30 MP Platoon in Sackville and went to meet with Sgt. Brine. He strikes me as someone who is very willing to help me out in any way to get me in. He is aware of my situation with my husband going to sea and just asks that I keep him informed while waiting for my test results to finish lingering back.

Well here it is almost April and still no sign of my tests from the hospital yet. I call to check up on them and all they can say is call back next week. Instead of telling me to call back next week and having me on my toes, why not tell me to try back next month  ???  Well now the second issue arises with me attending College in the fall to become a Pharmacy Technican. I had been approved for a set amount from my bank to go to Dalhousie. Well now that I have changed my school (something closer to home and will meet the needs of my 2 small children), the bank found out the tuition is a lot less and now for whatever reason I need a co-signer. I didnt need one for nearly $60,000 but all of a sudden I do for a mere $15,000  :-\  What did I miss? So now I have to decide if I will try to get someone to co-sign for me or just say forget it and continue on with the reserves itself. I dont have a clue what to do from here. Anyone with suggestions?

S.Bradbury
    :cdn:

Dalhousie?

now my geography is a little off but isnt that right on the quebec/ontario border near Alexandria? i could be wrong but i know there is a small place called Dalhousie there. what unit are you operating out of because the closest one i know to there is the SD&G Highlanders.

Back