• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Courses Post BIQ

David Price

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently saw someone post a list of courses.  Are all of the courses a newly qualified infantryman could take conducted during the summer months, or do they also take place during weekends September to June?  Just wondering.  Thanks.

As a new R031 you'll probably go on a Communications course (5 weekends), Driver's (7?), and eventually the PSWQ (Platoon Support Weapon Qualification) (7 weekends). You need the latter to go on the Primary Leadership Qual. You'll either do PLQ full time during summer after that, or you can do 5/6 parts on weekends (but it's something like 15-17 weekends in 5 months.)

Basically a new guy will get COMMS,Driver's and if you're a good soldier, you'll get put on PSWQ quickly (might even be your first course) and go on PLQ very quickly too, depending on the needs of your unit.

That's about it for weekend courses, you could always ask for other taskings. Sometimes there's a need for cooking aides or whatnot on other courses (although I've mostly seen GD like this during summer).

Naralis said:
No, the only one that's summer only is the PLQ.

No your wrong... Mod 6 is done only in the summer ( so i have been told) And the other mods 2-5 can be done on weekends or if you want you can do a reg force one, for example i know there is one running in Edmonton this Jan

How long is Mod 6?  Just wondering for civvie employment purposes.  I would like to be strategic when I approach them about it and the more I know the better.

Last I heard it was 28 (or 27?) training days, with weekends off that comes out to ~6 weeks.

RHFC said:
No your wrong... Mod 6 is done only in the summer ( so i have been told) And the other mods 2-5 can be done on weekends or if you want you can do a reg force one, for example i know there is one running in Edmonton this Jan

I said that in the first reply to this thread.  ???

I believe the PLQ mod 6 for infantry is approximately 8 weeks now.

Naralis said:
Last I heard it was 28 (or 27?) training days, with weekends off that comes out to ~6 weeks.

I said that in the first reply to this thread.  ???

Gotcha sorry about that, No hard feelings

Naralis said:
As a new R031 you'll probably go on a Communications course (5 weekends), Driver's (7?), and eventually the PSWQ (Platoon Support Weapon Qualification) (7 weekends). You need the latter to go on the Primary Leadership Qual. You'll either do PLQ full time during summer after that, or you can do 5/6 parts on weekends (but it's something like 15-17 weekends in 5 months.)

PLQ mods 2-5 (no mod 1 for reserves) is 9 weekends (including grad parade) over 4 months.
DP2A (PSWQ) is not required for PLQ mods 2-5, only for mod 6. Last year, a DP2A was run between mods 5 and 6.

Naralis said:
No, the only one that's summer only is the PLQ.

Recce is offered over the summer (requires comms). I haven't heard of it being run on weekends. Anyone know something different?

Seaforths are currently running a weekend Recce course. Comms is supposed to be a prerequisite, but if you don't have it, you can request a waiver.

As the original topic was only concerned with Inf crses, that's all I am including.  Days indicates the number of training days for Reg F/Reserve.  You can do the math depending on if its during the week or on weekends.

DP 1 Infantry - 43/22
DP 2A IPSW - 27/14
Recce Patrolman - 24/22

PLQ Mod 2 - 8/8
PLQ Mod 3 - 2/2
PLQ Mod 4 - 2/2
PLQ Mod 5 - 7/7
PLQ (Inf) - 44/44 (done after Mods 2-5)

ATCIS Op Basic (comms)- 10/10
ATCIS Op Intermediate - 10/10

LSVW/LUVW/MLVW - for the first course 10 days, subsequent courses are 7 days (since you don't have to repeat PO 401 which is common to all).  Note, the TP stipulates 9 days, however the fine print indicates 1 x day must be added on for DDC & SBC.  Conversion courses can be run in 4 days, however this is only when a new veh is introduced to the fleet.
HLVW - 9/9

Hope this helps.

To the moderator, I have a two page Excel document that gives shows the most commonly asked for info for most Army courses.  PM me if you want a copy to post.

Back