• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Contracts: Terminally ill/Passing away

63 Delta

Inactive
Reaction score
My post in regards to Class A/B reserve contracts. What is the policy in regards to the contracts, if a person is diagnosed with a terminal illness? IE: If someone is diagnosed with cancer during there contract, is the CF required to extend that persons contract? IE person diagnosed with cancer 1 month into contract, given 3 months to live, and passes away 1 month after the end of the contract. I have been give several different stories, and would prefer a straight answer from a someone in the know/personal experience. Also if you can put up a link that could be found on the DIN.

Thanks

Start with CMP Instruction 20/04 at http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/engraph/coverpage_e.asp?docid=198

The specific example you cite:  I have never seen such a scenario, nor is it covered in regulations.  However, my immediate thoughts would be:

1.  Generally, pers are extended (if they desire) for a second period of service.  (3+3 years, when possible).
2.  If this pers could not be extended due to their medical condition, it would mean that their medical category had changed - likely permanently.
3.  If they had a PCAT that precludes their employment, they should have had a Medical Review Board, which should have recommended release.
4.  A medical release is grounds to begin receiving an immediate annuity (assuming this individual was vested in the CFSA part I or I.1).

I'll se what else I can find...

From my experience the answer is no - the military is not required to extend a reserve contract. 

The reference DAP provided is very good for this - look in 2.10 and check the CFAO it refers to.

Further to my last:

The individual / their survivors may also wish to contact the Centre for transition assistance:  http://www.forces.gc.ca/centre/engraph/transition_e.asp

Remember.... there are no contracts where both parties have signed.
The Route letter is an accounting document
The memorandum of understanding is, as per DAOD, written, approved, non-contractual, non-legally binding arrangements that may be developed at any level within the DND and/or the CF..... They just spell out the work conditions under which you are expected to work.

For a "contract" to be opened OR renewed, you have to be medicaly fit & physicaly fit.
If you fall ill towards the end of your current "contract" and there is every indication that you will recover, your employer MAY renew you.... or he may not.  There'll probably be an admin review in your near future AND you'll probably be recommended for release, for medical reasons, shortly thereafter - at the very least, after a maximum 3 years of accomodation.

If you are terminaly ill and the illness is not attributable to service, it is not service related and there is no one to blame for the illness..... I see a grim future coming up

Back