• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance Day: National holiday?/"Veterans' Day"? (merged)

Remembrance Day should be a National Holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 72 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
I will edit, however I meant honouring our veterans, and remembering and honouring those who died.

"Veterans' Week":

"Each year, from November 5 to 11, Canadians join together to celebrate Veterans’ Week - this year is no different.":
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/veterans-week

ObedientiaZelum said:
We have other months dedicated to various groups, lets piggy back movember with Veterans awareness month.

;D
"November is Veterans Awareness Month

November 11 is Veterans Day, and the Brookhaven Veterans Association (BVA) and the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) have teamed up to offer a month-long series of lectures and events at Brookhaven National Laboratory to celebrate the service the United States military veterans have provided to the country."

Done.

ME

Sigs Pig said:
"November is Veterans Awareness Month

November 11 is Veterans Day, and the Brookhaven Veterans Association (BVA) and the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) have teamed up to offer a month-long series of lectures and events at Brookhaven National Laboratory to celebrate the service the United States military veterans have provided to the country."

Done.

ME
Also remember, though, that the U.S. has Memorial Day, with its origins going back to after the Civil War, to specifically remember the fallen.
c2fce7f18b5dc3353d694a4cb36ef05c

Absolutely.

It's actually quite sad that it isn't.  I would like to see Remembrance Day better recognized. I say reserve the day and do something great for one of your local units. It really isn't too much to ask. 

skyhigh10 said:
It's actually quite sad that it isn't.  I would like to see Remembrance Day better recognized.

Remembrance Day has always been a Statutory Holiday where I used to work.

We worked Stat Holidays just as we would any other twelve-hour day or night shift.

"An appropriate recognition of Remembrance Day will occur in the workplace."

"If the employee works on a designated holiday, the employee will be paid two (2) times his regular rate for time so worked, and in addition shall be paid for a full day ( 12 hours ) at his regular rate of pay."

"If the employee does not work on the designated holiday, the employee will be paid for a full day ( 12 hours ) at his regular rate of pay."

Edited.

Hmmm, I remember a wise man talking about this years ago....

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/42677/post-372980.html#msg372980

dileas

tess

I disagree.

The existing "holiday" for government employees should be cancelled - we can have a new, "nicer" Veterans' Day in, say, Jun or Sep, when the weather is nicer, that will pacify the unions.

Remembrance Day should become, Ă  la the UK, Remembrance Sunday, with official events in all the communities that want them, on the Sunday before 11 Nov.

:2c:

I would like Rememberance Day to be a National Holiday but fear that some of the public would soon look at it as a day off of work vice participate in any sort of Ceremony , afterall...it is to Remember The Sacrifice of so many so that we live the way we do and speak the language we share.!    :2c:                  :remembrance:  :brit poppy:  :remembrance:

Kat Stevens said:
Remembrance Day has nothing to do with veterans. It's a day to remember those who never got a chance to be veterans.

Bingo !

And mixing veterans issues into Remembrance Day ceremonies is a mistake.
It only takes away from its intended purpose.

I voted "no"

E.R. Campbell said:
I disagree.

The existing "holiday" for government employees should be cancelled - we can have a new, "nicer" Veterans' Day in, say, Jun or Sep, when the weather is nicer, that will pacify the unions.

Remembrance Day should become, Ă  la the UK, Remembrance Sunday, with official events in all the communities that want them, on the Sunday before 11 Nov.

Thank you Edward.  I'm with you on this, it would hopefully be a solution to return the 11th to what it was intended.  A day to pay tribute to Veterans would be much more enjoyable in the warm weather of June.

E.R. Campbell said:
I disagree.

jollyjacktar said:
Thank you Edward.  I'm with you on this, it would hopefully be a solution to return the 11th to what it was intended.  A day to pay tribute to Veterans would be much more enjoyable in the warm weather of June.

My only fear would be that it would become the same situation as it is in the US, with Memorial Day / Veteran's Day. Memorial Day has the greater recognition, and Veteran's Day is just another work day for everyone except government (or an excuse for a big sale).

E.R. Campbell said:
The existing "holiday" for government employees should be cancelled -

I do not doubt my former employer would love to cut the gravy take away benefits that were negotiated decades ago.

Since Emergency Services do not have ( and do not seek ) the right to strike, any proposed take-aways by the City would have to go to binding interest arbitration.

If they had any chance of winning with an Arbitrator, I suspect they would have done so years ago.

E.R. Campbell said:
- we can have a new, "nicer" Veterans' Day in, say, Jun or Sep, when the weather is nicer, that will pacify the unions.

The Canadian National Exhibition ( CNE ) has hosted the Warrior's Day Parade every summer since 1921:
http://www.thewarriorsdayparade.ca/Parade%20History-Guide.html

Edited.

57Chevy said:
Bingo !

And mixing veterans issues into Remembrance Day ceremonies is a mistake.
It only takes away from its intended purpose.

I voted "no"

I never thought about it this way. Makes complete sense.

I agree with most of the people here that Remembrance Day shouldn't be a public holiday.  In Oz, ANZAC Day is a national holiday and while a lot of people do end up going to the Dawn Service and parade(s), it just ends up as a drunken mess by about 11am so lots of people (specifically those with children/etc.) seem to skip it.

I think the UK's Remembrance Sunday is the right idea.

krustyrl said:
it is to Remember The Sacrifice of so many so that we live the way we do and speak the language we share.!

English?
French?
Mandarin?
Tagalog (the fastest growing foreign language in Canada, and the most-spoken foreign language in Edmonton; the second-most-spoken foreign language in Calgary; and the sixth-most-common in Vancouver and Toronto)?

Whatever Remembrance Day is about, it sure isn't language.

PPCLI Guy;
Maybe not the PC way of saying it but I think most understand krustyrl's point.
I can't believe some want to move it until June or move it to the Sunday before the 11th. The 11th holds historical meaning. As for moving it to summer, let's move Christmas and New Years too! (I jest of course)
My God, it is one day - One day we set aside for a lifetime of sacrifice on the part of a relatively small group - a group who happens to be 'unavailable' to pay respects to fellow fallen comrades-in-arms.
I am leaving now to prepare to head into the city for this morning's ceremony-It is sunny but with a brisk wind and a little above freezing...but it is NOTHING in comparison to the discomfort experienced by those this day commemorates.

Pat

Back