• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
canada94 said:
Thats quite impressive may I ask were you play Jr. C? I played Jr. B a couple years ago.

Where'd you play Jr B? I played a couple years ago as well.

Dou You said:
Where'd you play Jr B? I played a couple years ago as well.

I was an AP for the Welland Canadians!

Recruiting Center: Recruiter in St. Catherine's
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer (ROTP)
Trade Choice 1: Infantry O
Trade Choice 2: Arm O
Trade Choice 3: Arty O
Application Date: September 13, 2011
First Contact: September 28th, 2011
Aptitude: October 4th, 2011
Medical: October 12th, 2011
Interview completed: (booked for) October 12th, 2011
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:

Nice to see you are moving along as always Canada94 :) . If you do not mind me asking, what were your personal thoughts on the CFAT? Through your personal experience was it difficult? Easy?

Today the CFRC contacted me. Unfortunately, the first time they called was during school. I guess me not being there must have led the recruiter to resort to an e-mail, in which I received one. I decided to call the recruiter instead and his reason for calling was because I had not knowingly put down a couple names of non-immediate relatives in the immediate relatives section at some point in the application. Thus, he had to determine if they were immediate or non-immediate and we had a little verification screening over the phone. That seemed to be the only snag in the application package (for now :p ). As of this afternoon he will be sending the RMC questionnaire and other supporting documents to Borden I believe.

So as of now, I now know who my file manager is, and I have to wait for him to hear back from Borden in order to start processing my file.

Feels good to finally get moving!

Recruiting Center: CFRC Hamilton
Trade Choice 1: Signals Officer
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: September 20, 2011
First Contact: October 4, 2011
Aptitude:
Medical: 
Interview completed:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

scriptox said:
Nice to see you are moving along as always Canada94 :) . If you do not mind me asking, what were your personal thoughts on the CFAT? Through your personal experience was it difficult? Easy?

Today the CFRC contacted me. Unfortunately, the first time they called was during school. I guess me not being there must have led the recruiter to resort to an e-mail, in which I received one. I decided to call the recruiter instead and his reason for calling was because I had not knowingly put down a couple names of non-immediate relatives in the immediate relatives section at some point in the application. Thus, he had to determine if they were immediate or non-immediate and we had a little verification screening over the phone. That seemed to be the only snag in the application package (for now :p ). As of this afternoon he will be sending the RMC questionnaire and other supporting documents to Borden I believe.

So as of now, I now know who my file manager is, and I have to wait for him to hear back from Borden in order to start processing my file.

Feels good to finally get moving!

Recruiting Center: CFRC Hamilton
Trade Choice 1: Signals Officer
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: September 20, 2011
First Contact: October 4, 2011
Aptitude:
Medical: 
Interview completed:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

Yes so far steady as she goes! I am glad to hear you can get the process rolling as well :)

As for the CFAT, to be honest it was a little harder then I had expected, not everywhere, but only in the Math section. Just study well, and you will do fine, I have never done "exceptional" at math. I am an English, politics type. I was also told that although I passed.. I barely did. So in the end this could bite my ass.

However better then failing.

Good luck !

Indeed. At least you passed, I still have to worry about passing haha. If the CFRC would be able to book all my testing for this Friday that would be fantastic, seeing as I have that school day off. Being that the CFRC closes at 4:30, and I now have no ride anywhere until 5:00, taking the bus to Hamilton (hour and a half commute) may be a serious option for me. That, and a taxi :p.

Good luck to you all !

canada94 said:
As for the CFAT, to be honest it was a little harder then I had expected, not everywhere, but only in the Math section. Just study well, and you will do fine, I have never done "exceptional" at math. I am an English, politics type. I was also told that although I passed.. I barely did. So in the end this could bite my ass.

However better then failing.

Good luck !

Good job on the pass.

The hardest part on the CFAT for me was the time limit. I wasn't used to timed tests so I took too long and ended up rushing through the last couple questions.

I still qualified for Officer. All they told me is that I passed.

Mkenzie said:
Good job on the pass.

The hardest part on the CFAT for me was the time limit. I wasn't used to timed tests so I took too long and ended up rushing through the last couple questions.

I still qualified for Officer. All they told me is that I passed.

Why did you not stick with it? I am just wondering not to sound like an ass.

scriptox said:
Indeed. At least you passed, I still have to worry about passing haha. If the CFRC would be able to book all my testing for this Friday that would be fantastic, seeing as I have that school day off. Being that the CFRC closes at 4:30, and I now have no ride anywhere until 5:00, taking the bus to Hamilton (hour and a half commute) may be a serious option for me. That, and a taxi :p.

Good luck to you all !

If you are going to Hamilton, they only do Aptitude test Tuesdays and Thursdays from what the clerk told me! Just to let you know, they will pay for your trip.

canada94 said:
If you are going to Hamilton, they only do Aptitude test Tuesdays and Thursdays from what the clerk told me! Just to let you know, they will pay for your trip.

Nice, thanks for the info! Didn't know they pay for your trip. Seems like taking a taxi isn't looking like such a bad option now ;).

scriptox said:
Nice, thanks for the info! Didn't know they pay for your trip. Seems like taking a taxi isn't looking like such a bad option now ;).

Yeah everyone was pretty happy to see the trip was paid for :)

canada94 said:
Why did you not stick with it? I am just wondering not to sound like an ass.

Well, in the end I decided to go the NCM route. Not because I can't become an Officer but because of what I want to do.

Gunnar said:
Cross-posted (and re-posted)from the Recruiting board.  Someone complimented my on my explanation, and on further reflection, I like it too.
=========
As near as I can tell, being a civilian, the difference between Officer and NCM is roughly the same as being University or College educated. Nothing - bright people will always make their mark.

University teaches theory (the why), and expects you to extrapolate the practical (the how). College teaches you practical (the how) and expects you to do it well. To the extent that you can see the big picture, you will interpolate the theory (the why).

Both "classes" of jobs are necessary, and both require responsibility. The difference is what you personally get a bang out of doing, and what your own physical and mental abilities allow you to do.

Capt: We will make camp on *THIS* hill. (Oh, Sgt., what would be the best way to make camp on this hill?)

Sgt: We will *MAKE CAMP* on this hill. (Good choice on the hill Sir).

Focus is different, but both use their experience and intelligence to do their part. Captain needs to know the strategic reasons why they camp on the hill. Sgt needs to know how to make a camp, and why camps are made that way. Sgt probably knows the strategic reasons as well or better than the Captain, but he‘s not responsible for it. That‘s why the Captain asks his opinion. Captain may know how to make a camp just as well as the Sgt., but he‘s not responsible for *making* it, just in having it made. Further, a good commander will explain his reasons as far as he can or is allowed so that his NCM‘s can make informed decisions and suggestions, but he‘s not required to - the reasons why are HIS problem.

After reading this I decided that I want to be the guy that executes the plan not the one that makes it. I made the mistake of thinking that because I was getting straight A's in university that I should become an officer. I rather be the guy who builds the house not the person who designs it.

Another thing that swayed me was my interest to become a medical technician. I was told that if I applied for officer I would not be able to apply for it.

Before I handed in an application I had to decide what position I would be best at; Officer or NCM. So I finally decided after talking to some people I am going to wait for April 2012 for Medic, Combat Engineer and Infantry soldier. I think this is the best decision for me and I would be happy to accept any of those choices.

Can I become an officer? Yes.
Do I want to become one? No.

I think I would be happier as a NCM then an Officer.
It's better now that I know what I am going towards because I have 6 months to make my application more competitive.
Took me a while but I finally came to a decision.

I wish you guys the best of luck and hopefully everyone gets in and doesn't get stuck in something they are unhappy with.
If it's something you want to do never give up you'll eventually get it.

Over the weekend I got hacked pretty badly in Detroit during a Hockey game. Chipped a bone in my elbow and I was told it won't heal for about 2-3 weeks from a doctor back in Canada.

I am going to stick with the Interview but I will have to cancel and reschedule my Medical :(, as I doubt I can do the Medical injured.

Tough luck canada94, good news is that its for ROTP, so you have lots of time. (rather than for a trade that could close)  Have you done the blood/urine test and eye exam yet? I had to do mine in the civy world, same for you?

heal up and keep at it.

canada94 said:
Over the weekend I got hacked pretty badly in Detroit during a Hockey game. Chipped a bone in my elbow and I was told it won't heal for about 2-3 weeks from a doctor back in Canada.

I am going to stick with the Interview but I will have to cancel and reschedule my Medical :(, as I doubt I can do the Medical injured.

Same thing happened to me last April. Except I broke my ankle completely and I was out for 3 months. Make sure to ask them about doctor and physiotherapy notes so as soon as it's healed you'll be ready to go. 2-3 weeks doesn't sound bad at all.

That must of been a pretty hard slash. Whenever I get slashed my team goes crazy because I'm the goalie.    ;D

LOLslamball said:
Tough luck canada94, good news is that its for ROTP, so you have lots of time. (rather than for a trade that could close)  Have you done the blood/urine test and eye exam yet? I had to do mine in the civy world, same for you?

heal up and keep at it.

I have not done the Medical yet which is kinda crappy :( and thanks man! I hope I get through it quick.

Mkenzie said:
Same thing happened to me last April. Except I broke my ankle completely and I was out for 3 months. Make sure to ask them about doctor and physiotherapy notes so as soon as it's healed you'll be ready to go. 2-3 weeks doesn't sound bad at all.

That must of been a pretty hard slash. Whenever I get slashed my team goes crazy because I'm the goalie.    ;D

You lucky you! Being a goalie.

Update, I went again to emergency today as my arm/ elbow area was KILLING me. Turns out I probably have a fracture which could be 6-8 weeks :(. Very close to the deadline I was given some strong medication (which I had already been given some originally) so I had to put my Interview as well on hold. Yes the hack was HUGE. I still have the notes thanks for the help man!

canada94 said:
I have not done the Medical yet which is kinda crappy :( and thanks man! I hope I get through it quick.

You lucky you! Being a goalie.

Update, I went again to emergency today as my arm/ elbow area was KILLING me. Turns out I probably have a fracture which could be 6-8 weeks :(. Very close to the deadline I was given some strong medication (which I had already been given some originally) so I had to put my Interview as well on hold. Yes the hack was HUGE. I still have the notes thanks for the help man!

Damn that sucks. As slamball said, since it's ROTP you are still in the clear regardless if it is 6 to 8 weeks. Hope you get better soon man.

scriptox said:
Damn that sucks. As slamball said, since it's ROTP you are still in the clear regardless if it is 6 to 8 weeks. Hope you get better soon man.

Thanks my friend,  knowing all of you get in quick and painless will help me heal quick hehe.

Good luck guys, and I'll let you know when I am back in the game.

canada94 said:

That sucks. When I was in that situation they didn't let me continue with my medical until after my physiotherapy was complete. I thought I would be able to do the medical and interview right after I got my cast off and before my trades closed but I was 3 weeks too late because of physiotherapy.

I hope it works out for you and you meet the deadline.

They like when you have the Orthopedic notes and the physiotherapy notes all ready to go.  ;D makes it move a lot smoother.

Looks pretty close. Good luck!

Mkenzie said:
That sucks. When I was in that situation they didn't let me continue with my medical until after my physiotherapy was complete. I thought I would be able to do the medical and interview right after I got my cast off and before my trades closed but I was 3 weeks too late because of physiotherapy.

I hope it works out for you and you meet the deadline.

They like when you have the Orthopedic notes and the physiotherapy notes all ready to go.  ;D makes it move a lot smoother.

Looks pretty close. Good luck!

Noted I will be having a copy of everything. I seriously hope I don't need phsiotherapy. Last time my elbow got hurt (this is sadly, not the first time) I did not need it.

Thanks for the guidance and help everyone, good luck guys!

canada94 said:
I have not done the Medical yet which is kinda crappy :(

I did read that in your original post, which I am a bit surprised about because my reading has been spotty at best lately haha (I just completely missed a lacrosse game because I read the text message wrong, but I was working that night anyways luckily)

They gave me the forms to go do the eye exam and blood/urine test the day of my cfat (a week before my medical) so that's why I was wondering.

canada94 said:
Thanks my friend,  knowing all of you get in quick and painless will help me heal quick hehe.
I was going through so fast, now I am waiting for a call for my interview, but it just gives me more time to prepare and not have it be in the middle of midterms.
and not that I am complaining at all, I know its still been extremely fast compared to the waits others endure

anyways good luck again with the recovery and keep us updated.

Just curious, you receive forms for an eye exam and blood test before your medical correct? Is there still a vision test at your medical then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back