• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It says RMC , not a civilian University tho :S

PART 11 – Reasons for Attending RMCC
Please answer the following question in the space provided.
Please explain your reason/s for wanting to attend the Royal Military College of Canada?

I typed ROTP Academic Questionnaire into Google, hit the search button, then entered the first link, bringing up the application. When I scrolled down to the essay, the question was the same as I wrote earlier. That is also the identical form I received from the recruiting centre. Either way, there's nothing about ROTP, and you're essentially answering the same question, unless you wanted to go to civvie U, then you should download the form from Google.

Hope that helped a little!

Hi

I'm just wondering what degrees the canadian forces want you to take if you are doing ROTP? I really want to be an infantry officer or infantry soldier (if i dont do ROTP)  but I've promised my parents I would also go to university. The only university courses that interest me is kinesiology but RMC doesn't offer it. I'm just wondering if the forces would allow me to go to a civvy university such as the university of calgary if I take kinesiology there or if I will have to join reserves in Calgary and hope for reimbursement.

So to sum it up is it possible to take kinesiology, while getting my education paid for, and becoming an Infantry officer
or
will i need to become a reserve in Calgary and just get reimbursement

Unless degree requirements have changed and I missed it, Infantry Officers (as well as several other trades) are permitted to pursue any degree.  That being said, when you apply to ROTP, it is possible that you will receive an offer of enrollment which stipulates that you must attend RMC.  If that is the case, then you will have to either decline the offer, or study something that RMC does offer.

It is possible that you receive an offer to study under the ROTP at a civilian university, in which case kinesiology would be okay.

yah thats what I was hoping would be the case but I talked to a recruiter and she said that it would be considered a waste of money in the Canadian Forces eyes so I'm hoping she is wrong because I do really want to be a Infantry Officer but take Kinesiology

just talked to another recruiter and he said that kinesiology would work! guess I should just apply and see what happens!

I'm not a Recruiter, and anyone who's been on the site for more than 20 minutes knows that I don't remotely have the patience to be a Recruiter.

I am, however, Infantry.  I believe that a degree in kinesiology is MUCH more useful than some of the basket-weaving degrees and academic programs out there.  To my mind, it makes worlds more sense to have an officer knowledgeable about strength & conditioning, sport psychology, exercise mechanics, etc, than one able to wax eloquently on lesbian womens' studies or Marxist labour history.

Best of luck to you.

j_pow said:
yah thats what I was hoping would be the case but I talked to a recruiter and she said that it would be considered a waste of money in the Canadian Forces eyes so I'm hoping she is wrong because I do really want to be a Infantry Officer but take Kinesiology

Maybe that Recruiter might want to call this guy ----->  http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dsa-dns/sa-ns/ab/sobv-vbos-eng.asp?mAction=View&mBiographyID=304

and tell him that a Degree in Kinesiology is a "waste of money in the CF's eyes".  I am sure he would really love to hear that one!!!

Its not that a degree in kinesiology is a waste of money, but that it is much more cost effective to send someone to RMC instead of a civilian university. That is what I have heard from many people, including recruiters.

SIROEW said:
Its not that a degree in kinesiology is a waste of money, but that it is much more cost effective to send someone to RMC instead of a civilian university. That is what I have heard from many people, including recruiters.

Cost Effective?  You need to rethink that one?  Factoring in the infrastructure costs, wages for staff and the fact that students receive a salary on top of that are just a few fiscal issues.  I believe thee benefits are that the education is "delivered" within a structured military environment that the potential graduate will be subject to upon completion/graduatioon.

DAA said:
Students receive a salary.

Students enrolled in ROTP will receive a salary no matter what. Whether they attend RMC or a civilian institution will have no bearing on if they get paid or not. And like I said, the information I provided was from a recruiter, so its not like I just pulled it out of nowhere.

I believe there is a thread about this, "the utility of a military college" or something. There's a lot of info in there, including concrete numbers, that would probably end this debate, but I believe the whole premise was "is it the extra cost of RMC worth it for the product we are getting."

Really appreciate all the posts! I'm getting questions I wanted answered I didn't even ask! From my understanding (just from research and recruiters) is they want students to go to RMC not really because of costs but because you will be in a military environment in hopes of you staying in the military. I talked to the same recruiter that said it was a waste of money and she took back what she said saying "canadian forces would rather you stay past your 4 years service so when becoming an infantry officer we would rather you take military studies" now I know this is pretty obvious but I thought I would share!

jwtg said:
Unless degree requirements have changed and I missed it, Infantry Officers (as well as several other trades) are permitted to pursue any degree.

Hi there, what are some of the other trades?

DAA said:
Cost Effective?  You need to rethink that one? 

Well it is more cost effective to fill RMC before other avenues in the sense that a great deal of RMC costs are sunk costs.  They are borne regardless of the number of students so it makes sense to maximize the number of students that are there.

Ross1 said:
Hi there, what are some of the other trades?

At the time of my enrollment, the trades that I was aware of (and can recall right now) were: Pilot, ACSO, AEC, Infantry, Armoured, Artillery, MARS, and LOG.

I have heard rumors since then of trades having their degree requirements changed.  My trade wasn't affected so I didn't pay much attention; however, I believe that ACSO, AEC, Infantry, Armoured, Artillery and MARS still accept any degree, while logistics may have changed their degree requirements.  I have no idea what the status is for pilots.

This is a starting point, but recruiting centers would have access to up-to-date and accurate lists of trades/degree requirements.

SIROEW said:
If you were to get accepted to ROTP and attend RMC, you attend a two week recruit camp at CFLRS St-Jean, Quebec, in early to mid August. When you return to RMC, you will take part in the first year orientation program (FYOP) for about a month, culminating with the obstacle course, then the presentation of college cap badges.

You will not actually complete BMOQ until the summer after your first year of university (for both RMC and civvie. U students).

Hope this helped!

Thank you very much, I was wondering about that. MPs inbound.
Getting very excited myself! I do hope I get to go to RMC :D
Hope to see all of you in Kingston soon!

I just went in for my interview about a week ago and while I was there I began talking to the Sgt. running the front desk, one of the things that he mentioned is that for the upcoming academic year, unless your program is not offered at RMC, if you are accepted into the ROTP you will be attending RMC. Therefore I would suggest writing the essay on why you want to attend RMC as you will very likley be going there if accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back