• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regimental Summits

And here I thought this was going to be a thread about the meetings of those geriatric old farts that think they still run the Regiment(s) and try to tell sitting CO's & RSM's what they can and can't do ;D

recceguy said:
And here I thought this was going to be a thread about the meetings of those geriatric old farts that think they still run the Regiment(s) and try to tell sitting CO's & RSM's what they can and can't do ;D

Well, it was a frigid, blustery, lofty and hypoxic environment... so you're not far off the mark.

recceguy said:

That NEVER happens! :)

Mt Columbia, highest point in Alberta, 1400hrs July 26th 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Columbia_(Canada)

"Look, no VLTs or cigarette smoke!"

(Mc) Crowsnest Mountain 9,137ft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowsnest_Mountain

There's a self-guided team of three plucky NCMs - Carveth, Woods and Hunt - from the CScotR tackling Denali/ McKinley (20,194ft/ 6194m) right now on a self-guided/ financed expedition.

As you may know, Denali is the highest mountain in North America, in Alaska (Alaskan Range), and is one of the Seven Summits - the most technically difficult of 'the Seven' next to Everest. Denali - Wikipedia

This expedition is the culmination of several years of completing relevant snow and ice training, and progressively more difficult climbs such as Mt Baker and Mt Rainier. I'm not sure, but it might be a 'first' as an attempt by a team of Reservists.

Their mission is to fly the Regimental flag from the summit, as well as returning safely of course.

They've been on the mountain for a few days now and are presently at 11,000 ft, planning going to 14,000 ft shortly. The weather, as predicted, is awful with Gale force winds and sub -20C temperatures. Mount McKinley Weather Forecast (6194m)

Updates below via FB FYI.

Deas gu Cath!

1717776847514.png

1717776657365.png

1717776686903.png

Latest update...

"The lads are in great spirits at 14000ft . They descended 700ft to retrive their cache uphill of Windy Corner this afternoon. Erik says they have "tons of food and fuel' which they have managed to payload up to 14k. This is great as they can sit out any bad weather without running low on supplies. They will be carefully assessing the weather window required and the strategy they will use to get up the fixed lines to "16 Ridge". Erik says "C Scot will complete it's mission". I know he will make solid and prudent decisions and will be looking after all aspects of this Great Expedition. He thanks all of us for The Support The Team is feeling.

Climb On Lads.

My DENALI briefing to CSR Association at NMC last night was very well received.

DGC"

A tour of the camp... from another team:

Windchill's taking the temps into the -40C range...

That’s awesome work! I hope these troops are recognized for their initiative and for the regimental and patrolling spirit they’re exemplifying.

Agreed.... just surviving up there is a feat of its own.

Some haven't been so lucky this year:

They're movin' on up.... going for the highest camp in prep for a summit attempt it seems.

Looks like the best weather window they've had in the last couple of weeks:

"I didn’t get an INRCH message to say The Team was stepping off from 14 Camp but the GARMIN INRCH “breadcrumb track” indicates The Team is proceeding up the Fixed Lines between 14 Camp and 16 Ridge enroute to High Camp at 17200ft. For those not familiar with High Altitude Mountaineeting, this is an INCREDIBLE feat of fortitude, resilience and mental and physical toughness on a Mountain that is as formidible as EVEREST due to extreme temperatures and climbing conditions. I’d like to urge everyone on this Page to really get behind Our Lads and This Summit Team with at least a like on their effort or a quick comment.
Sgt’s Carveth, Hunt and Woods deserve our support in every way possible.
I will update here ASAP as soon as I get Erik’s next INRCH contact.
DGC"

1718318430090.png

"The GPS INRCH position data indicated The Team Summited at 2200hrs our time and are on their descent back to High Camp. The temps are sub zero so perhaps the buttons on the INRCH were hard to manipulate! I can’t wait to hear from them at 17K.
It’s been a long, cold and tough day.
DGC"

1718463697643.png

"The GARMIN INRCH data shows The Summit Team back at High Camp (C6) 5243m (17200ft) after a long and exhausting ascent and descent. The Round trip was 14h35m after very little rest at 17 and a very heavy day on Thursday. I suspect the next move is Rest, Rehydrate, Replenish and then start down the 16 Ridge to 14 camp at some point tomorrow. The clear weather appears to be holding until Sunday night when there will be snow showers. I hope to get an INRCH message when I wake up.
Amazing Accomplishment, Safe Descent Lads
I sent a message that will be recieved of the massive support from everybody. I have asked Erik the Team’s condition and hope to hear they are all GTG in a few hours.
DGC"

"At 2224, 14 Jun, 2024, The CSR Summit Team of Sgt’s Erik Carveth, Jesse Hunt and Jesse Woods reached the Summit of North America and checked off one of the Mighty 7 Summits (The Highest Mountains on Each Continent)
Hugh Respect for your Determination, Resilience and Fitness.
INRCH message sent out by Sgt Jesse Hunt (Team Medic) using his Dad’s INRCH he borrowed.
INRCH Data from Expedition Leader Sgt Erik Carveth show a rapid descent through the Football Field(19.5k)
Once safe at HIGH CAMP 17.2k. I will update here.
Total Respect and Outstanding Effort.
Let’s get back safe Lads!
✅

DGC"

Well Done!!

Now Mr Cynic in me is wondering who amongst those that were not involved in the slightest are going to take the all the credit for it happening...having had that happen to me in the past for stuff.

Very nice. Decent weather.

It's been the only good weather window for weeks. One of the guiding companies, Alpine Ascents, put 4 teams on top at around the same time I think.

Which is one of the things that makes Denali such a tough objective. Mother Nature will decide if you can climb it , or not, alot of the time ;)

Back