• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruitment Allowances for Understrength Military Occupations Aug 2008

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
CANFORGEN 146/08 CMP 059/08 061550Z AUG 08
RECRUITMENT ALLOWANCES FOR UNDERSTRENGTH MILITARY OCCUPATIONS
UNCLASSIFIED
REFS: A. CANFORGEN 164/06 CMP 079 031116Z NOV 06
B. CBI 205.525
C. TB DECISION NO 832770, 22 JUN 06
D. CDS LETTER DATED 28 JUL 08

THIS CANFORGEN SUPERCEDES REF A AND CONTAINS THE REVISED LIST OF OCCUPATIONS FOR WHICH RECRUITMENT ALLOWANCES MAY BE PROVIDED TO ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS ENTERING THE REGULAR FORCE.

THE ALLOWANCES AND CONDITIONS OF ENTITLEMENT ARE AS SET OUT IN REF B, WHICH IS AMENDED PURSUANT TO REF C

THE CURRENT UNDERSTRENGTH MILITARY OCCUPATION LIST (REF D), EFFECTIVE 1 AUGUST 08, INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING OCCUPATIONS:

NE TECH (A) 00116
NE TECH (C) 00117
NE TECH (T) 00118
SIG OP 00329
MRAD TECH 00153
BE TECH 00155
INT OP 00099
SONAR OP 00324
VEH TECH 00129
MLAB 00152
LCIS TECH 00110
AC OP 00337
ATIS TECH 00109
AVN TECH 00135
EGS TECH 00303
NAV COMM 00299
NES OP 00115
NW TECH 00017
DENT TECH 00335
MED TECH 00334
MED 00196
PHARM 00194

NOTE THAT MERE POSSESSION OF A CERTAIN TRADE OR ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT AN APPLICANT MEETS CF REQUIREMENTS. EACH APPLICANT FILE WILL BE REVIEWED TO DETERMINE CURRENCY OF THE PERTINENT SKILLS OR ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCY.

* For those of you entering the Recruiting Process, the BEST place for you to address questions for whether you qualify for these recruitment allowances is the CFRC.

like the way you highlight the word may.

Now why is RMS Clk not on that list - we have been understrength since day one and it sure would be nice to get more in to take some of the work load.  :)

CountDC said:
like the way you highlight the word may.

Unfortunately many will not see that and their eyes will translate it into "will" or "shall".  :D

Now why is RMS Clk not on that list - we have been understrength since day one and it sure would be nice to get more in to take some of the work load.  :)

Its probably someone in your Career Mangler's shops idea of "job protection"  ;D

It would be nice to see "retention" allowances, that might stop the bleeding.

Euro, Why do that when a qual'd person can release, re sign and then get 10-20 grand.  ::)

Good old CF.

popnfresh said:
Euro, Why do that when a qual'd person can release, re sign and then get 10-20 grand.  ::)

Good old CF.

True but that does create some issues for them.  There is no quaruntee they will get back in, they then have broken service, etc.

However, from a taxpayers point of view, part of me says that its less expensive to re-sign that Cpl who is a Widget Tech and give him/her $10-20k than it is to recruit and then train someone off the street (sometimes 2 years in the trng system) to then have an Apprentice level tech/operator without the experience the re-signed mbr would have. 

the question of retention allowance came up a few years back at a briefing held in Halifax.  Can't remember who was there but it was some chiefs and at least one high rank officer.  The answer as I saw it boiled down to we pay you $50k a year for 20 years why should we pay you more to stay in?

popnfresh said:

Good old CF.

I believe that the last time this was done a former member would have had to been out of the service for a min of 2 years before the allowance could be applied.

I see AVN-TECH but not AVS, why? I mean its probably as simple an answer as "they have enough recruits already" but is there really that much of a gap between the two trades?

Strange.  There's always talk of not having enough MARS officers to go around but they're never on the "understrength" scale...

pfl said:
I see AVN-TECH but not AVS, why? I mean its probably as simple an answer as "they have enough recruits already" but is there really that much of a gap between the two trades?

Recruiting Allowances are driven by Health of trades.  2 key terms used in this are PML (Preferred Manning Level) and TES (Trained Effective Strength) numbers.  PML represents how many mbrs the CF says its needs in a trade, TES is the actual number of people in the trade that have reached what is called the OFP (Occupation Function Point), the point of training in a trade/MOC that the mbr is considered trained and employable, and it varies for each trade and for Officer and NCM trades.

Health of trades is defined as Green (less than 5% below PML and up) Amber (10% - 5% below PML) and Red (greater than 10% below PML).  

The DMCARM ISS Occupation Status Matrix for this FY lists AVN as a Red trade, and I would have to verify but I believe AVS is Green, perhaps Amber.

Dimsum said:
Strange.  There's always talk of not having enough MARS officers to go around but they're never on the "understrength" scale...

I wonder what the PML and TES #s are like for MARS...I did notice, when I first read this CAONFORGEN that only Med and Pharm occupations are listed for Officers.  Pure speculation but maybe they reached other "quotas" in the CEOTP, UTPNCM and CFR programs?

I almost choked on my food when I saw this message.

I re-enrolled in 2007.  Was a NESOP before, QL5 qualified.  I rejoined as a NESOP again thinking it would accelerate some parts along the way.  God was I wrong.  Had to do my QL3 again, NETP and next would be QL4 in March.  Only got 56 days credit.  Asked for a formal review from CFRG, denied because I add 10 years between service.

Good thing is as an AB I got an awesome PDR saying I was doing the job of a senior LS...lol.

Mind you, it's all good.  Still loves the job and the friends.

I can't see how any civilian experience would apply to trades like NESOP or NCIOP.  You have to be out for 2 years before you can get this allowance, but after 3 you loose your military quals...maybe they have other ways to see it.

CountDC said:
The answer as I saw it boiled down to we pay you $50k a year for 20 years why should we pay you more to stay in?

Perhaps because people with 20+ years of experience in a skilled trade generally make more than $50k per year?  (In some cases, a lot more).

Until the brass realizes that, the bleeding will continue.

I didnt see this question posted - is the number afterwards refering to the number of open positions?

I think it's the new MOSID system as opposed to the old MOC or whatever e.g. 031 went to 00010

think it's the new MOSID system as opposed to the old MOC or whatever e.g. 031 went to 00010

It is the new MOSID. Check out the following topic:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/987.0.html

I just noticed that ATIS Tech is listed as an understrength MOC, but I know the DMCARM Occ Status lists ATIS as a green trade.  If I think of it tomorrow, I'll get all the trade health info from the ISS site and listed them alongside the indicated MOCs.

I am not sure how many MARS officers make it past their QL4 and on, but I don't think CF has as big a problem recruiting MARS officers as some other trade.  Last NOAB, as far as I know 19 got the offer for MARS.  Getting through the training system probably is more of a hurdle than recruiting for MARS, although the number of recruits is most likely still lower than what CF would like to see.   

WaitingTime said:
I am not sure how many MARS officers make it past their QL4 and on, but I don't think CF has as big a problem recruiting MARS officers as some other trade.  Last NOAB, as far as I know 19 got the offer for MARS.  Getting through the training system probably is more of a hurdle than recruiting for MARS, although the number of recruits is most likely still lower than what CF would like to see.   

I don't believe MARS have a "QL4" per se, someone will name the correct term for you though.

Back