• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting into CISI

Redhotpengy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys! New to the forum,

I'm pretty much 16 years old (a couple months until my birthday) and I've been considering a few careers. I have one particular that I want to do, but I like to keep an open mind.

I've been pretty interested in the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. I know they're Canada's main centre of handling intelligence. And I know many of you are going to just say that I'm interesting in this job because I want to become a "spy".

Let me just say that's not true. I'm interested in the job because of the lifestyle. I find foreign affairs, politics, and international cultures interesting. I also like the dealing of secret information, and dealing with bad people. It sounds exciting, and somewhat dangerous.

Anyways, I guess my main questions are what could I start doing to prepare myself for a job there? In terms of high school courses? Do I need to take French?

I'd also like to know the physical aspects of training they do. Do they teach you any physical training (Fighting, firing weapons, etc)?

Sorry for my ignorance, I'd just really like input from someone who knows more. Thank you!  ;D

Redhotpengy said:
I know they're Canada's main centre of handling intelligence.

They are an agency responsible for certain kinds of intelligence. Other agencies have responsibility for other areas of intelligence that have zero involvement by CSIS.

Redhotpengy said:
And I know many of you are going to just say that I'm interesting in this job because I want to become a "spy". yep

Let me just say that's not true. uh huh

I'm interested in the job because of the lifestyle. Oh, well then

I find foreign affairs, politics, and international cultures interesting.  uh huh

I also like the dealing of secret information, and dealing with bad people. It sounds exciting, and somewhat dangerous.

Anyways, I guess my main questions are what could I start doing to prepare myself for a job there? In terms of high school courses? Do I need to take French?

I'd also like to know the physical aspects of training they do. Do they teach you any physical training (Fighting, firing weapons, etc)? Oh, the JTF2ninjasniper stuff?

:)

What sort of intelligence does CSIS deal with? Foreign intelligence or federal intelligence?

Redhotpengy said:
What sort of intelligence does CSIS deal with? Foreign intelligence or federal intelligence?

Go read their website.

There's a whole wack of information on the site that should suit your basic needs, but you might also might be interested in  Student Employment

Redhotpengy said:
Thanks for that!

CSIS aren't James Bond type spies. You will need a university degree, and ideally facility in French. If you don't speak it on being hired by the Service you will be sent immediately for French training, during your probationary period. If you can't learn it, you're gone.

You've got a long time to go before being able to employed as an IO, but you'll want to start studying what they do. Your first 1-on-1 interview will grill you on what the Service does, in great detail.

Thanks for the information, and I'm aware of that. As long as they can send me to be trained in French, because I'm not taking it in High School so far. At this point, I'm just considering it. I don't think I'll do it, but it will be my 2nd choice down from the main thing I want to do.

CSIS moved away from the blanket University-only to accepting different college degrees.

For example some security positions require "any security related" college degree while others "any college degree".
So one can rock out a general arts and science and be a potential candidate.

Different jobs at CSIS open and close all the time.  Depending on what field you are interested in you should look at taking college or university courses in the same field and when you graduate and get your diploma apply to CSIS depending on what's open.

While you are at school you should join the reserves to give you a sense of discipline and self control.  There are also courses in the reserves that could help you out later down the road. Communication courses. Driving courses. First aid courses. Leadership courses. You will also become familiar with a bunch of cool guns and the training how to use them.

Universities grant degrees.
Colleges grant diplomas.

That said, when did they change that?  I've been summarily dismissing any job postings for CSIS without even looking at them because they've wanted degrees in the past. 

Redhotpengy,

As long as you know this is a military web site and not a CSIS one, we'll let your thread run. Your in the wrong place.

Most, if not all, the answers you'll get here are the same as that you'll get from their site or anywhere else on the internet.

There are likely very few members, if any, that have had enough personal experience with CSIS to answer with any authority. There might be some. What they can answer may be something else again.

Don't be disappoint and dismissive because you're not getting the answers you want. CSIS is not our forte.

Milnet.ca Staff

I was speaking to someone in their HR this fall.  They relaxed the criteria not too long ago. Take a look at the website, few of the jobs only require college. Some of them are "any college diploma".

Protective Security Officer
Undergraduate degree or a two (2) year college diploma in a security field.

Survailiant (not sure how it's spelt) required any college diploma as far as I remember.

Interesting, thanks for the info.  Will have to start giving them a look.

Grimaldus said:
Protective Security Officer
Undergraduate degree or a two (2) year college diploma in a security field.

Survailiant (not sure how it's spelt) required any college diploma as far as I remember.

It is also worth pointing out the the Protective Security Officer makes $44,000 to $54,000 a year (a Pte - IPC 3 makes more then this to start and a Cpl - IPC 4 makes more then this entire range) and a Surveillant is making $56,000 to $68,000 a year (a Cpl - IPC 4 makes more then this to start for reference). 

Not sure if their benefits package is better or worse then the CF however.

Something to think about.

MC

Colleges do grant degrees now in certain fields take a look at conestoga for example.
http://www.conestogac.on.ca/degrees/index.jsp

Back