• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

LMAO~!  :rofl:

Who would have thought that a Food thread would bring out more anger and name-calling than the (if I may) QUOTE Hammerheads UNQUOTE in the Politics threads?!    ;D

For what it's worth, I'll be smoking pork back ribs (charcoal smoker, using a mix of hickory and mesquite wood chips); not telling what's in either the dry rub or the injected marinade, but I'm sure after a few hours of the savory ambrosia wafting next door, the vegans will have a change of heart!

One rack of the smoker will also be for an assortment of hot chili peppers out of the garden;  there will be some new hot sauces in the offing too.  :nod:

Journeyman said:

Who would have thought that a Food thread would bring out more anger and name-calling than the (if I may) QUOTE Hammerheads UNQUOTE in the Politics threads?!    ;D

For what it's worth, I'll be smoking pork back ribs (charcoal smoker, using a mix of hickory and mesquite wood chips); not telling what's in either the dry rub or the injected marinade, but I'm sure after a few hours of the savory ambrosia wafting next door, the vegans will have a change of heart!

One rack of the smoker will also be for an assortment of hot chili peppers out of the garden;  there will be some new hot sauces in the offing too.  :nod:

I assume your hot smoking everything? how long are you smoking for?

MilEME09 said:
I assume your hot smoking everything? how long are you smoking for?
I got the ribs from my favourite butcher, who had some real thick, meaty ones, so with the smoker around 230oF (it's a US-made smoker), they'll be on for about 5 hours. 

The chilis will only be on for about an hour/75 minutes or so, but then we also have a metric shit-load of tomatoes this season, so I'll likely smoke a bunch of those to throw in a blender, then be frozen.  They can be used in a great smoked marinara sauce (especially amazing lasagna).... which is also the basis of a "Smoked Cream of Tomato soup" recipe I stumbled across;  we'll see how that plays out once fall soup season returns.

:cheers:

Journeyman said:

;D

smoked tomatoes sounds awesome!

The smokey tomatoes turned out great;  they've already been tried in a couple of recipes and they add a delicious flavour.

Today, the smoked scotch bonnet peppers....plus black garlic, red onion, kosher salt, and a blend of Middle Eastern za'atar & Moroccan Harissa spices... are becoming a batch of North African hot sauces.

Previously when the hot chilies were on the stove being sautéed in vinegar, I had a cat who was on suicide watch because it produces chemical weapons' grade eye burning.  I currently live in a zoo with 4 assorted cats & dogs.....who, despite doors/windows being open and fans on, now all hate me.  ;D

I've been working on perfecting a couple of varieties of barbecue sauces and marinades. So far, the best one of the batch is as follows. Proportions are fuzzy, since I'm constantly adjusting them. This was one I came up with a few days ago.

Sun Tzu's Barbeque Sauce

All Warfare is based on Deception.

1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup Ketchup
2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Salt
1 clove garlic
1 pinch each, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano
1 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
1 tbsp chili powder
4 drops Tabasco sauce
2 cups water

Starting with water, add ingredients to sauce pan, and bring to boil, gradually reducing until the consistency nears that of maple syrup. Use as desired. Works best on beef ribs.

Note: I pranked my twin brother with this sauce, switching it in at the last minute. He doesn't like spicy food, normally. He's the one that named it.

Got friends coming over, so today's another smoker day.  :nod:

Roast beef, with the Guinness-horseradish glaze from the current LCBO Food & Drink  magazine.

1 cup Guinness
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp horseradish
1 tsp finely minced thyme

I'll infuse the beef beforehand by injecting some stout and herbs.  Then for the glaze, supporting my local craft brewery,  I'll use their English stout in lieu of the St James Gate, Dublin version.  When tasting, I suspect that the sugar, garlic, and horseradish may all be increased.  I'm thinking cherry wood chips for the smoke.

Should be a good feed on a bland, grey day.    :cheers:

For those of us who are baking challenged (or just too busy entertaining to bake one properly) Superstore's President's Choice brands offers a darn fine Yorkshire Pudding for that Roast.

20025468_front_a06.png

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/Food/Frozen/Bakery-%26-Fruit/Bread-%26-Baked/Genuine-Yorkshire-Pudding/p/20025468_EA

:subbies:

FJAG said:
For those of us who are baking challenged (or just too busy entertaining to bake one properly) Superstore's President's Choice brands offers a darn fine Yorkshire Pudding for that Roast.

20025468_front_a06.png

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/Food/Frozen/Bakery-%26-Fruit/Bread-%26-Baked/Genuine-Yorkshire-Pudding/p/20025468_EA

Roasts must have Yorkshire puddings and horse radish... but I think my Mom, my grandmother from her grave and my wife would kick me out of the family if I used these hahaha

Soooo... thanks, I'll be buying some Haha, really neat, never thought they would be sold like this in stores. How do they taste compared to fresh? Oily? Or just right?

AbdullahD said:
Roasts must have Yorkshire puddings and horse radish... but I think my Mom, my grandmother from her grave and my wife would kick me out of the family if I used these hahaha

Soooo... thanks, I'll be buying some Haha, really neat, never thought they would be sold like this in stores. How do they taste compared to fresh? Oily? Or just right?

I was quite surprised the first time we tried them. They're really quite good and easily rivaled any of the made-from scratch ones I've had at the Keg, for example (assuming the Keg makes their's from scratch). It also helps if you make a really good roast and scratch gravy to have them with.

Pretty sure the plan for our Christmas Dinner around here is to replicate my grandparent's recipes as closely as possible, even though they never wrote them down. So I'm going to have to hunt down an obscure salad dressing to use as part of the glaze on the ham..

FJAG said:
…. a darn fine Yorkshire Pudding for that Roast.
Damn;  seen too late.  I'll definitely give them a try, since I've never gotten into baking.

FJAG said:
...Superstore's President's Choice brands offers a darn fine Yorkshire Pudding
I picked up a package for last night's leftover roast beef & gravy.  Excellent suggestion.  :cheers:

Scrambled eggs are iconic.I like to add bacon and a little milk for a creamy texture. I know some add soy sauce for flavor and a way to add salt. I have heard where sour cream is mixed in for creaminess,but that's not my taste. My mom liked to top her eggs with catchup,again I don't like the stuff all that much.

Nope. The scrambled egg hack I learned (for others, I can't stand eggs as a breakfast dish) is to whisk in a can of beer - cheap ale type.

You are all welcome. :subbies:

I read online a deviled egg recipe using sake. :D

https://atlbusinessjournal.com/drunken-deviled-eggs-are-the-best-deviled-eggs-youll-ever-eat/

The best scrambled eggs that I have ever eaten (and I kid you not) were from a haybox in the hut at Granville during basic way back in the 1970s.  They were soft, fluffy, creamy and still the standard by which I measure (over four decades later) all other scrambled eggs.  There have been a few occasions when I found some close to that perfection (sometimes a restaurant, a couple of times in my own kitchen and once when a chance encounter resulted in her making me breakfast the morning after), but I was never able to find another CF cook who could replicate the feat.

Nowadays, I content myself with my own recipe that relies heavily on good quality butter in the pan as well as in the beaten eggs with the addition of Frank's RedHot Sauce.

Watch Gordon Ramsay's video on YouTube on how to make scrambled eggs.

Short version: you've been doing it wrong all along.

dapaterson said:
Watch Gordon Ramsay's video on YouTube on how to make scrambled eggs.

Short version: you've been doing it wrong all along.

I started using his method a few years ago and swear by it. Worst thing is overcooked scrambled eggs (ie the standard method most folks use)

Back