• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Realistic expectations

NoCashBob

Inactive
Reaction score
In two days time I'll be in Sudbury  for my fitness/medical/CFAT/interview. The trade I applied for is Armoured, but Infantry is also a trade that interests me. I'm looking for the challenge, the 'boonie' stuff is a big deal for me, and it seems the most adventurous of all the trades.

What I need to know is how realistic my expectations of actually being able to pull the load are. I am one of those guys who is not very tall (5'6") and is quite lightweight. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite strong, and have great endurance. The problem I run into is posts that talk of 65-120lb *rucksacks*.

I have  a friend in the services who forwarded me a BFT kit list including weights, and as it turns out, the 65lb weight for the BFT is distributed throughout all gear, the ruck and valise are roughly 28-35lbs. out of that 65. OK. This I can do, without an unusual amount of trouble, but I know for a fact that unless the CF hands out steroids, 80+lbs for just a ruck + valise is an impossibility for me. , my weight and frame simply exclude me from doing that.

I am a driven person, and will give 115% full-time, but I'm looking for how realistic are my hopes of making it into the Infantry are. I will be talking to the recruiter about it, but I would like to prepare more.

On a side-note, as Armoured is in demand, what my recruiter seems to be pushing, and a trade that excites me, if I *DO* decide I want to go infatry, I'd likely put in for it during BMQ, is this a realistic option?

Before you sign the contract an join, fully decide/commit to a trade.

As for the PT, just be in as best shape as you can. But physical strength isn't everything, theres also a mental part to it.

I've seen females with similar height and weight take that kind of weight without complaint.  It is possible.

If you tell yourself it is impossible, than you won't be able to do it.

Infantry is "FULL".  It will likely still be "Full" when you are on BMQ.  It is also relatively rare for people to change Trades on BMQ, except under extenuating circumstances.

NoCashBob is going Reserve. RegF don't do PT at the CFRC. So it will be up to the local Reserve unit whether they have any room. Some units do some don't. The local CFRC should have a good idea. Usually there is a recruiter from the local brigade.

No, I'm going Fulltime. The recruiter said something along the lines of 'we'll get you to do some pushups or something to gauge your fitness'. That I assumed to be a fitness test. Are fulltime applicants not physically tested anymore??

Don't worry, not everyone in the infantry has a tank body. There are many smaller dudes that get through their BFTs allright.

If you are going RegF then you will not have to do any PT tests until your first day of BMQ. However you will have to get at least past the threshold test to stay. If not they will fly you home on day 2. The only ones that do PT in the Recruiting Centre are PRes. I guess this another case of the applicant getting all the info but organizing it wrong in their heads.

Again, No. I appreciate your taking the time to answer, but aside from not remembering the *exact* wording he used, I expressly remember being told I would *likely* be doing some pushups while I was there. Maybe this is informal who knows, but it was definitely said.

Don't worry about your size.  I'm 5'9 and was only about 120 when I joined the CF.  I'm up to about 145 now which is still small.  Rucking with an 80lb ruck on top of a frag vest with plates and a fully loaded tack vest isn't that hard for me or the other few small guys in my squadron.  They build you up to it on BMQ and as long as you keep your physical fitness up it's a cakewalk.

Lose the attitude that "I'm small so I can't ruck well" and you'll be fine.

RCDtpr said:

Lose the attitude that "I'm small so I can't ruck well" and you'll be fine.

Best advice you're going to get.

For what it's worth, when I first joined (and I was Infantry then) I was about 120 lbs soaking wet - I bulked up some, but never really went over around 145 lbs (except for when I went on a beer diet for a while) - and I was fine.

You won't be doing pushups in the Centre. BMQ however, that is a different story. You'll become very familier with the ground at your feet.

As for size, we have a female working here that may go 90lbs soaking wet. She is currently on deployment to Afganistan. I told a young girl in my office this morning when she was concerned about how big she was and I gave a phrase my father always told me until I shot up to over 6ft and 200lbs. (a tad more now)
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog". If you don't think you can do it then you won't. However if you  adopt the "out of my way" attitude you'll go a long way!

Good luck .

That's the style of real-world responses I was looking for, I appreciate it and the advice about losing the attitude is good. If this is the way it is, I'll slug through. Being told it like it is is a lost art that I'm happy to see survives in the right places. I'll post back tomorrow with the results.

A note though, in the infantry at least, Rucks that weigh in at 65-80 lbs are not a rare thing.

I think honestly that the MENTAL aspect is the biggest factor for the WHOLE military, not just the infantry. If you're mentally weak, it doesn't matter how physically tough you are, you're gonna give up.

and to be honest from what i've seen and heard, the majority of the infantry are not huge guys, they are usually slim/slender (140-160lbs) funny enough its the Air force i've seen who have the jacked guys haha

Side note: How in blue blazes do you guys weigh 120 as fully grown men??  do you not eat 3-4 meals a day??

So how did it go for you nocashbob?
i was wondering too, how at fully grown 5'6" do you weigh a tiny 120 must be all skin and bones.  I am 5'4" or 5" (don't remember) and weigh 170ish and i don't consider myself fat...

Back