• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCR battalions

• Thread starter pte anthony
  • Start date
DirtyDog said:
I got to Bn almost two years ago and the turret course I'm on right now is the first I've laid hands on a LAV for any real length of time.

Wait for it.

There are a few reasons we (1RCR) havn't done much mech stuff:

1) After TF 3-06 we took some down time to rest and recuperate. Then,

2) 3RCR needed them for their workup training so the LAVs all went down the road. Then,

3) When 3 deployed, we took the LAVs back and have been running back to back TOC, Driver, and Crew Commander courses so they havn't been seen much in the coy lines.

As this last round of courses wraps up we'll have our LAVs again for company level training. Later it will be Battlegroup level workup for TF 1-10, and then when we deploy the LAVs will probably go back to 3RCR again.

And that is the "Brigade Cycle" geo made reference to... well part of it anyways...

Long story short: Expect to spend time in the turret.  TARGET - FIRING NOW 8)

Wonderbread said:
Wait for it.

There are a few reasons we (1RCR) havn't done much mech stuff:

1) After TF 3-06 we took some down time to rest and recuperate. Then,

2) 3RCR needed them for their workup training so the LAVs all went down the road. Then,

3) When 3 deployed, we took the LAVs back and have been running back to back TOC, Driver, and Crew Commander courses so they havn't been seen much in the coy lines.

As this last round of courses wraps up we'll have our LAVs again for company level training. Later it will be Battlegroup level workup for TF 1-10, and then when we deploy the LAVs will probably go back to 3RCR again.

And that is the "Brigade Cycle" geo made reference to... well part of it anyways...

Long story short: Expect to spend time in the turret.  TARGET - FIRING NOW 8)
Oh yeah, I realise all that.

It's just that it's been so long and I've been so removed from them, I almost forgot it was a mech Bn I joined.  It's actually very cool realising this whole new dimension that goes along with being mechanised.

monkeyman7 said:
3 rcr is not light. They have lavs. lavs = mech

All 3rd BN of the Regular Force Infantry Unit Regiments are designated light irrespectable if they have LAVs or not.

AGuyWithAGun said:
Incorrect, 3 RCR is a light infantry battalion.

You guys above are sort of both correct.

3 RCR for a long time was a light battalion, consisting of Mike (Para) Coy, November Coy and Oscar as the other rifle coys, Q Coy as support (Recce, Sigs, AA, etc), and R Coy as CSS.

What buddy a few posts ago was getting at with "3 RCR has LAVs, LAVS = Mech", is only a short-term view of the situation.

As the provider of the battalion that formed the core of the battlegroup for Task Force 3-08 (Sep 08 to Apr 09), we were given LAVs for the purposes of tour work-up training as it would be LAVs the unit would have as primary transport / fighting overseas.

There were still plenty of dismounted ops on tour, but that is beside the point.

The reason the typically light battalion was moved to LAVs was for tour work-up.

Meanwhile, back in Ottawa, staff are doing their darnedest to further confuse things and move to a common structure for all nine bns, with the jump coys maintained in three of them.

dapaterson said:
Meanwhile, back in Ottawa, staff are doing their darnedest to further confuse things and move to a common structure for all nine bns, with the jump coys maintained in three of them.

While we wait for some bright spark up there to suggest nine battalions, each with one jump platoon.    >:D

There is no pie that can't be sliced so thin that everyone gets an equally ineffectual piece.    ;D

Michael O'Leary said:
While we wait for some bright spark up there to suggest nine battalions, each with one jump platoon.    >:D

:eek:rly: [knowing it's entirely possible, while trying not to rock back and forth like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man]

Pshaw.  We should remove the jump role from the over-tasked bns and assign it to a large group who have  lots of time on their hands to maintain their skills.

Ladies and gentlemen, I propose we make the Land Staff Airborne.  And in this era of cutbacks, I further propose to toss them out of aircraft without parachutes.

dapaterson said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I propose we make the Land Staff Airborne.  And in this era of cutbacks, I further propose to toss them out of aircraft without parachutes.

Aircraft are expensive, can't they maintain the skill through BASE jumping from the NDHQ towers?

No fuel or a/c maint cost, and no TD.  For an added saving, they can pack each others chutes.

Michael O'Leary said:
Aircraft are expensive, can't they maintain the skill through BASE jumping from the NDHQ towers?

No fuel or a/c maint cost, and no TD.  For an added saving, they can pack each others chutes.

Hey!  Didn't you read the proposal?  No chutes allowed.

Though tossing them off the NDHQ towers does sound better... though the NCC will complain about the debris in the canal - it wouldn't be the first time we found a Col floating down the canal...

Meanwhile, in a post far, far away, there's a topic that is getting lonely......................

Bruce

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Meanwhile, in a post far, far away, there's a topic that is getting lonely......................

Bruce

Which topic is that?  We can take that one of the rails as well...

Back