• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCR battalions

• Thread starter pte anthony
  • Start date
P

pte anthony

I recieved a call from the local recruiter yesterday telling me that I have been accepted to start course beginining in May. She told me that if all goes well I will end up in RCR, I have looked for informatioon on battalions 1,2 and 3 and can only find info on 1st.I know 3rd is light and the other two are mechanized. Can you RCR vets out there enlighten me about bases, battalion morale, frequency of call outs, which company in third is the jump company,websites and other relevant info.
THANK YOU

First and second are mechanized. Third is light.

First and third are in Petawawa, second is in Gagetown.

Look up the bases on the internet, they are there. As well, look for the 2 CMBG site for each battalions website. This is all the official information, there are Royals on this site who can give you the extra jazz.

Some info for you if interested:

http://www.army.dnd.ca/RCR_RHQ/English/Homepage/Homepage_e.shtm

Owen Sound, good times !! Also in Pet check out the Provincial Park for excellent fishing !

Good luck
Pro Patria !!

i was in 1&2 rcr,i liked the first better but thats my opinion.at that time 3rcr was in baden,alot of my buddies liked it over there.i got some buddies in 3 now,from talkin to them and what you see and here now adays they got good morale,espritdecorp.i dont know what you mean by callouts,these troops ain‘t molitia.giver when you get there,have fun///////that web site they got sucks,they gotta update it

Sorry about opening this old thread but I just have a quick question, I'd like to get into the 3rd battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment, is it harder to get in that battalion then it would be for the 1st and 2nd battalion?
I only ask because getting the basic para course is something I really want to do, and it offers that in the 3rd battalion and I'd really like to be posted in Petawawa, Ontario, just because it's closest to home and the environment seems really awesome.
Thanks!

Dylan

You choose your regiment (+/-)...
The CF choses which battalion you get posted to.

To say that a battalion is mech or light is a misnomer these days.  Infantry units are rotated thru Afghanistan - they need to train on the equipment that is used over there... and they all do. 
Dismounted, LAV IIIs and TLAVs ops
Chinook/Griffon airmobile operations,

the 3rd still maintains it's para capacity but, for the rest, don't sweat it.

Lots of guys out here get their basic para course (2 RCR)

There are guys I know who wanted to get posted to Petawawa, but were told they were going to 2 RCR during their DP1. And because of that, they're really pissed at the military and have already (with less than one year at battalion) decided they're not going to re-sign.

Always keep in mind you're joining the Army, and the Army will do whatever it wants with you. Do not believe the recruiting centre if they guarantee you a certain posting. Don't be one of those guys who hate the military because they don't get to live exactly where they wanted to.

Snaketnk said:
There are guys I know who wanted to get posted to Petawawa, but were told they were going to 2 RCR during their DP1. And because of that, they're really pissed at the military and have already (with less than one year at battalion) decided they're not going to re-sign.

And how many have we all known over the years who did the same thing, only to be walking in the Front Gate within a year having found life outside the CF to be even worse.

Snaketnk said:
Lots of guys out here get their basic para course (2 RCR)

Always keep in mind you're joining the Army, and the Army will do whatever it wants with you. Do not believe the recruiting centre if they guarantee you a certain posting. Don't be one of those guys who hate the military because they don't get to live exactly where they wanted to.

I definitely wont be one of those guys trust me, I'll be happy where ever they put me.

Since we are talking about this, what is the difference between 'light' infantry and 'mechanized' infantry?

mr.rhtuner said:
Since we are talking about this, what is the difference between 'light' infantry and 'mechanized' infantry?
Just what the others said. Light]] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_infantry and mechanized http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanized_infantry

ONT said:
Just what the others said. Light]] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_infantry and mechanized http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanized_infantry

Thank you, I tried to wiki it but my work blocks out certain wiki pages  :-\
I'll check it out on break

thanks guys!

Mind you, when the Brigade cycles your Mech vehicles to another Battalion, the Mech becomes fairly "light".

geo said:
Mind you, when the Brigade cycles your Mech vehicles to another Battalion, the Mech becomes fairly "light".
I got to Bn almost two years ago and the turret course I'm on right now is the first I've laid hands on a LAV for any real length of time. 

.... yeah - casue someone felt it wasn't your turn yet.... till now - Enjoy!"

As for "callouts", I've been 'called out' 3 times in 2 weeks at one point. With a fourth time a month or two after as well. It depends if your unit is on IRU or not, and then how much your Company wants to be prepared for the real thing. Wether you consider that pure c#$% (and yes it did really suck at the time) or not we were all ready for anything during that time and are prepared for anything such as the possible floods in Manitoba this April.

Back