• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Will Not Meet Recruiting Goal

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007/09/30/4538927-cp.html

RCMP will not meet recruiting goal

By John Cotter, THE CANADIAN PRESS

The RCMP will not meet its recruiting goal this year and is launching a new national campaign Monday to attract more young people to the force, The Canadian Press has learned.

The $800,000 advertising blitz is aimed at the 18-to-34 age group - potential recruits young enough to be the children of veteran officers who will be retiring in droves over the next few years.
Designed around a pitch that the RCMP offers an exciting, meaningful career with vast opportunities, the campaign will target members of the Internet generation who are being courted by other employers faced with Canada's labour shortage.

"The crucial point is that we as an organization must be seen as a viable employer and people need to know that we are hiring," said Supt. Glen Siegersma, officer in charge of the RCMP's national recruiting program in Ottawa.
"All I ask they do is take a moment and look at us as a potential employer and make an informed decision as to whether or not it is something they would like to pursue rather than writing us off because of urban myth."

Such urban myths include beliefs that the RCMP only wants to hire members of minority groups, people who are bilingual or university graduates - a throwback to conditions a decade or more ago when a tight job market allowed the force to cherry-pick recruits. 
In fact, a prospective officer must simply be a healthy Canadian citizen of good character at least 19 years old, speak English or French, have a high school diploma and possess a valid driver's licence.

The campaign will feature 34 million Internet ads, including ads on the websites of radio stations that are popular with the target age group. There will also be ads on job websites such as Monster and Workopolis and on other sites such as Hotmail and Yahoo.
Colourful posters of RCMP members in action will be placed in fitness centres and on transit buses and subways, all extolling the job as "A Career Nowhere Near Ordinary."
There will also be radio spots in Atlantic Canada and Nunavut and ads in publications aimed at post-secondary students, aboriginals and ethnic communities.

The plan is for the ads to entice young people to contact recruiters or click on the RCMP website (www.rcmp.ca) to ask about career opportunities.
The demand for new recruits has never been greater as the force expands, and more than 600 officers from the baby boom generation are to retire each year over the next few years.

While the RCMP plans to recruit about 2,000 people annually, the force will only sign up about 1,700 this year, Siegersma said from Ottawa.
"We are going to be a little shy on those goals this year."
Along with the ad campaign, the Mounties have been beating the bushes at career fairs and presentations across Canada.

At 28, the average age of Mountie recruits is creeping up. More than one-third of the 1,509 recruits who signed up last year for the training program at the Regina Depot were over 30.
Of those who managed to pass the gruelling course, 358 were in their 30s and 35 were in their 40s. Four members of the class were in their 50s.
Ten years ago, only 20 per cent of graduates were over 30. Last year, that number was up to 32 per cent.

Cadets such as Wayne Dunn, 42, and Jacques Albert, 46, say the intense physical training is not something every older person can tolerate, but they are holding their own.
"If you come here and you are in good shape, it's pretty good. You can follow everybody else," Albert said during a break from depot training.
He said his biggest challenge has been working with computers.

"When I graduated high school we didn't have computers."
Dunn said there may even be benefits to being a more marinated recruit.
"You're bringing a lot of life experience in," he said. "That can only help you."
While the RCMP is happy to have older recruits, it makes good business sense to train more young people and retain them longer, Siegersma said.

Part of the pitch to young people is that they can switch jobs regularly within the RCMP.
"We have more than 150 different types of jobs within the organization and so there are lots of opportunities for people to continue to challenge themselves over an entire career."
The growing demand for recruits doesn't mean the RCMP is lowering standards, though.

Siegersma said only about one out of every eight people who apply pass the rigid screening process. The hurdles include a written test, a polygraph and running an obstacle course. There are also medical and psychological exams and an in-depth interview.
And if accepted for training, there is no guarantee a recruit will pass the 24-week course and earn the right to wear the scarlet uniform that will mark him or her as a member of the iconic organization.

"We need the best of what Canadian society has to offer," Siegersma said.
"I would not entrust the lives of Canadian citizens to anyone who shouldn't be there. We are creating members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police."

- With files from Tim Cook in Regina

"All I ask they do is take a moment and look at us as a potential employer and make an informed decision as to whether or not it is something they would like to pursue rather than writing us off because of urban myth.Such urban myths include beliefs that the RCMP only wants to hire members of minority groups, people who are bilingual or university graduates - a throwback to conditions a decade or more ago when a tight job market allowed the force to cherry-pick recruits."

It's not an urban myth...it's the reality that the Force perpetuated throughout the 80's and 90's, due to it's shall we say "Narrowly Focused" recruiting campaign. I went to info sessions in the early 90's where I was told in no uncertain terms that I did not meet the demographic they were looking for. So we are effectively reaping what we sowed in that period...we only have ourselves to blame.

In order to attract solid recruits with life experience we need to realize that those same potential recruits come with families and debts....as a result we need to PAY them throughout their training! We also need to shorten our recruit processing time, it takes us a year + to get folks from applicant to Depot, Munis nationwide are doing it in a third of the time! Finally we need to sort our internal politics out. I can't imagine anyone reading about all our dirty laundry being too enamoured with the Force!

That being said I still have fun at work!

Noneck

I must admit that I find it absurd that RCMP cadets in Depot are not paid.  Even if it were structured as a stipend vice payroll (and there may well be reasons to structure it that way) it would do a great deal to reach out to the older person with valuable skills (and some debts).

Though I suspect the reluctance is driven by the possibility of immense retroactive payments being required to former cadets...

DA Paterson-

Cadets do actually recieve pay, however it is taken off at source to pay for R+Q, medical and insurance. You are then presented Post-Depot with a dirty big T4  around tax time.

Noneck

The 18-34 group really limits things.  After 20 years + CF service I guess I don't meet their needs.... Oh well, a whole bunch of great people must be lining up.  (My Personal gripe -WASP male, applied for job in 80s, scored 9/897, not hired).  Reap the whirlwind, boys... and girls.

Otto,

Never too late to apply! If you want to move out here, the Greater Vancouver Transport Authority Police Service is hiring like mad right now, and the majority of their members are retired RCMP or municipal police members.

Never give up!

Cheers,

MT.

"All I ask they do is take a moment and look at us as a potential employer and make an informed decision as to whether or not it is something they would like to pursue rather than writing us off because of urban myth.Such urban myths include beliefs that the RCMP only wants to hire members of minority groups, people who are bilingual or university graduates - a throwback to conditions a decade or more ago when a tight job market allowed the force to cherry-pick recruits."

So say at age 21/22, with Police Foundations, a white male actually has a chance to get on? If so, that's news to me...

My buddy applied a few of years ago. He remustered from the infantry. He was/still is a class 'B' mcpl medic  since 2002 when I was first posted at the unit. He is a volunteer firefighter. First aid instructor for military & civilian. Qualified civilian medical orderly and paramedic. Volunteers as a swimming instructor; coaches both his sons little-league soccer; volunteers as a life guard for his wife's girl-guide camps every summer. He applied over 2 years ago; did all the testing & interviews. First time he applied his paperwork went missing and when found missed the cut-off date. Second time, his case manager was on holidays and his replacement didn't know where his file was at. When it was found, was told it was too late (again) and would have to reapply again, but was told subtly that he was probably getting too old (turned 35 second time around). He finally got fed up with the BS and red tape, is now taking some courses part time at a university to upgrade so he can apply to med school. He was given a whack of credits due to his military experience and previous medical experience.

He'll make a great doctor

From the RCMP recruiting website....

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/faq_e.htm#42

32. Do I have to pay to attend the RCMP training?

The RCMP covers the following expenses: traveling to the Training Academy, uniform, training courses as well as room and board. Cadets pay for all other incidental costs, such graduation fund, school supplies, shoe polish, etc. In a recent survey, cadets said they required about $4,600 over the 24-week training period to cover incidental costs.

43. How much are newly engaged (hired) police officers paid?

When you successfully complete the Cadet Training Program and have been offered employment, you will be engaged (hired) as a regular member constable at an annual salary of $44,513. Normally, within 36 months of service, your salary will increase incrementally to $72,125 annually.

My question would be.... if your choice candidates have a choice between going to the Toronto or Montreal police academy (yes, I know, in Quebec it's a provincial academy) why would they want to be saddled with that honking big T4 slip and incidental costs.  Lost oportunities I would think!

Considering how the economy is going, why would anyone "pay" to take this training, methinks the RCMP will have to move into the 20Th century.

Paying for training isn't new or unheard of, Ontario Police College charges $7500, up from $5000 not so long ago.  This on your dime and the only thing most Ontario Police Services will do is give you a loan through the Police Credit Union.

I do agree though, something needs to be done to update the policy which was put in at a time of fiscal restraint and when recruiting targets were low and easy to fill.

However most people with the skills sets they want are already working and to take a 24 week course without pay could be a hit of $20-24,000 after taxes!!!  :eek:

This effectively precludes anyone with a mortgage in Vancouver. The RCMP have to compete with other employers and have the liability of having to offer shift work and management structure that does not currently have a great reputation on the street, they are not the employer of choice and they are going to have to deal with that fact whether they like it or not.

ColinP-
"However most people with the skills sets they want are already working and to take a 24 week course without pay could be a hit of $20-24,000 after taxes!!! This effectively precludes anyone with a mortgage in Vancouver. The RCMP have to compete with other employers and have the liability of having to offer shift work and management structure that does not currently have a great reputation on the street, they are not the employer of choice and they are going to have to deal with that fact whether they like it or not."

Then don't apply to join!

The Force knows that they have to compete, however here in the LMD municipal applicants have to pay to go to the JIBC. Some PD's like VPD offer interest free loans, however for other Departments you have to shoulder the cost yourself. Eventually this matter will be dealt with, it's just a matter of time.

What do you mean "doesn't have a great reputation on the street"....are you talking from experience or what you heard from somebody else? Ask any of the s-rats/clients  in Whalley, Richmond or Burnaby and see what they think. How about you conduct a public pole in Mayerthorpe or Hay River for that matter!

I am tired of all the b^&ching, it's not a perfect organization, but it's still one of the best police forces on the planet.

noneck

Seems like a solution to a recruiting problem.

Imagine the CF made you pay your way through recruit training?

noneck,
Up until about a year ago I would disagreed about your claim the RCMP being a good organization. My exposure, somewhat limited to "O" Division, formed my opinion and it was not positive. My opinion has changed drastically since I have been working with the TTS at Connaught. I doubt there is a more capable or professional Police Service in Canada. I now regret years ago not applying to the horsemen.
If there is anyone who assumes or believes the RCMP are less than an world class organization is greatly mistaken or as I suffered from, they had a narrow or skewed view of them.
:salute:

See, while I do have debts and would actually be losing quite a bit of cash vice current salary to go to Depot,  I probably would since I have always wanted to be a LEO.

Unfortunately, while I am a "healthy" (white male),  I am colour vision unsafe.  So I'm out.    Mom lied.  I can't do anything I put my mind to. :)

Good luck RCMP!

noneck said:
ColinP-
"However most people with the skills sets they want are already working and to take a 24 week course without pay could be a hit of $20-24,000 after taxes!!! This effectively precludes anyone with a mortgage in Vancouver. The RCMP have to compete with other employers and have the liability of having to offer shift work and management structure that does not currently have a great reputation on the street, they are not the employer of choice and they are going to have to deal with that fact whether they like it or not."

Then don't apply to join!

The Force knows that they have to compete, however here in the LMD municipal applicants have to pay to go to the JIBC. Some PD's like VPD offer interest free loans, however for other Departments you have to shoulder the cost yourself. Eventually this matter will be dealt with, it's just a matter of time.

What do you mean "doesn't have a great reputation on the street"....are you talking from experience or what you heard from somebody else? Ask any of the s-rats/clients  in Whalley, Richmond or Burnaby and see what they think. How about you conduct a public pole in Mayerthorpe or Hay River for that matter!

I am tired of all the b^&ching, it's not a perfect organization, but it's still one of the best police forces on the planet.

noneck

Perhaps you missed your boss and a number of senior management getting raked over the coals for creative accounting, among other things. I know the public didn't miss it. The public is your recruiting ground and the sort of garbage that went on at higher levels does effect peoples opinion, generally the more experienced and mature people that police forces want, weigh that sort of information into their decision. I have also met lots of members over the years and seen the frustrations with the management of the force. I not slagging the average member here, but I can't say the management and their political games impresses me much.

ColinP

Sorry, I've been too busy out there away from my family working long hours on OT doing a shi^^y job policing and trying my best to piss the general public off, to answer your e-mail.

When I have a lazy day contemplating my pension fund and the errors made by senior management, I'll get back to you.

Noneck :cdn:

OOoooohhh...time for "Tarnished Brass II" by Esprit de Corps Publishing?

noneck said:
ColinP

Sorry, I've been too busy out there away from my family working long hours on OT doing a shi^^y job policing and trying my best to piss the general public off, to answer your e-mail.

When I have a lazy day contemplating my pension fund and the errors made by senior management, I'll get back to you.

Noneck :cdn:

Exactly where was it that I insulted the general ranks?
Like it or not, the actions of your senior ranks effect the ability of the force to recruit, as does out dated policy that don't reflect the current economic situation. Hence the reason you are working long hrs on OT and will likely have to work even more as members retire. I understand that you are proud and protective of the Service you belong to, but that doen't mean you can't be critical of poor policies and ethics also. I worked for the CCG for 15 yrs, I was proud of it, but I could see how the behaviour and polices of senior managment was damaging it.

Back