• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quitting the Forces

Whew...  Thanks, my heart can start beating again.  :)  I'm going reg, so I should have all the time in the world.  Now, as soon as I get passed the NOAB, the selection board, BOTC, (perhaps with Infanteer??  ;)) I sure as hell hope the copetency will be there...  :)  Thanks again for the quick response, Che.  ;D  If I'm ever posted near england, I'll mail you a guiness.  :)

T

After the military training me to be an expert on computers, taking many courses, and loving every minute of it, they then decide to offer me a posting to train people on radio theory. It was at that moment that it became clear that the career managers and my superiors had no idea what I wanted, what I did, or what I wanted to do.

It was a shame and I would not have traded my 15 years in for anything but it certainly was the right time to bail. I have been out of the military 10 years now and it still surprises me that many people still in don't put enough value on what they can offer the job market. There are really hundreds of opportunities for normal, decent, hard working people that can actual put a sentence together.

If you are thinking of making that jump, do your research but never undervalue what you have and what the military has taught you. It takes a bit of balls to leave the family of friends and regulations behind and its not for everyone but if you've had enough of the bullshit there are many of us out here that have been successful in our second careers.

PeterLT said:
Having said that I should say that it's my fellow Soldiers that I miss the most. Sometimes when I speak to civies I feel like I was born with the wrong brain. Soldiers have a very different way of thinking which no one but soldiers can understand. Needless to say, I really enjoy this forum.
I am still in but this statement hit home.  I wrote some articles while I was in Afghanistan for the Star Phoenix in Saskatoon.  In one of the articles I described how we thought about different things including the attack that killed Short and Beerenfinger.  My dad had always tried to convice me that there were better opertunities in the civi sector that would not involve me going to dangerous locals.  He said that he realized why I did what I did after reading the articles.  I think it was the first time that he accepted the life I wanted to live.

I wrote some articles while I was in Afghanistan for the Star Phoenix in Saskatoon.

Hey Radop,

If you have the articles why not consider posting them on this site??? I'm sure it would be a good read, cheers, mdh

Although i did not quit the military ( i have considered it on a few occasions) i would like to echo previous comments here. As someone mentioned, talking to my family, and civilian freinds is a weird experience for me.  I never feel that they i can realte to their life and i am certain they cannot relate to mine. I just look at things from a less "sheltered" perspective.  I cannot see myself work a civilian job ( not that i couldn't get one if i so wished)......it's just not for me. I always feel alienated from non-military people. I can't quite put my finger on it.  My father is the only person who i can relate to outside the service and thats because he is a 22-year veteran of the CF.

My dedication to the service has never faultered trough the last 12 years but my moral has had its ups and down. The current state of some of our equipment, quality of some of our leadership, postings to less than desirable locations and political apathy have, at some point and time, caused me to reconsider my choice of career, but evrytime i think i am ready to leave, i remember the times and people that have made it unforgetable and i cannot bring myself to leave.

I have wanted to be in the military since i was 5 and i have come to the conclusion that i will be a soldier until they tell me i cannot soldier anymore.

Cheers

I have wanted to be in the military since i was 5 and i have come to the conclusion that i will be a soldier until they tell me i cannot soldier anymore.

I too have always wanted to be a Soldier from a very young age. I got news for ya, once you are a Soldier, you're a Soldier. Even when they bury you after along life, they'll have buried a Soldier. There are few things that are more permanent. I did 2 years in the Militia and 25 years in the Regs but my brother only served a few years and he still rolls his socks at 55 years old. Even after you cannot Soldier anymore, you are still a Soldier. Look at the Chelsea Pensioners, some of these old guys are in their 80's and they still parade.

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.org.uk/

Point is, even if you are no longer serving, even if you try to deny it to yourself......once a Soldier, always a Soldier!

Peter

Went through Basic in 1997, on the 7th week during our field ex (basic was only 8 weeks at this point).  I fell with full rucksack and smashed my knee into a small rock.  Hurt like a mother, but my Sgt taped me up and I finished the 13km forced march required to graduate.  When we returned to St.Jean I had my knee examined by the medics (big mistake here) they determined that I had ripped the band of tendons that secure the knee in place, and told me I would not be able to attend battleschool in my condition.  Was then told that it would take at least 8 months to heal.  My options were limited, re-muster into a softer trade (I was infantry) which posed it's own problem as you were only allowed 1 remuster during your career (I have heard it since changed)  OR quit, and reapply 6 months later.  I chose the later mainly because I would bypass basic training and could continue with the infantry no harm no foul.  Then things got horrible as delay after delay in re-processing my application cause me to miss my window and meant basic would have to be done again.  I got rather fed up with all the crap and said good bye to the CF. 

I regret it everyday.  I miss my friends, the life, everything.

I don't know about you guys.......but i want to get out bad. This military isn't a military. I know I'm making everyone mad by saying this, but it is a glorified welfare. I'm leaving to join the US Marines and i have never been happier with my life. I want occupational experience and i can not get it in this military. all this military promotes is Drinking and having a good time. I joined to be a soldier and its to bad i have to change my citizenship to do it.

Hgrant, as you haven't filled out your profile to any real degree, could you please give us a little info on what your trade is, where you are posted, etc.

I'd like to know why "this military isn't a military". What kind of experiences have you had to justify this condemnation? I know I have had my fair share of good times whilst drinking, but those days are long gone (where the drinking is front and center). The 2 beer per day in the field and (sometimes) while deployed has been around for a LOOONNNNGGGGG time now, and "smokers" are fairly rare. I would say that the drinking has dropped off dramatically in the 17 years I have been in.

Have a good one in the Corps.

Al

I'm sorry i would like to keep my profile to a min. as i do not want to get jacked for my messages here. as for my "military isn't a military". I have worked my ass off in this military only to be told that training is not an option because i am the only one there for cleaning stations. When a military is far more concerned with cleanliness then knowing your job, in my eyes it becomes less a military and more a placewhere i get payed lots of money to be a janitor. I'm sorry to all those people that work there ass off and my anger is directed to those that make this military a joke when it could be world class

I'm sorry I must have misread, was that " I'm sorry I would like to keep my profile to a min. as I am a pathetic poser who has no idea what I'm posting here for?
....oops sorry, I must have hit the "clean up the BS button again"
...hey KevinB, wheres that flag of yours?

hahahahaha.....whatever dude. you are entitled to your opinion as am i. First of all i don't know how to change my profile, and second if i did i wouldn't because i don't want my bosses to here me bitch. And you should stick to the subject instead of trying to insult people that are only trying to discuss the topics that are posted.

ValkXB70, what was your CFLRS crse serial in 1997?

Hgrant, are you finished your training, or one of the por souls who are waiting around for the green machine to free up some NCOs to teach a course?

Tom

When a military is far more concerned with cleanliness then knowing your job, in my eyes it becomes less a military and more a placewhere i get payed lots of money to be a janitor.  

I doubt you'll find that to be different in the USMC or any other military force. "Janitorial" stuff accomplishes many things beyond the obvious cleanliness. It instills a sense of responsibility to care for the surroundings you and your comrades share whether that be a barracks, a latrine, a trench or a crew served weapon. It promotes cohesiveness by sharing responsibility with others in your unit in accomplishing a task whether that task is walloping pots or being a member of a Fighting Patrol. And perhaps more importantly, it separates the team players from the cry babies. 'Nuff said.

Have fun in the Marines.

Peter :salute:  

I never said that a clean ship isent a happy ship. All im saying is training and knowing your job should fair above everything. What good is a clean rifle if you dont know how to use it

I'm thinking hgrant is here to make a bitch, slag anyone who questions him, and then slink off to whichever cave he crawled out of. Why a navy type (I'm assuming you're Navy, based on some of your comments: "clean ship", "stations")  would come to ARMY.CA to whinge about his lot in life(wah, I have to clean!!!!) is beyond me, but is guess Navy.ca isn't up and running. Oh, could be because they are off doing training, or being deployed for the umpteenth time around the world. I guess he expects the Master Seamen and PO's to do all the cleaning, while he sits on his bunk, reading Soldier of Fortune, thinking about how much of a Rambo he could be.

If you can't figure out how to change your profile, here's a hint: look up, WAY up toward the top of the page.... look carefully for "P....R....O....F.....I....L......E" and click on it, and maybe, just maybe, if you have any brains and/or balls, you could post some pertinent info in there, so we could as a group determine if you are a man, or a mouse. I think I already know the answer, but once you are free and clear of the CF, the Marine Corps can make a man of you. Or not.....

I realize that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, so I should apologize for the above paragraph, but I won't. Sometimes a fella just has to have some fun.  >:D

Al

Hgrant said:
I never said that a clean ship isent a happy ship. All im saying is training and knowing your job should fair above everything. What good is a clean rifle if you dont know how to use it

Lets just say that a dirty rifle may not fire when you need it to...

GW

Allan Luomala said:
Why a navy type (I'm assuming you're Navy, based on some of your comments: "clean ship", "stations") would come to ARMY.CA to whinge about his lot in life(wah, I have to clean!!!!) is beyond me, but is guess Navy.ca isn't up and running.

Allan,

I'm sure you are aware that all elements, arms and trades are welcome here, as well as cadets and civilians. Each has it's own forum here and are welcome to visit and comment in whichever thread they please. As long as they stay in their lanes and follow the conduct guidelines. Including those about slagging others and starting flamewars. ;)

OK, let's put the thread back on track and cease the personal attacks.

RecceGuy, I know that all are welcome (the secret handshake that is normally used by army guys is too hard to do over the internet  :-\), but I question why somebody would come to Army.ca, and not expect some form of abuse when they are crying into their hanky. They may be huggy-kissy in other "elements" but, so far, the army has rejected such modern means of consoling people. Ridicule and shame are still the SOP's for handling those that are more prone to whining than working. Call me a RTC dinosaur, but SOME of the old ways should stick around (whether the PC crowd likes it or not.......)

Face it, without these types, where would we sharpen our witty repartee???

Actually, I'm just curious what type of hard go "hgrant" has had so far to justify wanting to jump ship for the Corps? I know they have civvy contractors to handle all their janitorial requirements...... Or were those the civvy contractors doing the "interrogations"? One loses track of these types of things....

Al

Allan,

(Does secret Corps grip :) ) We get all kinds here as you know. Some are just bitter. Some have no real experience. Some just like to cause shyte. Normally, a short rebuttal is all that's necessary to make them quiet again (for awhile). We simply ask that people keep their comments on a civil level. Hell, if I can do it (for the most part, being one of the original dinosaurs) anyone should be able to.  ;D There's ways of making your point without going to the gutter. ;)

Back