• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about joining the Reserves

I am not quite sure if I can make it for this summer training ( shouldn't have anything holding me back next one though ) just wondering if I where better for me do it now to get a spot ( assuming its not to late?) and inform someone in a week or so prior if something is stopping me from attending? or sign up after?

There's no issue with you applying and being sworn in now, you can parade with your unit and gain some basic drill, dress, and deportment skills. I opted out of full time summer training because I had just started a new job and couldn't get the time off for such a large block.

Your unit will ask you when and if you're available, and will nominate you for a course accordingly.

This is bit of a relief but is this course only during summer or will there be an equal course that happens at other parts of the year?

Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) and BMQ-Land are offered both full time during the summer and on a part time basis during the winter at your local armoury.

Your trade Qualification course will likely only be available full time over the summer, but that is only after you have done your Basic courses and Driver training.

During the local training year (Sept-June), you will parade (train) one night a weekend and one weekend a month. You will do various things like drill, weapon skills, map and compass etc.

Application process normally takes quite a bit of time. If this is something you want, get in touch with the Reserve unit you want to join, and then go talk to the recruiter at the unit to get information on all requirements and to find out when the BMQ courses are. Then go through the (lengthy) application process with the local recruiting centre. With some luck, if you apply now, you may be able to start a part-time BMQ in the fall. Moral to take away from this: Talk to recruiter at the unit of your interest; start application process now.

Gunshark said:
Application process normally takes quite a bit of time. If this is something you want, get in touch with the Reserve unit you want to join, and then go talk to the recruiter at the unit to get information on all requirements and to find out when the BMQ courses are. Then go through the (lengthy) application process with the local recruiting centre. With some luck, if you apply now, you may be able to start a part-time BMQ in the fall. Moral to take away from this: Talk to recruiter at the unit of your interest; start application process now.

As someone on the other side of the application process - Absolutely start the process as soon as you are committed to being a reservist and what that entails.  Suprisingly, we have lots of people who apply to the Unit who, after making it through the lengthy application process, decide a few months in that they are no longer interested.  There is a lot of paperwork and administration that goes into recruiting individuals who then create a lot of paperwork as they release from the CAF. Paperwork that you as a new recruit likely don't see, but it influences how slow (or fast) the process is for the next guy or girl behind you.

Please don't toss in your paperwork if you aren't ready for the commitment that is expected of being a soldier (even a part time one!).

Ayrsayle said:
As someone on the other side of the application process - Absolutely start the process as soon as you are committed to being a reservist and what that entails.  Suprisingly, we have lots of people who apply to the Unit who, after making it through the lengthy application process, decide a few months in that they are no longer interested.  There is a lot of paperwork and administration that goes into recruiting individuals who then create a lot of paperwork as they release from the CAF. Paperwork that you as a new recruit likely don't see, but it influences how slow (or fast) the process is for the next guy or girl behind you.

Please don't toss in your paperwork if you aren't ready for the commitment that is expected of being a soldier (even a part time one!).

On the flip side of that, there's nothing inherently wrong with changing your mind after a long wait. Life happens, things change over the course of a couple years. In your application and your time in the reserve, try to avoid planning things like weddings around army commitments. Dates and taskings change, and you don't need to set yourself up to be bitter. Get enrolled and go on courses and taskings when and if it works for you. Keep it relaxed and fun.

There are many people waiting upwards of a year to be a class A reservist. Touch base with your unit, keep on top of your file on the CFRC side, and keep in touch. Best of luck to those applying.

Brasidas said:
On the flip side of that, there's nothing inherently wrong with changing your mind after a long wait. Life happens, things change over the course of a couple years. In your application and your time in the reserve, try to avoid planning things like weddings around army commitments. Dates and taskings change, and you don't need to set yourself up to be bitter. Get enrolled and go on courses and taskings when and if it works for you. Keep it relaxed and fun.

There are many people waiting upwards of a year to be a class A reservist. Touch base with your unit, keep on top of your file on the CFRC side, and keep in touch. Best of luck to those applying.

Concur with both comments. If your intent at the start of the application process is a part time career as a reservist that is honourable. A year long or more wait time for a full time student or someone with a full time job can most definitely change the applicant's mind and/or their circumstances may change.

Hi,

I am a first year University of Waterloo student looking to join the reserves as an infantry officer. There are two regiments nearby to my school (the Elgins and the Royal Highland Fusiliers) however I will be spending (at least my first) summer with my parents in Toronto and not in Waterloo.

Is it possible to join a regiment in Toronto and serve all of my time in the summers? Or is the one night a week, one weekend a month year round a hard requirement? I am willing and would love to spend summers training in and working with the army.

I know for sure that I will not be able to spend this summer in Waterloo, but I have signed a lease on a Waterloo place starting in the fall, and thus will be able to spend further summers there. Would it be possible to do BMQ this summer with a Toronto regiment and continue my career in a Waterloo region regiment?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my questions,

Max

Reserve units are generally inactive during the summer. Pers are either on full-time courses, supporting full-time courses or other activities, or off. Pick a unit where you are going to school.

I'll move this to a more appropriate thread when I have some time (or when mariomike tells me which one to go with), as it is not appropriate for this one, and then others can chime in and offer advice.

Loachman said:
Pick a unit where you are going to school.

I'll move this to a more appropriate thread when I have some time (or when mariomike tells me which one to go with), as it is not appropriate for this one, and then others can chime in and offer advice.

I would just lock it.

Where will I serve?
"Reservists train and work close to home."
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123#tab3

MaxZ said:
I have signed a lease on a Waterloo place starting in the fall, and thus will be able to spend further summers there.

Thank-you, mariomike.

Merged.

I did exactly this a few years back and it isn't an issue at all.

Loachman is right pick a unit in Waterloo don't waste anyone's with attach or transfer postings (which would happen if you applied for a unit that was based in Toronto).

All you have to do is call/email the unit and I say hi, I currently live in Toronto but I will be studying in Waterloo as of Sept 2016 and I am/not available for summer employment should it arise. . I want to join trade X. Then they will tell you no problem. You will likely have to travel to Waterloo (especially because you are applying as an officer) to do an interview/information session. The unit will then give you a letter, You then bring said letter to CFRC Toronto and they process your application as normal. Once your file is complete or September is looming closely tell CFRC Toronto to Transfer it CFRC Kitchener/Waterloo (not sure which it is but they will tell you) and the unit will either swear you in or you continue with your application.

Other Points:
- You may get a call (like i did) saying "uhh yeah we have an information session in 3 days we need you to be in City X for 19h. It may or may not happen but it could happen.
- If you chose to go back to Toronto for future summers make sure you tell your unit. Your unit will assume that you are taking the bus to CFB XYZ for the trade course from Waterloo but you need to either make arrangements for a POMV (Personal privately [1] owned military vehicle) approval or see if ops can get you on a bus from Toronto.) Either way the world wont end, but I'd suggest leaving your kit in your apartment should you go back home for future summers and then just take the GO Train to Kitchener and get on the bus with your friends.  (1st 2 summers I went home to my parents place, first summer I paid a buddy all of his meals, a 60 of whiskey and a 24 of beer to drive me the base and got my mom to pick me up when the course ended, the 2nd summer I left my kit in my apt and went back to my parents, when I got the call I got on a train to the city where I was studying and then got on the bus with all my friends form my unit.)
- Likewise if your file is processed and they can load you on a course for this summer make sure they realize (tell them again) that you are in Toronto not Waterloo.

Lastly, make sure INF O is the trade you want to do, transferring trades once you are in the reserves is a pain, and you have much more mobility as a civilian. (Nothing wrong with INF-O, just make sure that it is what you want)

If you have any other questions post here (if i don't reply pm me).

Cheers

Édit [1] : thanks Mario and George

runormal said:
Your unit will assume that you are taking the bus to CFB XYZ for the trade course from Waterloo but you need to either make arrangements for a POMV (Personal owned military vehicle) approval or see if ops can get you on a bus from Toronto.)

I thought POMV stood for Privately Owned Motor Vehicle?

So I just swore in to my reserve unit a week ago, and will probably be going to BMQ this summer as I missed the spring course. Now what I'm wondering is I have applied to some universities in out of province and want to go if I get in. But would still like to stay a part of my unit. Would I be able to parade with another unit during the school year(4 years) and then come back to train with my hometown unit over summer? During my interview, the military career counsellor said not a problem but I feel bad joining my unit and then telling them I that I want to pursue a degree outside of town. Would I be able to get some insight on the process and how to pursue it.

Dab22 said:
Would I be able to parade with another unit during the school year(4 years) and then come back to train with my hometown unit over summer?

You may find this discussion of interest,

QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/16735.0.html
"Is it possible to join a regiment in Toronto and serve all of my time in the summers?"
"Would it be possible to do BMQ this summer with a Toronto regiment and continue my career in a Waterloo region regiment?"
See reply #104 to reply #108.

Lol!!! I know it's just a slip, but it's FUNNY!!!

I'm sorry my privately owned Light Armoured Vehicle is taking up your driveway... Umm... please excuse my Bison - it has gas!!

I'm sorry runnormal.

runormal said:
I did exactly this a few years back and it isn't an issue at all.

Loachman is right pick a unit in Waterloo don't waste anyone's with attach or transfer postings (which would happen if you applied for a unit that was based in Toronto).

All you have to do is call/email the unit and I say hi, I currently live in Toronto but I will be studying in Waterloo as of Sept 2016 and I am/not available for summer employment should it arise. . I want to join trade X. Then they will tell you no problem. You will likely have to travel to Waterloo (especially because you are applying as an officer) to do an interview/information session. The unit will then give you a letter, You then bring said letter to CFRC Toronto and they process your application as normal. Once your file is complete or September is looming closely tell CFRC Toronto to Transfer it CFRC Kitchener/Waterloo (not sure which it is but they will tell you) and the unit will either swear you in or you continue with your application.

Other Points:
- You may get a call (like i did) saying "uhh yeah we have an information session in 3 days we need you to be in City X for 19h. It may or may not happen but it could happen.
- If you chose to go back to Toronto for future summers make sure you tell your unit. Your unit will assume that you are taking the bus to CFB XYZ for the trade course from Waterloo but you need to either make arrangements for a POMV (Personal privately [1] owned military vehicle) approval or see if ops can get you on a bus from Toronto.) Either way the world wont end, but I'd suggest leaving your kit in your apartment should you go back home for future summers and then just take the GO Train to Kitchener and get on the bus with your friends.  (1st 2 summers I went home to my parents place, first summer I paid a buddy all of his meals, a 60 of whiskey and a 24 of beer to drive me the base and got my mom to pick me up when the course ended, the 2nd summer I left my kit in my apt and went back to my parents, when I got the call I got on a train to the city where I was studying and then got on the bus with all my friends form my unit.)
- Likewise if your file is processed and they can load you on a course for this summer make sure they realize (tell them again) that you are in Toronto not Waterloo.

Lastly, make sure INF O is the trade you want to do, transferring trades once you are in the reserves is a pain, and you have much more mobility as a civilian. (Nothing wrong with INF-O, just make sure that it is what you want)

If you have any other questions post here (if i don't reply pm me).

Cheers

Édit [1] : thanks Mario and George

So I would bring this letter from the Waterloo Regiment to CFRC Toronto, and then do BMQ in Toronto this summer? That would be ideal for me. I am currently in Waterloo because I am in first year university already, but I will only be going back to Toronto for April-August, then I will be back in Waterloo.

Thank you for the help and detailed post, much appreciated.

Back